Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:38 PM   #1
FooArk
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exclamation iPad Mini Screen Impressions [Merged]

I know when I had an iPhone 4 and then bought an iPad 2, I hated the bad resolution.

Now I am used to nice iPhone 5 and Retina iPad 3. Will the iPad Mini look bad to me?
FooArk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Deasnutz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Yes, you don't need it with the devices you have already.
Deasnutz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:41 PM   #3
doboy
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooArk View Post
I know when I had an iPhone 4 and then bought an iPad 2, I hated the bad resolution.

Now I am used to nice iPhone 5 and Retina iPad 3. Will the iPad Mini look bad to me?
Only you can answer how it looks to YOU. You should try to visit Apple store to see for yourself because everyone has different eye sight and standards.
__________________
iPhone 2G, 3GS, 4, & 6 | 15" MB Pro & 13" MBA | Apple TV2 | iPad 1, 2, 3, Air (kept), & rMini (returned) | GSIII, Note II, & LG G2

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Peanut207
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
To me it was. Guess I'm just to used to the iPhone4/5 and iPad3. It wasn't so much that the text was too small but it was too pixelated for me to read web pages comfortably. I like holding my iPad in portrait and with the mini I found it difficult to read the small pixelated text.

This is just my opinion and others may not find the screen to be a problem at all to them. Apple has spoiled me with Retina and the mini has actually made me appreciate my big, beautiful iPad3.
Peanut207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:08 AM   #5
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I must apologize - iPad Mini

I have to apologize to all of the people that I questioned when they said that the iPad mini screen was terrible.

I bought the Mini and returned it within 24 hours. Why? It was smooth, fairly enjoyable to use, but that screen...the screen isn't just bad...it's horrendous.

I congratulate every one of you who love your minis and I wish you years of enjoyment, but for me I can't understand how it is selling so well.

I was able to return mine and leave with an iPad 4 for $170. That's a small price to pay for such a dramatic upgrade.

Again, it's just one person's opinion and I don't begrudge anyone who enjoys theirs, but I am stunned Apple put out a product in 2012 with such a porous display.
cardinalryan is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:10 AM   #6
yoyo5280
macrumors 68000
 
yoyo5280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
I'm not sure how many of these threads are going to pop up on here.

Okay, so you didn't like going from retina to non retina. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
tweet!
join #macrumors on irc.krono.net and look for Omi
yoyo5280 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:11 AM   #7
mcdj
macrumors 604
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Congrats on creating the 1000th separate thread about the mini screen.

I think it's time to make a separate forum dedicated to the ipad mini screen.
__________________
Great cage! No bird...
50f/2
mcdj is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:14 AM   #8
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo5280 View Post
I'm not sure how many of these threads are going to pop up on here.

Okay, so you didn't like going from retina to non retina. Thanks for sharing.
Agreed, these threads are getting rather tedious.
__________________
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?
ucfgrad93 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:16 AM   #9
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
What's ridiculous is people buying it and returning it because of the screen. You realize you can test the ipad out right?
FrozenDarkness is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Sdahe
macrumors 68000
 
Sdahe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Juan, PR
Thats right... Cant you test the ipad mini at the store before buying it?
__________________
iMac 27" 2.7GHz i5 | iPhone 5S 32GB | Apple TV
Sdahe is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:22 AM   #11
orpheus1120
macrumors 65816
 
orpheus1120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdahe View Post
Thats right... Cant you test the ipad mini at the store before buying it?
If they do, they won't get the chance to rant all over the Internet then.
orpheus1120 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:23 AM   #12
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdahe View Post
Thats right... Cant you test the ipad mini at the store before buying it?
No, I felt like buying it, taking it home and using it.

Does it have a return policy? I believe the answer is yes, so I thought I'd utilize that return policy.

I'm merely stating that the screen is junk. This is a maddeningly sad Apple product. They'll sell the heck out of them...I don't get it, but they will sell.
cardinalryan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:26 AM   #13
yoyo5280
macrumors 68000
 
yoyo5280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
Again however, we all want to know why you feel the need to create a brand new thread (As if there aren't already tons) stating that you returned it because of the screen.

Search before posting.
__________________
tweet!
join #macrumors on irc.krono.net and look for Omi
yoyo5280 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:27 AM   #14
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus1120 View Post
If they do, they won't get the chance to rant all over the Internet then.
I just don't get why so many people on this forum take it so personally that Apple flubbed up this device.

As for the "rant"...this is a Mac forum, people are going to rant (good and bad) about Apple products here! Neat, isn't it??

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo5280 View Post
Again however, we all want to know why you feel the need to create a brand new thread (As if there aren't already tons) stating that you returned it because of the screen.

Search before posting.
No, I liked the idea of having my own thread! Thanks for adding something constructive (sarcasm) to it!!
cardinalryan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:27 AM   #15
Sdahe
macrumors 68000
 
Sdahe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Juan, PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
No, I felt like buying it, taking it home and using it.

Does it have a return policy? I believe the answer is yes, so I thought I'd utilize that return policy.

I'm merely stating that the screen is junk. This is a maddeningly sad Apple product. They'll sell the heck out of them...I don't get it, but they will sell.
So you knew from the beggining you were not going to be satisfied with the screen...
__________________
iMac 27" 2.7GHz i5 | iPhone 5S 32GB | Apple TV
Sdahe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:27 AM   #16
fupresti
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
I just don't get why so many people on this forum take it so personally that Apple flubbed up this device.
Flubbed is your interpretation. I happen to think the Mini is the best iPad they have ever created and I have owned every single one so far.
__________________
13" Macbook Air
32GB "New iPad", 32 GB iPhone 5
TV 3
fupresti is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:28 AM   #17
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
It's fine. I merely pointed it out because the crux if your sad rant is the fact you returned it within 24 hrs as if ten minutes in the store wouldn't have given you the same conclusion

You sound really sad.
FrozenDarkness is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:28 AM   #18
yoyo5280
macrumors 68000
 
yoyo5280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
Thanks for adding something constructive (sarcasm) to it!!
Because tedious 'rants' and the desire to clutter the forums with repetitive threads is constructive.

/me throws down the mic and screams "I'm out!"
__________________
tweet!
join #macrumors on irc.krono.net and look for Omi
yoyo5280 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:29 AM   #19
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdahe View Post
So you knew from the beggining you were not going to be satisfied with the screen...
I knew it would be somewhat inferior to what I am used to, but I really didn't know how dramatic the difference would be.
cardinalryan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:30 AM   #20
mcdj
macrumors 604
 
mcdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
No, I liked the idea of having my own thread! Thanks for adding something constructive (sarcasm) to it!!
Thanks for adding something unique.
__________________
Great cage! No bird...
50f/2
mcdj is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:31 AM   #21
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenDarkness View Post
It's fine. I merely pointed it out because the crux if your sad rant is the fact you returned it within 24 hrs as if ten minutes in the store wouldn't have given you the same conclusion

You sound really sad.
Actually, quite the opposite! I'm very happy with my iPad 4...I am a little sad that the Cowboys lost again, but I'm used to Jason Garrett's poor play calling and predictable results.
cardinalryan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:33 AM   #22
Sdahe
macrumors 68000
 
Sdahe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Juan, PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
I knew it would be somewhat inferior to what I am used to, but I really didn't know how dramatic the difference would be.
Can you tell us what was the things that you didn't like from the screen... I know the reolution but what were those things that you saw in that screen that made you say... This is really bad
__________________
iMac 27" 2.7GHz i5 | iPhone 5S 32GB | Apple TV
Sdahe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:35 AM   #23
dsa420
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Yes the screen is THAT bad, especially if you have an iPhone 5 and iPad 3/4.

If you could somehow get Will Smith or Tommy Lee Jones to come and zap you with one of those things from Men in Black that makes you lose your memory you could be alright. Bottom line = going from retina to mini display = terrible.
dsa420 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:35 AM   #24
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
Okay thanks for your informative thread. Bye now
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:36 AM   #25
LS1
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
OP should be banned for spamming.
LS1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roundup: iPad Air and Retina iPad Mini First Impressions MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 298 Oct 30, 2013 09:22 AM
iPad Mini: [MERGED] The iPad Mini looks beautiful until you turn it on. Nikos iPad 415 Nov 7, 2012 11:54 PM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini Impressions Fissure iPad 0 Nov 3, 2012 02:25 PM
What color ipad mini should I get/are you getting?? [Merged] Christian 5G iPad 48 Oct 26, 2012 05:03 AM
So Apple got a 4" screen correct?/Samsung Galaxy S3 mini [Merged] gadget123 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 145 Oct 12, 2012 01:27 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC