Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1
sillywabbit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
White iPhone 3 Clear Coat Peeling

Anyone with a White iPhone 5 have any peeling of the clear coat on the aluminum portion which is sandwiched between the two glass panels on the rear of the phone ?

Mine is peeling where the aluminum meets the glass panel (top and bottom) on the rear of the phone.

Yes, I have a case (rubbery type).

I got rid of the 2 black iPhone 5's because of the nicks/scuffs out of the box to get a not so nice looking white iPhone 5 only to face the clear coat issue.

EDITED (Pic added/Best I could do):

Top Portion:



Bottom Portion:




************************************************


UPDATE: Operation "Flake Exchange" has been successful!

I got a MINT replacement (no nicks, scuffs, etc), except there was one slight scratch on the back of the phone on the aluminum, however, it does not bother me considering my original one as mentioned above was worse.

This one was made on WEEK 37 (September) with a serial no. starting with DNPJ.

I don't know if it was a refurb or it was just someone else's original phone and re-boxed in a white box because of the scratch.

BTW: Here is a link to see when your phone was built and which factory it was assembled at:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Last edited by sillywabbit; Nov 16, 2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Link and Update Added
sillywabbit is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:19 PM   #2
MassiveAttack
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
There is no clear coat on the aluminum.
__________________
MacBook Pro 2011
iPhone 5 64GB White
MassiveAttack is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:27 PM   #3
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Clear coat? Post a picture so we know what you're talking about as there's no clear coat.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:32 PM   #4
sillywabbit
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
That is what I thought (no clear coat) until I noticed my WHITE iPhone 5 has its clear coat peeling in the rear where the glass meets the metal, however, only along the edge.

I can't post a pic because it is impossible to see it (because the phone is soo white and light and the clear coat is, well, clear) unless you are in person.

I went to the Apple Store and Apple employee acknowledged he saw the clear coat peeling. He was willing to exchange it but had to have approval from a manager.

He came back and said they couldn't do anything about it and will not replace it.

Last edited by sillywabbit; Nov 10, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
sillywabbit is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:27 PM   #5
sillywabbit
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Bump for Picture added.

As an Aside: Can any MOD/ADMIN change the title of my thread. I accidentally put iPhone 3" instead of "iPhone 5". Editing the post myself won't let me do that.
sillywabbit is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
My black one had this as well I noticed it the other day
__________________
MBP 13", 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD in Optical bay|iPad mini| 2TB Time Capsule| iPhone 5s 32GB| AppleTV
Afbar1114 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:12 PM   #7
HowardSmith
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
The aluminum, even on the white one, is still anodized, maybe that is flaking off just like th black model and the aluminum is discoloring. Raw aluminum will corroded
HowardSmith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:54 PM   #8
John T
macrumors 68020
 
John T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
I can't post a pic because it is impossible to see it (because the phone is soo white and light and the clear coat is, well, clear) unless you are in person.

I went to the Apple Store and Apple employee acknowledged he saw the clear coat peeling. He was willing to exchange it but had to have approval from a manager.

He came back and said they couldn't do anything about it and will not replace it.
Quite right too! If you have to look that hard to see it forget it and get on with life!
John T is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
this happend on mine as well on a corner...should i get it replaced?
__________________
MBP 13", 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD in Optical bay|iPad mini| 2TB Time Capsule| iPhone 5s 32GB| AppleTV
Afbar1114 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:11 PM   #10
sillywabbit
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
Quite right too! If you have to look that hard to see it forget it and get on with life!
John, lets be honest, if it happened to you, you would want it replaced as well. Since it did not happen to you, it is easy for you to say "forget it and get on with life!"

A phone valued at $913.54 (after tax and Apple Care Plus), you expect the phone to be in NEW condition and not flake, chip, scuff, etc. sooo soon. I never had a problem with any of the Android phones I had.

It is not hard to see in person, it is just getting it on camera that is hard. It has to be under certain lighting, at an angle, etc.

Thanks.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardSmith View Post
The aluminum, even on the white one, is still anodized, maybe that is flaking off just like th black model and the aluminum is discoloring. Raw aluminum will corroded
Thanks Howard, you are probably right, it may be the "anodized" flaking off. I thought it was clear coat.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afbar1114 View Post
this happend on mine as well on a corner...should i get it replaced?
Let us know if you have any luck. Thanks
sillywabbit is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:16 PM   #11
as0016
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
check out icarbons or gelaskins. throw a cool skin on it and you'll never notice.
as0016 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:55 AM   #12
PeterKG
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2003
That is glue or some other residue that, that can be removed using Goof-Off or Goo-Gone. I had the same thing and it cleaned up and is gone. Goof-Off is stronger and that was what worked.
PeterKG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:00 AM   #13
evorc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Ghost armor matte skin! Done, you will never see, it will give it a nice new finish. Common guys you can't expect apple to replace this. It's one thing if its like that out of the box, but anything else is caused by regular wear and tear. Would you expect the dealership to exchange your car if your clear coat get scratches or swirl marks after driving it for a month?
evorc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:16 PM   #14
danielxute
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I had this and it came off by scratching it with my nail over and over. Thought it would scratch it but looks brand new.
danielxute is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:29 PM   #15
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
John, lets be honest, if it happened to you, you would want it replaced as well. Since it did not happen to you, it is easy for you to say "forget it and get on with life!"

A phone valued at $913.54 (after tax and Apple Care Plus), you expect the phone to be in NEW condition and not flake, chip, scuff, etc. sooo soon. I never had a problem with any of the Android phones I had.

It is not hard to see in person, it is just getting it on camera that is hard. It has to be under certain lighting, at an angle, etc.

Thanks.

----------



Thanks Howard, you are probably right, it may be the "anodized" flaking off. I thought it was clear coat.

----------



Let us know if you have any luck. Thanks
People can talk about value over true cost all they want but realistically if you paid $913.54 that is your own fault. Got mine for about $134 after selling my 64 GB 4s. Why anyone would just straight pay full retail for something that can be made for less then 200 bucks is beyond me.
VandyChem2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:28 PM   #16
sillywabbit
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
People can talk about value over true cost all they want but realistically if you paid $913.54 that is your own fault. Got mine for about $134 after selling my 64 GB 4s. Why anyone would just straight pay full retail for something that can be made for less then 200 bucks is beyond me.
Well, if I factor in all the black iPhone 5's that I bought with scuffs and re-sold them at a profit, then I guess my current WHITE iPhone 5 (with Apple care Plus) was free, but that is besides the point.

Other pay full retail because they want to keep their unlimited data plan or they are not up for renewal of their contract.

The iPhone, regardless of who manufactured it should be in NEW condition withOUT any defects.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by as0016 View Post
check out icarbons or gelaskins. throw a cool skin on it and you'll never notice.
Thanks for the input, I will check it out. I have a case, so I may just live with it since Apple doesn't seem to care UNLESS someone decides to do a class action lawsuit. That will get their attention only because it is bad publicity and their image.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterKG View Post
That is glue or some other residue that, that can be removed using Goof-Off or Goo-Gone. I had the same thing and it cleaned up and is gone. Goof-Off is stronger and that was what worked.
Thanks, but I am pretty sure it is not residue.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evorc View Post
Ghost armor matte skin! Done, you will never see, it will give it a nice new finish. Common guys you can't expect apple to replace this. It's one thing if its like that out of the box, but anything else is caused by regular wear and tear. Would you expect the dealership to exchange your car if your clear coat get scratches or swirl marks after driving it for a month?
I think cars come with corrosion warranty, but I think that is not a good analogy though, but I see your point.

Last edited by sillywabbit; Nov 13, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
sillywabbit is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:23 PM   #17
cambookpro
macrumors 68040
 
cambookpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berks, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
People can talk about value over true cost all they want but realistically if you paid $913.54 that is your own fault. Got mine for about $134 after selling my 64 GB 4s. Why anyone would just straight pay full retail for something that can be made for less then 200 bucks is beyond me.
You pay the rest during your contract. Works to about the same, in the UK anyway. In fact, buying at retail and using on a cheap plan is cheaper in the long run.
cambookpro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:57 PM   #18
gsugolfer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
You pay the rest during your contract. Works to about the same, in the UK anyway. In fact, buying at retail and using on a cheap plan is cheaper in the long run.
In this US, your service is the same price either way, unless you use a carrier that's not one of the big three.
gsugolfer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:15 PM   #19
chrscap
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Oh snap, clear coat? ima cut n buff my phone! Maybe use some wax, some rain-x on the glass and park it in the garage!
chrscap is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:17 PM   #20
cambookpro
macrumors 68040
 
cambookpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berks, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugolfer View Post
In this US, your service is the same price either way, unless you use a carrier that's not one of the big three.
Oh fair enough, didn't know that. What a rip off!
cambookpro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:35 PM   #21
evorc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrscap View Post
Oh snap, clear coat? ima cut n buff my phone! Maybe use some wax, some rain-x on the glass and park it in the garage!
Lol don't forget to clay it too.
evorc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:00 AM   #22
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
Well, if I factor in all the black iPhone 5's that I bought with scuffs and re-sold them at a profit, then I guess my current WHITE iPhone 5 (with Apple care Plus) was free, but that is besides the point.

Other pay full retail because they want to keep their unlimited data plan or they are not up for renewal of their contract.

The iPhone, regardless of who manufactured it should be in NEW condition withOUT any defects.

----------



Thanks for the input, I will check it out. I have a case, so I may just live with it since Apple doesn't seem to care UNLESS someone decides to do a class action lawsuit. That will get their attention only because it is bad publicity and their image.

----------



Thanks, but I am pretty sure it is not residue.

----------



I think cars come with corrosion warranty, but I think that is not a good analogy though, but I see your point.
I don't mean to offend you or get you on the defensive but scuffs, marks, and scratches are not defects. By definition a defect is something the renders a product unusable for it's intended purpose. So yeah your little OCD fest is simply just someone expecting perfection from an imperfect system. How you resold scuffed iPhone 5's for a profit is very questionable but I'll take your word for it. Besides what you are picturing looks to me to just be any old smudge caused by placing the phone down on a rough surface or the like. Just put the thing in a case and move on. Don't want to use a case, then accept that these things are going to happen.
VandyChem2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:18 AM   #23
John T
macrumors 68020
 
John T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
John, lets be honest, if it happened to you, you would want it replaced as well. Since it did not happen to you, it is easy for you to say "forget it and get on with life!"
For goodness sake, no I wouldn't! The secret of the iPhone is in it's name - it's a phone! How can you see the back when you're using it? Not forgetting of course, you did originally admit that the "marks" were almost impossible to see.

The phone that my iPhone 5 replaced was a faithful old 3GS. Even though I kept it in a case, almost from day one it suffered from the well-known cracks in it's plastic back. Did they bother me? No, not really, I couldn't see them when I used it.

I suppose it's all a case of one's priorities.
John T is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:21 AM   #24
AFDoc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
John, lets be honest, if it happened to you, you would want it replaced as well. Since it did not happen to you, it is easy for you to say "forget it and get on with life!"

A phone valued at $913.54 (after tax and Apple Care Plus), you expect the phone to be in NEW condition and not flake, chip, scuff, etc. sooo soon. I never had a problem with any of the Android phones I had.

It is not hard to see in person, it is just getting it on camera that is hard. It has to be under certain lighting, at an angle, etc.

Thanks.

----------



Thanks Howard, you are probably right, it may be the "anodized" flaking off. I thought it was clear coat.

----------



Let us know if you have any luck. Thanks
OMFG when will you people freaking educate yourself. Anodizing can't "flake" off! It's a chemical change in the aluminum, there is NOTHING to FLAKE off! PLUS you say it's pretty much impossible to see..... meaning you can't really see it..... so how is it an issue?
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:42 AM   #25
HowardSmith
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
From Wikipedia:

Anodized aluminium surfaces are harder than aluminium but have low to moderate wear resistance, although this can be improved with thickness and sealing.

Although anodizing produces a very regular and uniform coating, microscopic fissures in the coating can lead to corrosion. Further, the coating is susceptible to chemical dissolution in the presence of high and low pH chemistry, which results in stripping the coating and corrosion of the substrate.

Looks like a poor choice for coating for a high wear item and all of this was quite predictable!
HowardSmith is offline   3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clear-Coat Aurora iPhone 5/5S mypyh4ooo iPhone Accessories 3 Nov 10, 2013 12:17 PM
Iphone 5 Clear Coat Review tngffl iPhone Accessories 1 Oct 23, 2012 06:47 PM
Why Doesn't Apple Put a Clear Coat on the iPhone 5? SomeDudeAsking iPhone 25 Oct 6, 2012 12:16 AM
ZAGG invisibleSHIELD HD vs. Clear-Coat walds11 iPad Accessories 3 Aug 8, 2012 09:48 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps