Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1
MGCP
macrumors member

iPhone 5: viewing photos in landscape

Perhaps I've missed something obvious, but if I'm looking at one of my photos and turn the phone to landscape it cuts off the top and bottom. I can pinch to zoom out but that doesn't work with a sideshow (which ends up looking as if the photos are all badly framed). Is there a setting to make sure that the whole photo is visible as a default setting? Thanks.
MGCP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:32 AM   #2
MGCP
macrumors member

From the resounding silence I guess it isn't possible to fix this. It seems bizarre that Apple wouldn't realise that for some people being able to see the whole photo is much more important than having it fill the 16:9 screen, I can't believe there isn't an option for this.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:02 AM   #3
canesalato
macrumors regular

Another crappy ios6 thing I hope is gonna change in iOS7...
canesalato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:17 AM   #4
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Photo's are 4x3

The iPhone screen is 16:9
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:45 AM   #5
MGCP
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
Photo's are 4x3

The iPhone screen is 16:9
Exactly, which is why landscape photos should be reduced in size (at least as an option) so that the full vertical height can be shown, with black bars on the left and right. Except apparently the only way to do this is to pinch to zoom out, so if I want to show someone my carefully framed photos instead of swiping through I have to swipe, pinch, swipe, pinch, swipe, pinch...

That quickly gets really annoying, and can't even be done if you use sideshow!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:24 AM   #6
davehutch
macrumors 6502

Works fine for me.
Landscape and portrait photos all show correctly, right up to the edge when viewed in landscape or portrait orientation.
davehutch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:46 AM   #7
MGCP
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehutch View Post
Works fine for me.
Landscape and portrait photos all show correctly, right up to the edge when viewed in landscape or portrait orientation.
Have been playing around a bit more. It seems to be happy enough viewing photos which were taken on an ios device (ie all the photos that have been imported from my 4s display fine).

The problem is with photos taken with my DSLR (which I process and then reduce to make smaller copies to store/display on my phone).

It seems to be completely inconsistent as to whether it recognises the vertical dimensions of the photos or not. So, in an album of photos that have all been processed identically and uploaded together, I can scroll through 10 images where the top and bottoms have been cropped off to make the photo fill the screen, and then suddenly there will be one that displays correctly (with bars at the sides). Then it goes back to cropping them again.

Very odd behaviour, I wonder what is happening and if there is anything I can do to correct it.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:31 AM   #8
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGCP View Post
Have been playing around a bit more. It seems to be happy enough viewing photos which were taken on an ios device (ie all the photos that have been imported from my 4s display fine).

The problem is with photos taken with my DSLR (which I process and then reduce to make smaller copies to store/display on my phone).

It seems to be completely inconsistent as to whether it recognises the vertical dimensions of the photos or not. So, in an album of photos that have all been processed identically and uploaded together, I can scroll through 10 images where the top and bottoms have been cropped off to make the photo fill the screen, and then suddenly there will be one that displays correctly (with bars at the sides). Then it goes back to cropping them again.

Very odd behaviour, I wonder what is happening and if there is anything I can do to correct it.
File a bug report via Apple's website.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone