Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1
ilovemyibook
macrumors regular

iPad Mini Wifi issues

The wifi on my iPad Mini and my brothers is awful! It keeps disconnecting on both of ours. I have an iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3 and an iPhone 4 and none of them have wifi issues. We are both running IOS 6.0.1. If I shut my iPad off I have to manually reconnect it, and if it sits for several hours it will disconnect. Both of us are experiencing the same issues. I love my Mini, but this is driving me nuts. Did we both get bad iPads?? I've reset the wifi settings on our iPads, and I'm now out of ideas.
ilovemyibook is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:48 PM   #2
freejack
macrumors regular

Please see this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1483145

and also a thread on this on the official apple forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20208022#20208022
freejack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Mr.damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyibook View Post
The wifi on my iPad Mini and my brothers is awful! It keeps disconnecting on both of ours. I have an iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3 and an iPhone 4 and none of them have wifi issues. We are both running IOS 6.0.1. If I shut my iPad off I have to manually reconnect it, and if it sits for several hours it will disconnect. Both of us are experiencing the same issues. I love my Mini, but this is driving me nuts. Did we both get bad iPads?? I've reset the wifi settings on our iPads, and I'm now out of ideas.
We are very sad to hear that your brother is that ugly. I think we can find a solution for the wifi but can't do much for your brother.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:36 AM   #4
ilovemyibook
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freejack View Post
Please see this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1483145

and also a thread on this on the official apple forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20208022#20208022
I already read those before posting, and no one really had any advice that I already hadn't considered. I don't like creating threads unless I actually need it. Thanks for the help though!
ilovemyibook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:47 AM   #5
radioking
macrumors member

I had the same problem. Instead of selecting the network from the list, click on "Other..." and enter it manually. This worked for me.
radioking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:05 AM   #6
ilovemyibook
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioing View Post
I had the same problem. Instead of selecting the network from the list, click on "Other..." and enter it manually. This worked for me.
I tried that, and I'm still having issues. Thank you though!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:16 AM   #7
rasputinj
macrumors regular

will need to check on my mini, so far no issues that I know of. It seems to have similar coverage to my iphone 5 and iPad 2.
rasputinj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:18 AM   #8
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

I don't know what you've tried or not but it might be worth checking to see what channels your neighbors are using. Many people end up on channels 1, 6, or 11. I used iStumbler on my MBP and found that most of my neighbors were on the same channel as myself. Changing my channel seemed to increase my speed. While I didn't have the disconnect problem you're having I was seeing some slow speeds. Then again it could just be faulty wifi and you might want to exchange your ipad. Best of luck.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:21 AM   #9
KingArthurVI
macrumors regular

Weird, my apartment has lots of wifi networks around it so conflicting channels is definitely an issue but so far my iPad mini has not dropped wifi signal yet. I would suggest you bring it to your nearest Apple store and have them look at it.
Nintendo 3DS XL
KingArthurVI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:25 AM   #10
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyibook View Post
I tried that, and I'm still having issues. Thank you though!
How is the Wifi when you are out and about like at places with Free wifi like fast food places, libraries or downtown? Does the wifi still drop outside the house?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:47 AM   #11
Swayzee
macrumors member

I am at home and right next to my router and it is painfully slow. Is this an issue that most people are having or do some of us just have defective minis? also, will this be fixable with a software update? or am i better off exchanging it when i get the chance?
Swayzee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:07 AM   #12
ilovemyibook
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyNJ66 View Post
How is the Wifi when you are out and about like at places with Free wifi like fast food places, libraries or downtown? Does the wifi still drop outside the house?
It drops everywhere, whereas my other iPads won't. I have Wednesday and Thursday off, so I'll return it then. I won't be able to take it to an Apple Store though because the closest one is 4 hours away.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:11 AM   #13
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

On iOS 6, not patched:

My iPad Mini drops connection when it is asleep per normal. It periodically connects while sleeping to check email and such (alerts do go off while it is asleep). When I wake it, it takes a few seconds but it reconnects without issue.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:13 AM   #14
Hello...
macrumors 6502a

The iPad mini is much better finding and keeping Wi-Fi that my iPad 3.
Hello... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:29 AM   #15
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

I went from the mini to the 4 and the first thing I noticed was how much better the wifi strength was. Places I would lose wifi on the mini I still had a strong signal on the 4.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:24 PM   #16
ilovemyibook
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioking View Post
When I woke up, I reset my network setting and did what you advised and now it's working! Thank you so very much!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:57 PM   #17
SoldierOfDawn
macrumors newbie

Eureka!

I think I may have actually found what the issue may be with the iPad Mini as well the iPhone 5. Through rigorous network tests and configuration changes I think I may have pegged this to 802.11n reception issue. I noticed that the networks I would try and connect to would give me "freezing issues"
(I would have full signal but pages would stop loading)
I then began fine-tuning the wireless channel only to find temporary relief from the issue. When I finally disabled the wireless n transmission and switched to b & g only I was able to connect with no further issue. I have confirmed this with Apple Airport Extreme, Cisco E4200, Pakedge WAP-W3N. In each case I was able to improve overall wireless connectivity and performance by disabling wireless n radio. Most likely a software bug that I think was helped with 6.0.2 release but not fully taken care of. Pretty sad on apple's part to release unfinished products like this, Q&A is getter pretty bad obviously.
SoldierOfDawn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:06 PM   #18
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

I lose it lots more on the mini than the 4th gen, especially in B&N, Starbucks, the library, etc. Not so much in my home though as elsewhere.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad