Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:02 AM   #1
OSMac
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Wish it was just a touch thinner?

The mini is a great addition for Apple, lightweight and sharp design.

Can't find a pocket it fits in, comes close on jacket pockets but just a touch too wide.

I just wish it was 0.75" of a inch more narrow.


Maybe I need bigger pockets

Last edited by OSMac; Nov 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
OSMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:08 AM   #2
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Do you mean more narrow and not thinner?

If you're talking about the thinness then, then I'll have to disagree with you since its extremely thin now.

As for the width, I suppose they could have shaved off a bit, but I've not noticed any problems with putting this in my coat pocket.
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:08 AM   #3
phpmaven
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Clemente, CA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSMac View Post
The mini is a great addition for Apple, lightweight and sharp design.

Can't find a pocket it fits in, comes close on jacket pockets but just a touch too wide.

I just wish it was 0.75" of a inch thinner.


Maybe I need bigger pockets
You mean narrower.
phpmaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:12 AM   #4
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
Ah, but of course...
The iPhone 5 is too narrow
The iPad Mini is too wide

It was bound to happen
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:24 AM   #5
urkel
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
Ah, but of course...
The iPhone 5 is too narrow
The iPad Mini is too wide

It was bound to happen
Oh please. The OP didn't make a complaint, hes clearly not upset and he makes a solid point. Similarly sized products like the kindle or nexus7 fit in back pockets while the iPad Mini is just a tad too wide. Nothing wrong with admitting that or having a non snarky discussion about it.
urkel is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
Oh please. The OP didn't make a complaint, hes clearly not upset and he makes a solid point. Similarly sized products like the kindle or nexus7 fit in back pockets while the iPad Mini is just a tad too wide. Nothing wrong with admitting that or having a non snarky discussion about it.
Well it is a complaint. OP wants a 16:9 screen vs a 4:3. But the iPad has never been 16:9 so it's kind of a silly thing to foot stomp over. If one wants a 16:9 screen go Kindle Fire or Nexus 7. Problem solved.

The only other solution would be for the mini to have a smaller screen.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:26 AM   #7
OSMac
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Well it is a complaint. OP wants a 16:9 screen vs a 4:3. But the iPad has never been 16:9 so it's kind of a silly thing to foot stomp over. If one wants a 16:9 screen go Kindle Fire or Nexus 7. Problem solved.

The only other solution would be for the mini to have a smaller screen.
No the OP does not want 16:9, although that would be fine.

Even a 4:3 design that is just a touch more narrow I'd prefer.
It's a great design but the width just pushes over pocketable and it's so close...
OSMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:50 AM   #8
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Well it is a complaint. OP wants a 16:9 screen vs a 4:3. But the iPad has never been 16:9 so it's kind of a silly thing to foot stomp over. If one wants a 16:9 screen go Kindle Fire or Nexus 7. Problem solved.

The only other solution would be for the mini to have a smaller screen.
the iphone was never a 16:9. then *gasps* looks at my iphone 5.
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:53 AM   #9
MacAgnostic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSMac View Post
...Can't find a pocket it fits in, comes close on jacket pockets but just a touch too wide.

I just wish it was 0.75" of a inch more narrow.


Maybe I need bigger pockets
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSMac View Post
I just find the fonts and UI on the small side with the mini,
so I'd go 5 unless Apple updates the UI
to work better on the mini with my eyes
So you don't really want one anyhow.

Last edited by MacAgnostic; Nov 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
MacAgnostic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
the iphone was never a 16:9. then *gasps* looks at my iphone 5.
Anything is possible certainly, but I think Apple has shown a 4:3 screen is better for reading books & mags, things people don't typically buy a phone for even if they have that functionality. Also seems to me if Apple was going to go 16:9 then they would have done it with the mini right out of the gate, ESP since the iPhone & touch are now 16:9.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:08 AM   #11
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Anything is possible certainly, but I think Apple has shown a 4:3 screen is better for reading books & mags, things people don't typically buy a phone for even if they have that functionality. Also seems to me if Apple was going to go 16:9 then they would have done it with the mini right out of the gate, ESP since the iPhone & touch are now 16:9.
i agree, the ipad is better in 4:3..just saying like you said all is possible.. i thought the same about my iphone and lo an behold.
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:05 PM   #12
big samm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I don't mind about the thickness, but the weight should be reduce at least 20%
__________________
iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 plus, iPad 1 ,iPad 3, iPad Mini 2 Lte, Macbook air 13" 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8Gb ram mid 2013 15"MacBook Pro 2009 model
big samm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple's Media Event Predicted to See Retina iPad Mini and Thinner iPad, but No Touch ID or Gold Option MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 274 Oct 21, 2013 06:25 PM
Will the new iMac be thinner? Sam Spade iMac 1 Jun 10, 2013 11:49 AM
Does it look any thinner? Yr Blues iPad 7 Oct 21, 2012 01:37 AM
iPhone now thinner than 1st gen iPod Touch Mjmar iPhone 1 Sep 16, 2012 01:03 AM
Why this fixation on thinner? Grolubao iPhone 1 Sep 12, 2012 03:02 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC