Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:40 AM   #1
asicshu
macrumors newbie

Newbie questions regarding OS X 10.8 installation

Hi guys,

Bare with me since I'm switching over from Windows to Mac..

I recently bought a Macbook Pro 13" (mid 2012) a week ago with basic specs and I'm planning switch my 500GB HD to 256GB SSD Crucial M4. I was wondering when installing the OS X 10.8, do I have to install any drivers for it? or is it going to automatically install it for me. I'll be installing it through a bootable USB so I guess it shouldn't be that bad after watching YouTube videos of how to install an OS on a Mac.

Thank you!
asicshu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:00 AM   #2
AcesHigh87
macrumors 6502a

Everything you need should be right on the OS. If you want to save hassle though just download Carbon Copy Cloner when you get your macbook, plug the SSD in through an external enclosure and then copy the internal drive straight over. It'll get you an exact copy that's fully bootable. Since the macbook is brand new it won't have any extra stuff you don't want so might as well save yourself extra trouble of clean installing it.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:13 PM   #3
asicshu
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh87 View Post
Everything you need should be right on the OS. If you want to save hassle though just download Carbon Copy Cloner when you get your macbook, plug the SSD in through an external enclosure and then copy the internal drive straight over. It'll get you an exact copy that's fully bootable. Since the macbook is brand new it won't have any extra stuff you don't want so might as well save yourself extra trouble of clean installing it.
Well so far I already installed some apps on the Mac and I also installed bootcamp Window 7 64bit with some programs installed. So with that being said, Carbon Copy Cloner would allow me to copy all the files from my Mac HD to my SSD so that after I replace my Mac HD to the SSD, I would be able to run everything like normal like before right? Except the reading/writing speed would be very fast. Correct?

Thanks for helping me out AceHigh87, I really appreciate it!
asicshu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:37 AM   #4
AcesHigh87
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by asicshu View Post
Well so far I already installed some apps on the Mac and I also installed bootcamp Window 7 64bit with some programs installed. So with that being said, Carbon Copy Cloner would allow me to copy all the files from my Mac HD to my SSD so that after I replace my Mac HD to the SSD, I would be able to run everything like normal like before right? Except the reading/writing speed would be very fast. Correct?

Thanks for helping me out AceHigh87, I really appreciate it!
From what I remember bootcamp won't transfer, you'll need to re-install the Windows OS. Basically CCC doesn't handle partitions. Aside from that though, yup, it will copy everything over directly.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help