Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tablatom

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
After reading the "HDMI looks terrible" thread and having same experience i looked further on the web and it seems to be a universal problem.
I rang applecare today to ask them to report this.
The applecare guy said that he'd pass on the complaint but had an idea to try to get the best out of the HDMI situation.
Which was,
System preferences/Displays/Colour/Calibrate.
I did this and created a new profile for the external monitor.
With trial and error and with messing around with the monitors options i finally got a result that i am happy with.
I tested this result against a 2012 MBP looking at Logic pro 9 and i have to say that i think the HDMI monitor looks now just as good as the MBP.
One of the complaints with the HDMI visuals is on the Gmail login page

https://accounts.google.com/Service...m/mail/&ss=1&scc=1&ltmpl=default&ltmplcache=2

that HDMI doesn't show the grey box around the username and password boxes.

Well now i have it.
All the horrible whites have now calmed down.

Do try it, its work for me:)

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I had one setup on a HDMI driven 46" screen that looked bad at 1920 x 1080p. Switching to interlace (1080i) seemed to fix the problem for some reason.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
My latest-gen 55" Vizio was perfect at its default settings. My 2-year-old LG required some manual adjustmet but looks great.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Make sure your monitor is in PC or Computer mode and/or that overscan is disabled. That's the cause of the so-called widespread problems. The monitor is being detected as a TV when connected via HDMI.

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
@Above,

there are enough people where all your solutions didn't work.
Stupid enough that it don't work out of the box.

I had one setup on a HDMI driven 46" screen that looked bad at 1920 x 1080p. Switching to interlace (1080i) seemed to fix the problem for some reason.

10080i is inferior in comparison to 1080p. Did you have the "no light shades" problem or did you have the pc or computer mode wrong?

Make sure your monitor is in PC or Computer mode and/or that overscan is disabled. That's the cause of the so-called widespread problems. The monitor is being detected as a TV when connected via HDMI.

I am currently not on a Mac, but i have never seen a option to select PC or Computer mode. Where is it located?

Last edited:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
@Above,
10080i is inferior in comparison to 1080p. Did you have the "no light shades" problem or did you have the pc or computer mode wrong?

Yeah ... I was surprised that interlace looked better, but it did. With progressive scan, the text was pixelated and was difficult to read, where you would expect it to be sharper.

This was with an older Mini that didn't have a direct HDMI port, and didn't have the scan and overscan adjustments that the new ones have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.