Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
OMFG when will you people freaking educate yourself. Anodizing can't "flake" off! It's a chemical change in the aluminum, there is NOTHING to FLAKE off! PLUS you say it's pretty much impossible to see..... meaning you can't really see it..... so how is it an issue?

You keep spreading misinformation about this and clearly do NOT know better. In fact in this instance you know nothing - there are many possible anodising failures that can happen and this is one of them. Check your facts before accusing and spreading such ridiculous information and stop posting as if you know better than people who have been affected by it.

It DOES flake off. The VERY same thing happened to Magic Mouse anodising in the first batches.

We have spent a lot of money on this phone and I personally expect it to last more than a couple days before showing the effects of manufacturing defects.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
You keep spreading misinformation about this and clearly do NOT know better. In fact in this instance you know nothing - there are many possible anodising failures that can happen and this is one of them. Check your facts before accusing and spreading such ridiculous information and stop posting as if you know better than people who have been affected by it.

It DOES flake off. The VERY same thing happened to Magic Mouse anodising in the first batches.

We have spent a lot of money on this phone and I personally expect it to last more than a couple days before showing the effects of manufacturing defects.

The color may "flake" off due to poor sealing after anodizing but the anodizing does not flake off. OR if the part is abused (bent) the color can be removed from the anodizing.... Anodizing itself is a chemical change in the surface of the metal, it can't flake.

"The anodic oxide structure originates from the aluminum substrate and is composed entirely of aluminum oxide. This aluminum oxide is not applied to the surface like paint or plating, but is fully integrated with the underlying aluminum substrate, so it cannot chip or peel. It has a highly ordered, porous structure that allows for secondary processes such as coloring and sealing."

http://www.anodizing.org/Anodizing/what_is_anodizing.html

SO, again, anodizing can't flake off.

Last edited:

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
The color may "flake" off due to poor sealing after anodizing but the anodizing does not flake off. OR if the part is abused (bent) the color can be removed from the anodizing.... Anodizing itself is a chemical change in the surface of the metal, it can't flake.

"The anodic oxide structure originates from the aluminum substrate and is composed entirely of aluminum oxide. This aluminum oxide is not applied to the surface like paint or plating, but is fully integrated with the underlying aluminum substrate, so it cannot chip or peel. It has a highly ordered, porous structure that allows for secondary processes such as coloring and sealing.
http://www.anodizing.org/Anodizing/what_is_anodizing.html
SO, again, anodizing can't flake off.

It can and does. It's NOT applied like a paint or plating, it indeed uses electro chemistry however it IS a plating and it does fall off though with manufacturing process/defect. I gave up taking my magic mouse in for replacement for the same reason.

Anodizing does not take well to materials with pre existing oxide inclusions and the result is coating voids and adhesion loss. It's often the initial machining process that causes these instances.

The process is has far better yield with prior bead blasting (shot peening) but it's an expensive process and one that I believe they have cut out for many reasons, one of the being 7075 is sensitive to the amount of blasting it receives. Especially with such fine pieces.

Attachments

• mouse2.JPG
    mouse2.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 51

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
It can and does. It's NOT applied like a paint or plating, it indeed uses electro chemistry however it IS a plating and it does fall off though with manufacturing process/defect. I gave up taking my magic mouse in for replacement for the same reason.

Anodizing does not take well to materials with pre existing oxide inclusions and the result is coating voids and adhesion loss. It's often the initial machining process that causes these instances.

The process is has far better yield with prior bead blasting (shot peening) but it's an expensive process and one that I believe they have cut out for many reasons, one of the being 7075 is sensitive to the amount of blasting it receives. Especially with such fine pieces.

ANODIZING IS NOT PLATING!!!!! Anodizing is a chemical CHANGE in the structure of the metal so it can't chip, flake, fall off, go away. If anodizing is being removed, metal is being removed.

Great, you're showing me pictures of the color not holding.... that is not the anodizing. You can argue with me but you can't argue with chemistry.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
ANODIZING IS NOT PLATING!!!!! Anodizing is a chemical CHANGE in the structure of the metal so it can't chip, flake, fall off, go away. If anodizing is being removed, metal is being removed.

Great, you're showing me pictures of the color not holding.... that is not the anodizing. You can argue with me but you can't argue with chemistry.

You do realize that if the top layer of aluminum, which in this case would be the anodizing layer flakes off then the anodizing will also flake off? This is what is pictured in the magic mouse picture. That is anodized aluminum as well. If it isn't Apple is lying.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
You do realize that if the top layer of aluminum, which in this case would be the anodizing layer flakes off then the anodizing will also flake off? This is what is pictured in the magic mouse picture. That is anodized aluminum as well. If it isn't Apple is lying.

OMFG no.... oh forget it. Look up what freaking anodizing is and figure it out for yourselves. If you (the ones arguing with me) won't take the time neither will I so have a good one.

Just a heads up, anodizing produces a "clear" coating, any color you see has been added in the form of a dye.

I didn't write this.... but some of you are still being clueless.

"The anodic oxide structure originates from the aluminum substrate and is composed entirely of aluminum oxide. This aluminum oxide is not applied to the surface like paint or plating, but is fully integrated with the underlying aluminum substrate, so it cannot chip or peel. It has a highly ordered, porous structure that allows for secondary processes such as coloring and sealing."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZhVOy-ytJY I'm done.

Last edited:

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
OMFG no.... oh forget it. Look up what freaking anodizing is and figure it out for yourselves. If you (the ones arguing with me) won't take the time neither will I so have a good one.

Just a heads up, anodizing produces a "clear" coating, any color you see has been added in the form of a dye.

Unlike you, I fail to see the need to prove anyone but myself as wrong. You should take care in throwing around your attitude like that on a subject you clearly know nothing about. That is all I care to add.

Your are clearly posturing and self aggrandising with semantics. I could care less.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas

I didn't write this.... but some of you are still being clueless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZhVOy-ytJY I'm done.

All I'm saying is if the aluminum scratches you will see the shiny aluminum underneath. It doesn't go straight through. You need to chill out man this is just a discussion.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I don't mean to offend you or get you on the defensive but scuffs, marks, and scratches are not defects. By definition a defect is something the renders a product unusable for it's intended purpose. So yeah your little OCD fest is simply just someone expecting perfection from an imperfect system. How you resold scuffed iPhone 5's for a profit is very questionable but I'll take your word for it. Besides what you are picturing looks to me to just be any old smudge caused by placing the phone down on a rough surface or the like. Just put the thing in a case and move on. Don't want to use a case, then accept that these things are going to happen.

but scuffs, marks, and scratches are defects.... no the device isnt defective.. but it does have defects

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/defect
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/defect
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/defect

not sure what dictionary yours comes from? but they all seem to fit defect...

im with you though 100% on the fact that people shouldnt be aloud to exchange it over a .01mm dot of anodized flaking.. like you mentioned in previous threads.. its very gracious of apple to let them :)

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I don't mean to offend you or get you on the offensive but scuffs, marks, and scratches are defects.... no the device isnt defective.. but it does have defects

im with you though 100% on the fact that people shouldnt be aloud to exchange it over a .01mm dot of anodized flaking.. like you mentioned in previous threads.. its very gracious of apple to let them :)

Big difference between defect and imperfection. Side note your sources for definitions basically back up what I'm saying.

de·fect   /n. ˈdifɛkt, dɪˈfɛkt; v. dɪˈfɛkt/ Show Spelled[n. dee-fekt, dih-fekt; v. dih-fekt] Show IPA
noun
1. a shortcoming, fault, or imperfection: a defect in an argument; a defect in a machine.
2. lack or want, especially of something essential to perfection or completeness; deficiency: a defect in hearing.
3. Also called crystal defect, lattice defect. Crystallography . a discontinuity in the lattice of a crystal caused by missing or extra atoms or ions, or by dislocations.

de·fect (dfkt, d-fkt)
n.
1. The lack of something necessary or desirable for completion or perfection; a deficiency: a visual defect.
2. An imperfection that causes inadequacy or failure; a shortcoming. See Synonyms at blemish.
intr.v. (d-fkt) de·fect·ed, de·fect·ing, de·fects
1. To disown allegiance to one's country and take up residence in another: a Soviet citizen who defected to Israel.
2. To abandon a position or association, often to join an opposing group: defected from the party over the issue of free trade.

de·fect noun \ˈdē-ˌfekt, di-ˈ\
Definition of DEFECT
1a : an imperfection that impairs worth or utility : shortcoming <the grave defects in our foreign policy> b : an imperfection (as a vacancy or an unlike atom) in a crystal lattice
2[Latin defectus] : a lack of something necessary for completeness, adequacy, or perfection : deficiency <a hearing defect>
See defect defined for English-language learners »
See defect defined for kids »

The only thing in those definitions that isn't up to interpretation is "The lack of something necessary". One can argue all day about what is desirable or needed on a device to be perfect. To me it's a phone that can complete the task of a phone. So no blemish screen.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Big difference between defect and imperfection.

an imperfection is a defect..
did you not read the definition of defect?
so yes...the scratches are defects contrary to what you said

1de·fect noun \ˈdē-ˌfekt, di-ˈ\

Definition of DEFECT

a : an imperfection that impairs worth or utility : shortcoming <the grave defects in our foreign policy>

b : an imperfection (as a vacancy or an unlike atom) in a crystal lattice
[Latin defectus] : a lack of something necessary for completeness, adequacy, or perfection : deficiency <a hearing defect>

de·fect   [n. dee-fekt, dih-fekt; v. dih-fekt] Show IPA
noun
a shortcoming, fault, or imperfection: a defect in an argument; a defect in a machine.

lack or want, especially of something essential to perfection or completeness; deficiency: a defect in hearing.

de·fect (dfkt, d-fkt)
n.
1. The lack of something necessary or desirable for completion or perfection; a deficiency: a visual defect.
2. An imperfection that causes inadequacy or failure; a shortcoming. See Synonyms at blemish.
intr.v. (d-fkt) de·fect·ed, de·fect·ing, de·fects

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
an imperfection is a defect..
did you not read the definition of defect?
So yes...the scratches are defects contrary to what you said

1de·fect noun \ˈdē-ˌfekt, di-ˈ\

definition of defect

a : an imperfection that impairs worth or utility : Shortcoming <the grave defects in our foreign policy>

b : An imperfection (as a vacancy or an unlike atom) in a crystal lattice
[latin defectus] : A lack of something necessary for completeness, adequacy, or perfection : Deficiency <a hearing defect>

de·fect   [n. Dee-fekt, dih-fekt; v. Dih-fekt] show ipa
noun
A shortcoming, fault, or imperfection: A defect in an argument; a defect in a machine.

Lack or want, especially of something essential to perfection or completeness; deficiency: A defect in hearing.

de·fect (dfkt, d-fkt)
n.
1. The lack of something necessary or desirable for completion or perfection; a deficiency: A visual defect.
2. An imperfection that causes inadequacy or failure; a shortcoming. See synonyms at blemish.
Intr.v. (d-fkt) de·fect·ed, de·fect·ing, de·fects

that impairs worth or utility. As I stated, it is all up to the beholder. What is needed for my device to be defective is the impairments of utility. Its worth is up to whoever is looking at it so in my opinion which is all that matters in this case he has no defect.

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
but scuffs, marks, and scratches are defects.... no the device isnt defective.. but it does have defects

The problem is alot of the scuffs are not so small. I have 4 x 1cm or longer sections where it has flaked off entirely. If I rub my nail on it it flakes off more. Give it another month and will look terrible. So firstly, where do you draw the line between small and large defects. And whose to say the situation with the small defects doesn't deteriorate further?

We're not talking about a cheap toy here. We're talking about a premium product which people have spent a premium on.

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
that impairs worth or utility. As I stated, it is all up to the beholder. What is needed for my device to be defective is the impairments of utility. Its worth is up to whoever is looking at it so in my opinion which is all that matters in this case he has no defect.

The literal definition of a defect is an imperfection.

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
Would you really be happy if your expensive phone looked like this after 3 days of REALLY looking after it?

Attachments

• photo.jpeg
    photo.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 102

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
The problem is alot of the scuffs are not so small. I have 4 x 1cm or longer sections where it has flaked off entirely. If I rub my nail on it it flakes off more. Give it another month and will look terrible. So firstly, where do you draw the line between small and large defects. And whose to say the situation with the small defects doesn't deteriorate further?

We're not talking about a cheap toy here. We're talking about a premium product which people have spent a premium on.

There is no winning an arguement based solely on opinions of what constitutes a defect. The only thing I can give you is my opinion and my opinion is Apple was more interested in being able to say their new phone was lighter and thinner than the competition. They accomplished this by using aluminum. Aluminum is well known for being a weaker metal. While I don't think it is up to the consumer to know this I can say unfortunately that this will continue to happen until they change the material they use for making the iPhone 5. So possibly iphone 5s.

----------

All of this is up to interpretation. I agree that in your mind you are correct and by my standard I am also correct.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

thank you!

i dont understand whats so hard to grasp about that for vandy.. any 1st grader who can read the dictionary could see that.

the worth is subjective.. the definition of a defect being an imperfection is unanimous among all dictionaries

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Would you really be happy if your expensive phone looked like this after 3 days of REALLY looking after it?

I always use a case on my phone and frankly have only ever cared about the screen so you are asking the wrong person. If it bugs you that is what is important.

----------

thank you!

i dont understand whats so hard to grasp about that for vandy.. any 1st grader who can read the dictionary could see that.

the worth is subjective.. the definition of a defect being an imperfection is unanimous among all dictionaries

What constitutes an imperfection is up to interpretation is what you apparently don't want to accept. The phone allows me to talk to people that are miles away. I can browse the internet, watch videos, and play apps on a pristine screen. Perfect to me.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I always use a case on my phone and frankly have only ever cared about the screen so you are asking the wrong person. If it bugs you that is what is important.

----------

What constitutes an imperfection is up to interpretation is what you apparently don't want to accept.

interpretation? its pretty black in white in multiple dictionaries. The worth the imperfection causes is what is up for interpretation :p that is what you apparently dont want to accept

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
interpretation? its pretty black in white in multiple dictionaries. The worth the imperfection causes is what is up for interpretation :p that is what you apparently dont want to accept

We are talking about a phone here not a jewel. I look at the phones screen. For it to be imperfect the screen needs to be scratched and tarnished. I couldn't care less about the frame. If a scratch on the frame is an imperfection to you then it is an imperfection and a defect to you. However, it isn't to me. I am sorry you don't like that I have a different opinion but the fact remains I am free to have it. Regardless of if you agree. Thank God for being in the USA.

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011

Thanks, yeah it does to me. I don't want to use a case. My iphone 4 still looks almost as good as new because I took care of it and it wasn't in a case. It's such a beautiful piece of design that I feel it's wrong to put it in a case. Also, if it is that fragile then they should supply a case with it. If you can't touch it with out the finish falling off then there is an issue.

Also there are reports of people having it in a case and it still wearing from the friction and small movement within the case. I had the same issue with my iPod many moons ago. The case actually did the damage.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Thanks, yeah it does to me. I don't want to use a case. My iphone 4 still looks almost as good as new because I took care of it and it wasn't in a case. It's such a beautiful piece of design that I feel it's wrong to put it in a case. Also, if it is that fragile then they should supply a case with it. If you can't touch it with out the finish falling off then there is an issue.

There is definitely something wrong with your anodizing though because flaking from touching makes no sense that should only flake from a fall or tough scratch. If you can take it and show it just flakes off from touching you should be able to get a new one. Seeing as anodizing is a chemical bond to your top layer of aluminum and normally it should only wear from what I mentioned I'd say this is in fact a defective coating. Oh snap I used the word defect.

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
There is definitely something wrong with your anodizing though because flaking from touching makes no sense that should only flake from a fall or tough scratch. If you can take it and show it just flakes off from touching you should be able to get a new one.

Thanks, I do believe I have a defective one. It's possible the anodising process has gone wrong and it hasn't taken hold in places, leaving only a light coat of paint to fall off. There are many similar issues around the net, it seems to do with the preparation of the material.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
We are talking about a phone here not a jewel. I look at the phones screen. For it to be imperfect the screen needs to be scratched and tarnished. I couldn't care less about the frame. If a scratch on the frame is an imperfection to you then it is an imperfection and a defect to you. However, it isn't to me. I am sorry you don't like that I have a different opinion but the fact remains I am free to have it. Regardless of if you agree. Thank God for being in the USA.

you are right on that..its your opinion . me personally I would include the products cosmetics to be considered in the definition of perfect. I wish more buyers were like vandy :) id be able to to list my iphone5 scratched up on the back (1 year from now) as perfect!

god bless america. The land of disregarding the dictionary.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
you are right on that..its your opinion and interpolation. me personally I would include the products cosmetics to be considered in the definition of perfect. I wish more buyers were like vandy :) id be able to to list my iphone5 scratched up on the back (1 year from now) as perfect!

god bless america. The land of disregarding the dictionary.

You know I'd be much more inclined to take what you say sersiously if you didn't end your posts with such back handed remarks. It's sad that you can't accept another person's opinion but that's your right. I also wonder, would you call the phone defective because of a peeling anodized coating? Also interpolation is a new word. I'd tell you to use spell check but I'm sure I have my fair share of misspelled words.

Anyway to go ahead and get this thread back on topic. I think that if the OP can somehow show that what is on his phone is in fact a defect in coating and not just normal wear and tear he should get a replacement.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.