Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:58 AM   #1
FatGuy007
macrumors 6502

iPad Mini Wifi Black/Slate owners. Scuffs?

I am waiting for my LTE version, and wondering if it's the same way. Would owners kindly closely look at the back to see any scuffs or scratches?

Have you been using a case?
How long have you had it?
If you got a scuff, how long did you have it for?
FatGuy007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:05 AM   #2
litfuel
macrumors member

mine is fine, and hasn't gotten any scuffs so far
litfuel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:30 AM   #3
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by litfuel View Post
Ditto. Handle your mini with some kind of care and it'll stay looking good.
joshwithachance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:31 AM   #4
FatGuy007
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
Ditto. Handle your mini with some kind of care and it'll stay looking good.
I got a smart cover but no back some i'm just wondering.
FatGuy007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Pristine right out of the box. No case, have had it so since release. I do have Smart Cover, but I only use it if I take the mini out of the house.
Buckeyestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:34 AM   #6
nidserz
macrumors 6502a

Mine was flawless when it arrived, however the bezel is starting to show scuffs and it hasn't left my house. Have a smart cover. Back isn't a problem yet. I think same was with the iPhone 5, the edges/bezel is the problem with scuffing.
twitter |youtube
nidserz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:35 AM   #7
mdehoogh
macrumors member

No scratches on mine yet. Only a smart cover right now but I did order one of those $1 skinomi skins and a sleeve for when I take it out
mdehoogh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:43 AM   #8
comatose81
macrumors 6502a

Had two microscopic scuffs on my white iPad mini when I took it out of the box in the store. Had them box it back up and give me a different one. There was another scuff where the metal meets the front glass. Exchanged it again and asked for a black one. There were tiny silver marks on the very edges of the metal. Told the Apple Store employee helping me to please get another black one, but again it had a few pin-sized marks, this time near the lightning port.

Finally asked to try white again. Had another pin-sized scratch on the edge but I accepted it after I was offered a $10 iTunes card.
comatose81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:18 AM   #9
LizKat
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by litfuel View Post
Same here. I really, really like the look of the black one w/ red smart cover and no other protection. Perhaps it will not stay in pristine condition on the back for very long. I don't make special efforts to protect my gear against signs of ordinary wear. I'll sleeve this thing when carrying it in a handbag but just to protect the ports.
LizKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:31 AM   #10
davidjearly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by comatose81 View Post
Had two microscopic scuffs on my white iPad mini when I took it out of the box in the store. Had them box it back up and give me a different one. There was another scuff where the metal meets the front glass. Exchanged it again and asked for a black one. There were tiny silver marks on the very edges of the metal. Told the Apple Store employee helping me to please get another black one, but again it had a few pin-sized marks, this time near the lightning port.

Finally asked to try white again. Had another pin-sized scratch on the edge but I accepted it after I was offered a $10 iTunes card.
I think you need something important to worry about.
davidjearly is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:34 AM   #11
blerns3
macrumors 6502

No scuffs here. I've been keeping in the box while not in use because I'm still waiting on my case to ship. Can never be too careful.
blerns3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:51 AM   #12
Nuttydev
macrumors 6502

I have a tiny paint chip on the back from when I used the smart cover to prop my iPad up so I could watch something, then pressed down on the volume button too hard and it fell off the smart cover. Barely noticable though and other than that its prestine.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:00 AM   #13
mac jones
macrumors 68040

For what it's worth. I have a case I bought from amazon. I initially liked the idea of going caseless as the Mini is rather svelte. However, after using it in the case, the overall experience is the same as with the larger iPad. In other words: get a really light case, it will protect the Mini and also improve the grip considerably.

Feels better with a case also.
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:57 PM   #14
bcaslis
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttydev View Post
I have a tiny paint chip on the back from when I used the smart cover to prop my iPad up so I could watch something, then pressed down on the volume button too hard and it fell off the smart cover. Barely noticable though and other than that its prestine.
I had the same thing happen (popped it off the smart cover). It slide across my desk, over the edge and then into my hands. Checked it throughly and no scratches, nicks, or marks at all. So I'd say it's prone to scuffing at all, but obviously can if try hard enough.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:36 PM   #15
Mars478
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Mars478 Send a message via MSN to Mars478 Send a message via Skype™ to Mars478
Got a silver knick in the top right corner of my iPad mini, and I got a case after that. Was using a Smart Cover previously. It made me sad because I was treating it well. Oh well.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:51 PM   #16
noteple
macrumors 6502a

One thing to watch out for, Rings.

Rings beat the day lights out of the the edge of the bezel on the iPad and ladies the iPhone 5

Watching one with a ring on the thumb and one on nearly every knuckle all I heard during the demo was clicks and scrapes of metal on metal.
noteple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:52 PM   #17
maflynn

Scuff free, but I'm taking extra care of it, until my back protector comes in
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:10 PM   #18
michaelsaxon
macrumors 6502

Quote:

1st world problems.
michaelsaxon is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:14 PM   #19
t0mm
macrumors regular

No problems with mine, fine.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:47 PM   #20
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
Nope, mines fine :-)
kirky29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:51 PM   #21
kappaknight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
had two microscopic scuffs on my white ipad mini when i took it out of the box in the store. Had them box it back up and give me a different one. There was another scuff where the metal meets the front glass. Exchanged it again and asked for a black one. There were tiny silver marks on the very edges of the metal. Told the apple store employee helping me to please get another black one, but again it had a few pin-sized marks, this time near the lightning port.

Finally asked to try white again. Had another pin-sized scratch on the edge but i accepted it after i was offered a $10 itunes card.
Pretty sure this can fit in textbooks as a case for OCD.

Mine's perfectly fine BTW.
kappaknight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:52 PM   #22
Diana Prince
macrumors member

16gb Slate w/ no scratches out of the box. My iPhone 5 was the same way; pristine.
Diana Prince is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:53 PM   #23
glen e
macrumors 68030

4 days - mines perfect - more forum hypochondria......
glen e is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:56 PM   #24
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

No scuffs, put it in a cheap TPU cover from day one. The front has no protection except on the edges where the TPU cover flaps over.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:32 PM   #25
HenryBishop
macrumors member

Have a 32GB mini and it is still in pristine condition. No protection at all and I may keep it that way, but thinking of getting that beautiful red Smart Cover.
HenryBishop is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad