Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Sensamic
macrumors 68000

Is it possible to Airplay from iPad to a Mac mini?

Hey.

I have an iPad and the Mac mini from 2010. I was wondering if it's possible to Airplay a video from iPad to the Mac mini just like someone would do with the Apple tv.

Maybe with a program? I think I've read somewhere that there were Mac apps that allowed airplay streaming.

Or maybe the airplay feature is available on mountain lion? I read it's to stream the Mac screen to an Apple tv, but could it work also the other way around?

I would like to avoid buying an Apple tv since I already use the Mac mini as a media center on my living room.

Thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:40 PM   #2
sanjuvarma
macrumors member

http://www.airserverapp.com/
sanjuvarma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:40 PM   #3
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

There is a program called "Reflections" that will do this. In my testing it had some problems, although most of it was likely due to my antiquated wireless router.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:51 PM   #4
silentbob007
macrumors regular

I've used the Reflection app (from the interent and not the App store) and it works pretty well (though it's pay). There's no guarantee how long it will work though considering it's not an "official" app (and essentially backdoors the airplay mechanism).
silentbob007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Treq
macrumors 6502a

AirServer has work very well for me. Although recently I discovered a conflict between Eyetv and AirServer that would make live tv via Eyetv to do funky things every 90 seconds. Both developers have been in formed and hopefully a patch is on the way. So, for now, I don't keep AirServer running. If I need it, I start it. Other than that, It works awesome.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:11 AM   #6
TRAV9614
macrumors regular

If you are just looking to use your Mac mini as a Apple TV and use your ipad to control what you want to play then you can use the ipad remote app. With this app you can use your ipad to control what music and video are playing through your Mac mini. I think this is a good solution to what you were trying to do. The only draw pack is you can only play things in your iTunes library. I hope I helped.
TRAV9614 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:12 AM   #7
TRAV9614
macrumors regular

If you are just looking to use your Mac mini as a Apple TV and use your ipad to control what you want to play then you can use the ipad remote app in the App Store. With this app you can use your ipad to control what music and video are playing through your Mac mini. I think this is a good solution to what you were trying to do. The only draw pack is you can only play things in your iTunes library. I hope I helped.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:13 AM   #8
TRAV9614
macrumors regular

If you are just looking to use your Mac mini as a Apple TV and use your ipad to control what you want to play then you can use the ipad remote app in the App Store. With this app you can use your ipad to control what music and video are playing through your Mac mini. I think this is a good solution to what you were trying to do. The only draw pack is you can only play things in your iTunes library. I hope I helped.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:14 AM   #9
TRAV9614
macrumors regular

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini