Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:33 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

VirnetX Files Follow-Up Patent Lawsuit Targeting Apple's Latest Products

Fresh off of a $368 million patent lawsuit victory over Apple regarding virtual private networking (VPN) connectivity used in Apple's FaceTime video calling feature, VirnetX has filed a new lawsuit targeting all of Apple's latest iOS devices and Macs, which were not included in the original lawsuit. The new lawsuit was unearthed by Patently Apple earlier this week, but VirnetX did not announce it until today.
Quote:
The complaint includes allegations of willful patent infringement regarding four patents owned by VirnetX, U.S. Patent Nos. 6,502,135, 7,418,504, 7,921,211 and 7,490,151. In its complaint, VirnetX seeks both damages and injunctive relief. The accused products include the iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th Generation, iPad 4th Generation, iPad mini, and the latest Macintosh computers. Due to their release dates, these products were not included in the previous lawsuit that concluded with a Jury verdict on November 6, 2012.
Apple is expected to appeal the ruling in the original case, and will of course fight the inclusion of its new products in a similar judgment.

Article Link: VirnetX Files Follow-Up Patent Lawsuit Targeting Apple's Latest Products
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:40 AM   #2
ollyb
macrumors member

*yawn*
ollyb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:45 AM   #3
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Question Gads

Another patent troll lawsuit?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
Another patent troll lawsuit?
From what I've read, VirnetX is not a patent troll but they do seem to have patents that should not have been granted in the first place.

Software patents are a real mess, to say the least.
Yvan256 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Stella
macrumors 603

VirnetX need to protect their IP, just like Apple would and does.

Regardless of Apple, winning or losing, software patents suckass.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:01 AM   #6
WiiDSmoker
macrumors 65816

Good for them. They invented the technology and won a patent for it. And shoul be able to protect it.

Oh that's right. It's against Apple so it's bad now right?
WiiDSmoker is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:22 AM   #7
thedeejay
macrumors 6502a

Looks like that 1B from Samsung came in handy LOL
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:52 AM   #8
johncrab
macrumors 6502

The group of SAIC employees that formed this "company" is just looking for a big payout by baiting Apple to buy them out in order to own this technology. It may work and it is a pretty bold move, too.

SAIC has been shedding employees and entire departments this year as money from the No Such Agency's wild spending spree for eavesdropping tech has been dialed back. I am sure these are some of those caught in that downsizing and why not look to capitalize in a big way on this?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker View Post
Good for them. They invented the technology and won a patent for it. And shoul be able to protect it.

Just a fine point. Patents are not "won" as in a competition. They are granted based on the uniqueness of a product or procedure.
johncrab is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:25 AM   #9
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeejay View Post
How so? Apple hasn't gotten a dime of it yet. And they might not ever get a dime. Too early to tell.

That being said - Apple should be "ok."

And for those criticizing VirnetX for going after Apple (again) - it's no different than Apple going after other companies (i.e. Samsung) with additional lawsuits of new(er) devices
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Wild-Bill
macrumors 68020

By "following up" their lawsuit and adding EVERY new Apple product that has come out since filing, they are definitely trolling.
According to the lawsuit, FaceTime is the "offending" technology, not the hardware. One judgement on the software is sufficient. By going after all of Apple's new products, they are most certainly trolling.

This is nothing more than a couple of out-of-work SAIC employees hoping to never have to work again.
Wild-Bill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:29 AM   #11
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post
By "following up" their lawsuit and adding EVERY new Apple product that has come out since filing, they are definitely trolling.
According to the lawsuit, FaceTime is the "offending" technology, not the hardware. One judgement on the software is sufficient. By going after all of Apple's new products, they are most certainly trolling.

This is nothing more than a couple of out-of-work SAIC employees hoping to never have to work again.
So I assume you believe that Apple shouldn't pursue anything with Samsung based on their implementation of Android then since they've already sued once. Is that right?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:31 AM   #12
thedeejay
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
How so? Apple hasn't gotten a dime of it yet. And they might not ever get a dime. Too early to tell.

That being said - Apple should be "ok."

And for those criticizing VirnetX for going after Apple (again) - it's no different than Apple going after other companies (i.e. Samsung) with additional lawsuits of new(er) devices
Ah, was Samsung not required to pay 1B to Apple? Or is that still on-going? I thought the verdict had been reached.
thedeejay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:38 AM   #13
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Ah, was Samsung not required to pay 1B to Apple? Or is that still on-going? I thought the verdict had been reached.
It's going through appeals. Not sure what you're asking though. My point was that if Apple can keep going after Samsung's newest models for the same thing and they aren't patent trolls (being called that) then VirnetX shouldn't be called a patent troll.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:17 PM   #14
craznar
macrumors regular

Shakespeare said it best:

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

This whole legal system is costing humanity progress and money off the deep end.

Reserve patents for inventions - not discoveries, shapes, colours or algorithms.
craznar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:43 PM   #15
trunten
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiiDSmoker View Post

According to 9to5mac they are a patent holding company. does somebody know whether is any truth in that?
trunten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Wild-Bill
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
So I assume you believe that Apple shouldn't pursue anything with Samsung based on their implementation of Android then since they've already sued once. Is that right?
I believe one lawsuit is sufficient for the software.

Samsung's hardware is another matter. They blatantly copied the iPhone.
Wild-Bill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:17 PM   #17
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncrab View Post
The group of SAIC employees that formed this "company" is just looking for a big payout by baiting Apple to buy them out in order to own this technology. It may work and it is a pretty bold move, too.

SAIC has been shedding employees and entire departments this year as money from the No Such Agency's wild spending spree for eavesdropping tech has been dialed back. I am sure these are some of those caught in that downsizing and why not look to capitalize in a big way on this?

----------

Just a fine point. Patents are not "won" as in a competition. They are granted based on the uniqueness of a product or procedure.
I never upvote, but I upvoted you. And I find it sad that nobody else did, but upvoted totally thoughtless posts

This nailed it and was well written and insightful about SAIC's situation as well
iRCL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:23 PM   #18
benspratling
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by craznar View Post
Reserve patents for inventions - not discoveries, shapes, colours or algorithms.
LOL! because what? nobody ever did any work to design algorithms? It doesn't take years of research? design? analysis? optimization? People don't build their entire careers on it?
benspratling is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:46 PM   #19
craznar
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by benspratling View Post
LOL! because what? nobody ever did any work to design algorithms? It doesn't take years of research? design? analysis? optimization? People don't build their entire careers on it?
No - because algorithms are not novel, 40 people could simultaneously solve the same problem the same way and giving 1 of them permission to sue the other 39 is just plain stupid.

It also means that it is impossible for anyone to actually write software without being a multi-millionaire.

I mean - how on earth can I possibly determine if my app is legal or not, if people might have patented some obvious way of doing something ?
craznar is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:13 PM   #20
raweden
macrumors newbie

Quote:
No - because algorithms are not novel, 40 people could simultaneously solve the same problem the same way and giving 1 of them permission to sue the other 39 is just plain stupid.

It also means that it is impossible for anyone to actually write software without being a multi-millionaire.

I mean - how on earth can I possibly determine if my app is legal or not, if people might have patented some obvious way of doing something ?
True story! You would need to employ a whole staff to determine the risk of patent infringement, or you could hope that your app never reaches any mainstream usage so the patent holders won't notice that you have infringement their patent.
raweden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:18 PM   #21
kd5jos
macrumors regular

Obligatory pointing out...

Quote:

This whole legal system is costing humanity progress and money off the deep end.

Yeah, that was said by some characters that wanted to overthrow a government. They knew that Lawyers understood the legal system, and by offing them first, no one would know if what was being done by the characters was legal.

So you're saying get rid of the whole legal system so we have nothing to use? I guess we could just duel.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:38 PM   #22
clibinarius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post

Yeah, it is trolling. Sort of like how one company keeps going after all of Samsung's products, even after a suit done. Which company would do that? Hmm, I dunno.
clibinarius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:11 AM   #23
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Not so fast; They haven't received any money yet, and probably won't for quite a while yet, if ever, because it's under appeal. Secondly, that whole judgement against SAMSUNG may be set aside, as there are now questions about the jury foreman's disclosures or rather lack thereof, during the jury selection process. http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/09/...v-apple-trial/
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:36 AM   #24
JAT
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by clibinarius View Post
Yeah, it is trolling. Sort of like how one company keeps going after all of Samsung's products, even after a suit done. Which company would do that? Hmm, I dunno.
Patent trolling is generally understood to be a company that owns patents and does nothing with them except collect fees or file lawsuits. Apple is actually making iPhones, so they are not "trolling" when they defend related patents. They may still be annoying with the number of lawsuits, so call it something else.

IDK if VirnetX is trolling or defending IP they actually use.
JAT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:47 PM   #25
MacDav
Banned

Quote:

What do you call it when you chain weights on the ankles of 10 lawyers and throw them into the ocean?.....Answer....A good start.
PS... There are some decent hard working Lawyers out there. Sorry, I'm not talking about you.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion