Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I think the iPad mini display is fine personally i love the portability of how nice and easy it is to carry around.The problem i have with the iPad mini is i just think it just a slight small for watch films on or Tv but that just me a part from that works like a charm.But that my personally preference i prefer the bigger iPad for movies and Tv.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I know when I had an iPhone 4 and then bought an iPad 2, I hated the bad resolution.

Now I am used to nice iPhone 5 and Retina iPad 3. Will the iPad Mini look bad to me?

Based on the information you have given us, if you look at the Mini's screen, you will have the same experience when you went from the iPhone 4 to the iPad 2. There's no reason why your experience should be any different. That said, you should go to the Apple Store to check it out for yourself.

----------

The issue is completely overblown by the spec fans that care more about what's inside than how the device works!

Umm, we are talking about how the device works. The Retina Display is not just a "spec" or "what's inside", it's what you have to look at when you interact with the mini.

Royalcards

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
I love the portabilility of the mini. Just zoom in and double tap and your problem solved about reading.. Then u begin to enjoy its lightness and sleek design. The bigger lpad look antique to me :D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
people saying play with it in store....you do realize it takes more than 10 minutes of playing with the device before you 100% know whether or not it will work for you? It was not until a good 10 hours in that I realized it was really hard on the eyes. Just using it in the store for about 20 minutes is not enough to get a good feel of the display.

I think the mini working for each person depends on their usage. I would say if you are just a casual user who will surf the web here and there it is perfect; However, if you are really going to log a lot of hours the display can start to mess with your eyes if you are use to retina.

For the price you pay, it is a good device. I would never get anything bigger than 16gb and definitely not applecare since it is a given next year will be a better model.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
The ipad mini is exactly comfortable to grasp with one hand because its too wide. As far as the apps scaling thats Apples fault for messing up in the first place and not making iOS with multiple resolutions in mind like android, windows, blackberry, and pretty much any other os works.

Is this why there are very few Android apps optimize for Android tablets? Most of just android phone apps stretched to a larger screen?

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Having used a iPad mini, I think it's a sensational product for the 1st iteration, the build quality is fantastic, it's light exactly the right size for readers and the screen isn't as bad as people are making out.... that being said; i'd wait until next year when hopefully

it gets a A6 or A6X when they can shrink it down for the form factor.
it gets a 'retina' screen.

nataliamck

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
This may be a believe or not post but thought I would post anyway...

Have had my iPad mini since Friday, must admit I am one of the ones who didn't like the screen. Coming from iPad 3 also have iPhone 5 and rMBP I just couldn't get my eyes to adjust but fully intend on keeping it since the other benefits of the mini outweigh the not so great screen.

Anyway, I was in the Apple Store yesterday having a look at the mini's and noticed their screen looked a lot better than mine (I used Macrumors to test). The text was much more clear. I even got my friend to look and then look at mine when we got home, she agreed the ones in store looked clearer. So I made a Genuis bar appointment for this week.

However, just out of curiosity, I did a hard reset on my mini and low and behold the screen looked a little crisper. Definitely a difference. I am going to take my mini to the Apple Store this week and compare side by side with the display models but thought this might be useful to some people. It might be a problem with certain screens so check it out before you return :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This may be a believe or not post but thought I would post anyway...

Have had my iPad mini since Friday, must admit I am one of the ones who didn't like the screen. Coming from iPad 3 also have iPhone 5 and rMBP I just couldn't get my eyes to adjust but fully intend on keeping it since the other benefits of the mini outweigh the not so great screen.

Anyway, I was in the Apple Store yesterday having a look at the mini's and noticed their screen looked a lot better than mine (I used Macrumors to test). The text was much more clear. I even got my friend to look and then look at mine when we got home, she agreed the ones in store looked clearer. So I made a Genuis bar appointment for this week.

However, just out of curiosity, I did a hard reset on my mini and low and behold the screen looked a little crisper. Definitely a difference. I am going to take my mini to the Apple Store this week and compare side by side with the display models but thought this might be useful to some people. It might be a problem with certain screens so check it out before you return :)

I have seen a few people post about the screen. Makes me also want to go into apple and compare a few side by side.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Is this pixelated?

nexusae0_IMG_3855_thumb.jpg

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
Here is a screenshot from my Mini zoomed in way closer than anyone would ever be viewing this forum or any text. Click it and look at it full size. If it looks pixelated, you are extremely anal about things. The screen is just fine for most everything under normal use and I have an iPhone 5.
The mini screenshot text is definitely fuzzy in comparison to the text of your post (no need to zoom in). I don't know how people can say that screen is acceptable.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
I have to apologize to all of the people that I questioned when they said that the iPad mini screen was terrible.

I bought the Mini and returned it within 24 hours. Why? It was smooth, fairly enjoyable to use, but that screen...the screen isn't just bad...it's horrendous.

I congratulate every one of you who love your minis and I wish you years of enjoyment, but for me I can't understand how it is selling so well.

I was able to return mine and leave with an iPad 4 for $170. That's a small price to pay for such a dramatic upgrade.

Again, it's just one person's opinion and I don't begrudge anyone who enjoys theirs, but I am stunned Apple put out a product in 2012 with such a porous display.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me. I got the thing home and started using it. It was slick and the size was perfect, but the font when reading forums made it REAL apparant that this was no where close to retina resolution. Therefore it went back for a iPad 4.

I gotta say, I haven't had an iPad since the iPad 1 back on Launch day 2008. For me, the mini felt like it wasn't really worth the $349. The ipad 4 on the other hand felt it was worth every bit of the $599 I paid. An amazing product. They have come a long way since the 1, that's for sure.

Just one guys opinion FWIW...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but the font when reading forums made it REAL apparant that this was no where close to retina resolution. Therefore it went back for a iPad 4.
That's the bottom line, if you want, expect or need a retina quality display for your tablet then the mini is not the right tool. We can complain, whine and curse about the lack of retina display on the mini but that won't change the fact.

For many folks including myself the size of the tablet far outweighs the retina display and so I'm very happy with the tablet, but to each his own.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
people saying play with it in store....you do realize it takes more than 10 minutes of playing with the device before you 100% know whether or not it will work for you? It was not until a good 10 hours in that I realized it was really hard on the eyes. Just using it in the store for about 20 minutes is not enough to get a good feel of the display.

Couldn't agree more. At the store, I thought, this thing is cool and the screen looks great!!! So, I grabbed a 32GB black. It was saturday morning before I realized that it needed to go.

Honestly glad I did. I love the iPad 4.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
This is EXACTLY what happened to me. I got the thing home and started using it. It was slick and the size was perfect, but the font when reading forums made it REAL apparant that this was no where close to retina resolution. Therefore it went back for a iPad 4.

I gotta say, I haven't had an iPad since the iPad 1 back on Launch day 2008. For me, the mini felt like it wasn't really worth the $349. The ipad 4 on the other hand felt it was worth every bit of the $599 I paid. An amazing product. They have come a long way since the 1, that's for sure.

Just one guys opinion FWIW...

Couldn't agree more, well said :)

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Umm, we are talking about how the device works. The Retina Display is not just a "spec" or "what's inside", it's what you have to look at when you interact with the mini.

No. The mini functions perfectly well without the retina display - which is how it works. It looks great and is very sharp. Not retina sharp, but plenty sharp not to cause eye strain or make viewing it unpleasant.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
Norm in MacRumors:

If I have the iPad mini:

Nooooooooo!! The screen is NOT bad at all. It's excellent, crystal clear. I have no problem reading any small text PDF, they are crystal clear, clearer than fine print text! What's the point of having 2xxppi! It's much better than the iPad 1/2! You wouldn't be complaining if it is 2010!

If I don't have the iPad mini:

WTF Apple released a low resolution screen in late 2012? It's a money grab. I won't buy it unless it has retina. Never. My eyes bleed. I got a headache just by looking at it.

:D

This sums it up perfectly!

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
No. The mini functions perfectly well without the retina display - which is how it works. It looks great and is very sharp. Not retina sharp, but plenty sharp not to cause eye strain or make viewing it unpleasant.

You had me there until this line. If you are saying it looks great and is very sharp, you just totally negated the utility of a Retina Display, which Apple heavily relies on not just for marketing purposes and sales, but also to provide their customers with the best viewing experience technology can provide. Saying that non-Retina is very sharp and Retina is very sharp (which it is), are mutually exclusive statements.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
You had me there until this line. If you are saying it looks great and is very sharp, you just totally negated the utility of a Retina Display, which Apple heavily relies on not just for marketing purposes and sales, but also to provide their customers with the best viewing experience technology can provide. Saying that non-Retina is very sharp and Retina is very sharp (which it is), are mutually exclusive statements.

'Very sharp' is a subjective measurement, so they are not mutually exclusive at all.

In my eyes, yes, the retina display is sharper (as I previously stated, and therefore completely debunking your mutually exclusive argument). However, the non-retina-but-higher-ppi-than-ipad2 resolution of the iPad mini is very sharp.

If you want to be pedantic, you can take this to mean that, IMO, the iPad mini is 'very sharp', whilst the iPad 3/4 (retina) is 'very, very sharp'.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

Really?

So now every review on non-Retina monitors, that mentions it as being 'very sharp', is wrong?

My non-Retina IPS monitors are very sharp; Just not retina sharp. :D

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
So now every review on non-Retina monitors, that mentions it as being 'very sharp', is wrong?

Well, if you put it this way, then I will have to answer in the affirmative. Yes, these reviews, which are the minority, are wrong. In fact, show me a review (not a forum post by a proud new owner) that explicitly states the screen is "very sharp". I've used a mini extensively and my own eyes show me that the screen is not "very sharp". Go to CNN.com and then try to tell me the list of headlines are "very sharp".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.