Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:52 PM   #1
trlyka
macrumors 6502

iCloud is full, but info still tied to old phones

I didn't realize that iCloud still has my old devices stored. Now it says I only have 17.8 MB available. I am not going to pay for more iCloud storage at this time.

Is it ok to just delete the old backup from my old iPhones? I see what I think is my old iPhone 4 and the replacement I got in May. Then my iPad and then my iPhone 5. There appears to be nothing in iCloud for my iPhone 5 :roll eyes:

I had a pic here, but I have to figure out how to edit it to remove my name. I have a Macbook if anyone knows what program I can use to edit the pic.......

----------

Sorry....I don't know why this ^ pic is so huge

Last edited by trlyka; Nov 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
trlyka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:46 AM   #2
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

It's perfectly ok to delete the backups.

Remember that:

-Anything contained in them WILL be lost, unless you have another copy of that data
-A backup can only be restored onto the same or higher version of iOS (i.e. a backup of iOS 6 will only work on an iOS 6 or later device)
-The same is true of devices. Backups can only be restored to the same or later model in each product family

If you're confident that your iPhone 5 has everything on it that you want, then deleting the backups should be fine.

You'll presumably want to keep the iPad backup though.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:35 AM   #3
trlyka
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
It's perfectly ok to delete the backups.

Remember that:

-Anything contained in them WILL be lost, unless you have another copy of that data
-A backup can only be restored onto the same or higher version of iOS (i.e. a backup of iOS 6 will only work on an iOS 6 or later device)
-The same is true of devices. Backups can only be restored to the same or later model in each product family

If you're confident that your iPhone 5 has everything on it that you want, then deleting the backups should be fine.

You'll presumably want to keep the iPad backup though.
Thanks for the info...

When I go onto iCloud on my phone, it says 'This iPhone 0 KB'. Then there are 3 more devices. I think it's my old 4 (2.2 MB), the previous 5 (2.4 MB) before it was replaced, and my iPad (406.4 KB).

I guess at this point, it doesn't matter if my 5 has everything or not. I mean I never updated my 4 to iOS 6 and I sold it. Yes, I will keep my iPad backup. I don't use it much, but there isn't much on the backup for that.

I assume once I make room by removing the backups from my other 2 phones, the iCloud backup will work on my current 5?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlyka View Post
I assume once I make room by removing the backups from my other 2 phones, the iCloud backup will work on my current 5?
It should do.

I would turn iCloud backup off for your iPhone 5, delete ALL backups (except the iPad backup) and then turn it back on.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone