Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
I bough a mini on sunday at best buy to play around with it. I have an ipad3 and a nexus 7, and my wife also has an ipad3. The mini is ok -- she likes it a lot -- but i think its a bit too slow with its outdated 512k ram. The screen's ok, the lack of retina doesnt bother me. I just feel that six months from now it'll be updated with a faster processor, more ram, and retina for the same price and i dont want yo be screwed again by apple like the ipad 4 update. Plus i really think the nexus serves my purpose for now and will most likely get the mini 2.

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
I just feel that six months from now it'll be updated with a faster processor, more ram, and retina for the same price and i dont want yo be screwed again by apple like the ipad 4 update.

Okay, so keep the Mini you bought now and in six months, sell it and get the new "better" one. I have no idea why everyone says "oh the next one is going to be better"...OF COURSE IT IS. That's technology. Those who wait around for the next best thing will continue to wait, and wait, and wait...never fully committing to anything because there is ALWAYS something coming that is better.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
For the first couple days I was disappointed with my mini as well. I even brought it with me to my local Apple store and compared it alongside the 4. For awhile I was pretty torn on which to keep, but ultimately I decided to keep my mini. I do love the form factor but the screen is worse than the full sized iPad. There's no denying that. However, giving it some more time I have grown accustomed to it, and I mostly use the mini for ebooks, web browsing, and forums. I think it all just comes down to personal preference. Also, I'm sure within a year the 2nd Gen Mini will come out with retina and ill just sell this one and upgrade.

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
I returned the 32gb mini I bought. I couldn't justify the cost for it. I should've just went with the cheaper 16gb, but still not sure I'd use it that much. I still like my iPad 2 with Verizon 3G just fine, plus I use my iPhone 5 a lot for things even though its small.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
"I have an iPad 3 and a Nexus 7. And my wife also has an iPad 3." Completely makes sense to purchase an iPad mini then......

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
I love how alot of people say that they were "screwed over by Apple" for releasing the iPad 4 so soon. Apple is not forcing anyone to upgrade anything. They simply put out new products for you to CHOOSE to buy. Why isnt there sort of backlash for car companies releasing new models every year? Or the amout of Android phones that come out every other day with newer specs? Do desktop PC users feel screwed over every few months for Intel releasing faster processors? Apple is not forcing you to buy anything new. IMO and usage, the iPad 3 is still fine and works flawlessly and there really isnt a reason to upgrade unless your usage is graphic intensive. If you upgrade for the faster processor and lightning cable its because YOU wanted to, not because Apple is screwing up over and forcing you to buy it. No one said you needed to have the latest and greatest except for YOU.

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
"I have an iPad 3 and a Nexus 7. And my wife also has an iPad 3." Completely makes sense to purchase an iPad mini then......

I assume you're being sarcastic, but I'll answer this anyway because I'm in nearly the same situation.

My wife has an iPad 2, I've got (or had) an iPad 3 LTE and a Nexus 7. I can sell all three devices and have enough money to purchase two iPad minis (one with LTE). Now, the reasoning is sound. The wife wants a smaller/lighter tablet because she reads on hers about 75% of the time so the size advantage is paramount.

My own reasons are a little more complicated. Yes, I'd like to have both devices (iPad 3 and Nexus 7), but I get so sick of carrying two devices. I ultimately only used the Nexus 7 for listening to podcasts at night in my office and for reading e-books. It wasn't good enough for web browsing when compared to the iPad and there are a ton more games on the iPad as well. So I needed both devices. The Mini w/ LTE is a good compromise...I can play all my games, I can browse the web ALMOST as good as a regular iPad and significantly better than the 7, and I can read comfortably (even better than the 7 from a size/weight standpoint). So it makes sense for me to downsize my collection of devices and get a Mini. It's the perfect middle ground as far as I'm concerned.

So to conclude, for some people, Minis are the answer.

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Rory,Rory, tell me a story. Too slow and reffering to technical specs, so bored with these inane posts. The ipad 2 rocks, indeed the original ipad still holds its own so people get a life (preferably on a different forum) and stop complaining all the time.

larock

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
I just returned mine too, because I found I really liked the size and decided I couldn't live without cellular connection. So the WiFi is on the way back to Apple and Cellular is now ordered.

I enjoyed my weekend with it, I had some issues connecting to coffee shop WiFi. Now when I pick up my iPad 3 I notice the weight. Still I like my iPad 3 for use around the house.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I bough a mini on sunday at best buy to play around with it. I have an ipad3 and a nexus 7, and my wife also has an ipad3. The mini is ok -- she likes it a lot -- but i think its a bit too slow with its outdated 512k ram. The screen's ok, the lack of retina doesnt bother me. I just feel that six months from now it'll be updated with a faster processor, more ram, and retina for the same price and i dont want yo be screwed again by apple like the ipad 4 update. Plus i really think the nexus serves my purpose for now and will most likely get the mini 2.

There won't be a gen 2 mini in 6 months, but there will be one in 1 year. They won't release any iPad product in 6 months, the latest launch set the new refresh cycle to be Autumn ("pre-holidays"). This mini is here to stay for a year.

I love my new mini, it's not perfect, but then technology rarely is. I can't wait till the gen 2 comes out (what will it be like?!) - I'll sell my gen 1 and upgrade (and not lose much money, given Apple's excellent resale value). In the meantime, however, I'm going to spend the next year having the best time with my mini. I love the form factor, the screen doesn't bother me and actually impressed the hell out of me (specifically related to PDF viewing), and the games are even better on this smaller screen than the full sized iPad (but that's my preference, I wanted the smaller form factor). Love this new device!

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

Too slow?

What apps you running?

iPad Mini has a lot more than 512k RAM. ;)

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
There won't be a gen 2 mini in 6 months, but there will be one in 1 year. They won't release any iPad product in 6 months, the latest launch set the new refresh cycle to be Autumn ("pre-holidays"). This mini is here to stay for a year.

I would say that will ultimately depend on sales through the end of the year.

If sales of the mini fall short of expectations, then I would expect Apple to release a mini 2 in early spring.

cperry2

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011

512k ram? Damn that's efficient.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

U are lucky. From where i live, you can't return it unless it is defect from production they get you new one. If you just disatisfied with the product, you can not return. Thats why so many are not sure to order online.

One guy bought an ipod touch at $299 and dislike the actual feel and touch of it. Can not return, so sad.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Why do people think there will be a new mini in 6 months? The iPad 3 only got updated so it ties in with their fall release schedule.

Just enjoy your products and stop worry about future tech.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
The screen's ok, the lack of retina doesnt bother me. I just feel that six months from now it'll be updated with a faster processor, more ram, and retina for the same price and i dont want yo be screwed again by apple like the ipad 4 update.

Then go and buy the iPad Mini 2nd Gen six months from now. And then six months after that, Apple will then release a better iPad Mini 3rd Gen and you will feel screwed anyways.

And then, six months after that....

And then.....

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Then go and buy the iPad Mini 2nd Gen six months from now. And then six months after that, Apple will then release a better iPad Mini 3rd Gen and you will feel screwed anyways.

And then.....

Eh, I think it'll go back to being more or less yearly updates. The iP4 was an aberration.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why do u even care how much ram it's got? Are there apps u can't run or something?

From what I've read it slows down the performance of some apps like safari. Have a number of tabs open and you start seeing it slow down and get that checkerboard issue

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I don't think we see a mini till next october time now and we will see the new iPad in march april time i should of thought.The only reason they brought out iPad four to get a head of the competition that all nothing else.For these companies its like a F! race trying to get across the line the fastest and getting there product out and been the best to make money

Money Talks Simple!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.