I wish texts would re-set to the list - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:48 PM   #1
brudog68
macrumors 6502

I wish texts would re-set to the list

This may be a tired old complaint...but I sure wish when you finished texting and close the app, that the next time you open it you saw the list instead of the last conversation being open(instead of having to back out each time)...sure would help prevent accidentally texting your boss what youre saying to your wife etc...lol

My old Blackberry did this and have missed this
brudog68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:49 PM   #2
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudog68 View Post
This may be a tired old complaint...but I sure wish when you finished texting and close the app, that the next time you open it you saw the list instead of the last conversation being open(instead of having to back out each time)...sure would help prevent accidentally texting your boss what youre saying to your wife etc...lol

My old Blackberry did this and have missed this
Lol you just press the back button or look at who you're texting...
tymaster50 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:51 PM   #3
brudog68
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Lol you just press the back button or look at who you're texting...
I know I know, lol...but
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:57 PM   #4
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudog68 View Post
I know I know, lol...but
it takes like 1 second, maybe not even that
tymaster50 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:21 PM   #5
brudog68
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
it takes like 1 second, maybe not even that
Oh I know...its not really the inconvenience or time...but I have made the mistake a few times and a customer of mine did it to me today...

ie. customer was texting me today, then sent a message to his wife which i received (he actually called me pretty lady, lol)...he had obviously been texting her prior, then when he opened his message app, just assumed he was still talking to her and forgot he had messaged me in the interim...had it returned to the list after closing, you have no choice but to pick who its intended for...no need to keep the individual conversation open and back out of it, the steps would be the same, just less room for error...just a petty gripe,lol
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:15 PM   #6
NewToMac11
macrumors member

to go alone with text message discussions, anyway to set it to time stamp each message? maybe i just dont see it in the settings. but its my first iphone and kinda annoying that it does not time stamp each one..unless there is a setting i'm missing?
NewToMac11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:18 PM   #7
pure3d2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToMac11 View Post
to go alone with text message discussions, anyway to set it to time stamp each message? maybe i just dont see it in the settings. but its my first iphone and kinda annoying that it does not time stamp each one..unless there is a setting i'm missing?
iOS decides to timestamp at random. The only way to get every message timestamped is to jailbreak and install this feature.
pure3d2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

I've done it a few times. Accidentally texting the wrong person. It's bad too when you text a girl something that was meant for someone else.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:30 PM   #9
sviato
macrumors 68000

That's weird because my Messages app does the opposite (although I want it to do what yours does). If close the app after reading/writing a text and then reopen the app, it automatically goes back to the list of all texts
sviato is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:37 PM   #10
NiftyMac
macrumors newbie

One of the features I loved and miss while jailbroken on the iPhone 4. (BiteSms)
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:39 PM   #11
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToMac11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure3d2 View Post
iOS decides to timestamp at random. The only way to get every message timestamped is to jailbreak and install this feature.
It isn't random. iOS timestamps the message closest to the "quarters", so at 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes, and on the hour. It doesn't stamp anything after that until it is the next quarter.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:49 PM   #12
SunnyStudioNeo
macrumors regular

Agree w you. It would be a good item in message app settings
SunnyStudioNeo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:59 PM   #13
mikejg
macrumors newbie

I've done this several times before. Texting the ex-wife "I love you", when I meant to text my wife is a bit awkward.
mikejg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:53 PM   #14
RotaryP7
macrumors 6502a

This doesn't help when driving.

Remember, do not drive & text kids.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:12 AM   #15
GeorgieAcevedo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
That's weird because my Messages app does the opposite (although I want it to do what yours does). If close the app after reading/writing a text and then reopen the app, it automatically goes back to the list of all texts
That's because you have more than 1 unread message. What the OP explained only happens if you have that ONE unread text.
GeorgieAcevedo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:39 PM   #16
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 View Post
It isn't random. iOS timestamps the message closest to the "quarters", so at 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes, and on the hour. It doesn't stamp anything after that until it is the next quarter.
Its not on the quarters. I'm looking at a text labeled at 6:38....

I think it waits for 10-15 minutes of inactivity the will time stamp it again...
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:21 PM   #17
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

I hadn't noticed this until you mentioned it, but I've accidentally texted the wrong person as well. I guess I have to train myself to back out of the conversation before hitting the home button. On the other hand, it would be a pain to have to re-open the conversation every time a new message comes in.

Another thing I do without thinking (and it's not good) ... I forget to check if a text is sent to multiple people. THAT can be majorly *awkward*
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:12 PM   #18
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Its not on the quarters. I'm looking at a text labeled at 6:38....

I think it waits for 10-15 minutes of inactivity the will time stamp it again...
That's what I mean though, it stamps the closest to the quarters, and then waits at least 15 minutes before looking to stamp another message.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:15 PM   #19
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 View Post
That's what I mean though, it stamps the closest to the quarters, and then waits at least 15 minutes before looking to stamp another message.
Oh gotcha. Thought you meant it would actually round the time to the nearest quarter...lol
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:26 PM   #20
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Oh gotcha. Thought you meant it would actually round the time to the nearest quarter...lol
Oh no lol. Now THAT would be annoying.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:03 PM   #21
sviato
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgieAcevedo View Post
That's because you have more than 1 unread message. What the OP explained only happens if you have that ONE unread text.
Ah, this is true. I have like 90 unread

OP, have someone random text you and never read it and just let it sit at the bottom of your messages then
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:19 PM   #22
bluedukies8
macrumors regular

I wish when you are scrolling through previous texts sent from someone....and then they text you again.....that it didn't jump you all the way down to that message. Pain in the butt to have to scroll back up to read to only have them do it again.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:33 PM   #23
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:

OP, have someone random text you and never read it and just let it sit at the bottom of your messages then
You need 2 unread texts from separate people because if its just 1 unread, it'll automatically open to that convo
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:41 PM   #24
- rob -
macrumors member

Sounds like an interesting problem. What would be a reasonable amount of time before you'd expect the app to jump out of the convo and back to the list? 5 minutes? an hour?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:45 PM   #25
BrokeTechLover
macrumors regular

Quote:

But one day he'll open Messages by accident and the message will open and bam:: back to where he started

I also hate this feature,,have texted way too many ppl the wrong thing. It gets frustrating :/
BrokeTechLover is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone