Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Hey.

I have an iPad and the Mac mini from 2010. I was wondering if it's possible to Airplay a video from iPad to the Mac mini just like someone would do with the Apple tv.

Maybe with a program? I think I've read somewhere that there were Mac apps that allowed airplay streaming.

Or maybe the airplay feature is available on mountain lion? I read it's to stream the Mac screen to an Apple tv, but could it work also the other way around?

I would like to avoid buying an Apple tv since I already use the Mac mini as a media center on my living room.

Thanks.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
There is a program called "Reflections" that will do this. In my testing it had some problems, although most of it was likely due to my antiquated wireless router.

silentbob007

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010
Little Rock, AR
I've used the Reflection app (from the interent and not the App store) and it works pretty well (though it's pay). There's no guarantee how long it will work though considering it's not an "official" app (and essentially backdoors the airplay mechanism).

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
AirServer has work very well for me. Although recently I discovered a conflict between Eyetv and AirServer that would make live tv via Eyetv to do funky things every 90 seconds. Both developers have been in formed and hopefully a patch is on the way. So, for now, I don't keep AirServer running. If I need it, I start it. Other than that, It works awesome.

TRAV9614

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
If you are just looking to use your Mac mini as a Apple TV and use your ipad to control what you want to play then you can use the ipad remote app. With this app you can use your ipad to control what music and video are playing through your Mac mini. I think this is a good solution to what you were trying to do. The only draw pack is you can only play things in your iTunes library. I hope I helped.

TRAV9614

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
If you are just looking to use your Mac mini as a Apple TV and use your ipad to control what you want to play then you can use the ipad remote app in the App Store. With this app you can use your ipad to control what music and video are playing through your Mac mini. I think this is a good solution to what you were trying to do. The only draw pack is you can only play things in your iTunes library. I hope I helped.

TRAV9614

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
If you are just looking to use your Mac mini as a Apple TV and use your ipad to control what you want to play then you can use the ipad remote app in the App Store. With this app you can use your ipad to control what music and video are playing through your Mac mini. I think this is a good solution to what you were trying to do. The only draw pack is you can only play things in your iTunes library. I hope I helped.

TRAV9614

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.