Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:41 AM   #1
asimmd
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Do I Buy a Mac Mini or Not

HI Gang

I was going to order the Mac Mini today but with all the problems related to the black screens,I am wondering if I should wait.

Question is,does the black screen problem stop you from using the Mini,or does it only do it say once a day and then it's OK.

I want the Mini to run Logic Pro,so constantly going off and losing data is no good to me.

No one has said if Apple have recognised this as a fault,nor if they are working on a fix?

Alan
asimmd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:39 AM   #2
lcseds
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NC, USA
Guess you could let a few people scare you off. However, my new mini has been great. And if there is a problem with video, Apple will fix it by an update. More a driver issue than a hardware issue. I am using the mini displayport output. No issues.
__________________
Late 2013 13" i5 rMBP, 128GB iPad Air, 64GB iPhone 5, 2012 mac Mini, Apple TV, Pissed wife.
lcseds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:45 AM   #3
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcseds View Post
Guess you could let a few people scare you off. However, my new mini has been great. And if there is a problem with video, Apple will fix it by an update. More a driver issue than a hardware issue. I am using the mini displayport output. No issues.
I haven't had any issues either. I am using the included HDMI to DVI adapter.
__________________
Two2seveN
www.facebook.com/applefixdfw
Instagram: @AppleFixDFW
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:43 AM   #4
k.alexander
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I also have not had the black screen problem. Using an HDMI to HDMI connection to a 46" Sony LCD TV.
k.alexander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:00 PM   #5
That-Guy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Got my Mini about 3 hours ago and not had a problem yet *fingers crossed*

Running HDMI to HDMI to a Samsung 24" LED Monitor
__________________
Mac Mini Late 2012 - 2.5GHz Core i5 - 16gb RAM - 120gb SSD + 500gb HDD
iPhone 5S | iPad Air | Apple TV 3rd Gen | Airport Express 3rd Gen
Website | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Garden4Gods
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.alexander View Post
I also have not had the black screen problem. Using an HDMI to HDMI connection to a 46" Sony LCD TV.
How far do you sit from the screen and have you any problems reading web text, or text in general?
Garden4Gods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:33 PM   #7
k.alexander
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden4Gods View Post
How far do you sit from the screen and have you any problems reading web text, or text in general?
I am sitting from between 3 to 7 ft from the screen. This is a temporary setup (although I have to say, editing photos on a 46" display is AMAZING). There is no problem reading text. Sure at only 1920x1080 resolution stretched over a 46" screen, sitting at 3', the text is not what apple would call "retina", but it's perfectly legible, just a little jagged-edged. At 5-6' it looks fine. At 7-8' which is about as far as I can go in this room, the text becomes kind of on the very small side to read, ie, barely/if at all big enough and at this point I need to start making it bigger.
k.alexander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Garden4Gods
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.alexander View Post
I am sitting from between 3 to 7 ft from the screen. This is a temporary setup (although I have to say, editing photos on a 46" display is AMAZING). There is no problem reading text. Sure at only 1920x1080 resolution stretched over a 46" screen, sitting at 3', the text is not what apple would call "retina", but it's perfectly legible, just a little jagged-edged. At 5-6' it looks fine. At 7-8' which is about as far as I can go in this room, the text becomes kind of on the very small side to read, ie, barely/if at all big enough and at this point I need to start making it bigger.
Ok, thanks. I was just trying to get an idea of how it would look on my 50" Pioneer KRP-500A @ roughly 8 feet viewing distance.
Garden4Gods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:51 PM   #9
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimmd View Post
HI Gang

I was going to order the Mac Mini today but with all the problems related to the black screens,I am wondering if I should wait.

Question is,does the black screen problem stop you from using the Mini,or does it only do it say once a day and then it's OK.

I want the Mini to run Logic Pro,so constantly going off and losing data is no good to me.

No one has said if Apple have recognised this as a fault,nor if they are working on a fix?

Alan
think of it as a slow blink of the eyes. I am getting 2 to 4 a day they come last 1 or 2 or 3 seconds then right back to where I was.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Of these three - which Mac mini would you buy? dapitts08 Buying Tips and Advice 21 Apr 9, 2013 04:06 PM
looking to buy some old Mac display, will they work with new MBP's and Mac Mini's? Matt Leaf Mac Peripherals 1 Sep 26, 2012 08:44 AM
buy a used mac mini 2011 model or wait for 2012 mac mini? Che Castro Buying Tips and Advice 2 Sep 7, 2012 11:06 PM
Should I buy Mac Mini Now? Jazper Mac mini 39 Jul 7, 2012 11:15 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC