Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Hey All,

Wanted to see if people had experienced sleeping problems when an external hdd is connected. I have tried several external storage devices, including OWC Ministack but it won't sleep and the external device will wake it up. I have tried to look at what is keeping it up through terminal but search has not turned up anything.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I have two external drives always connected and my Mini has no problems at all with sleep.

It actually sleeps when I don't want it to (due to Mountain Lion… DOH). Here's where terminal's command 'caffeinate' comes in handy.

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I have two external drives always connected and my Mini has no problems at all with sleep.

It actually sleeps when I don't want it to (due to Mountain Lion… DOH). Here's where terminal's command 'caffeinate' comes in handy.

That's good to know if others are not having these issues as well. I wonder what externals you have as in what type of USB chipset is connected. Is this on a 2012 mini?

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
As above, I also have the opposite problem. My narcoleptic mini wants to nod off during handbrake encodes, and even puts external HD's to sleep in the middle of file transfers. :rolleyes:

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
That's good to know if others are not having these issues as well. I wonder what externals you have as in what type of USB chipset is connected. Is this on a 2012 mini?

Yes, 2012 Mini. A 1TB FW800 iomega drive and a 1TB USB2.0 Toshiba one.

As above, I also have the opposite problem. My narcoleptic mini wants to nod off during handbrake encodes, and even puts external HD's to sleep in the middle of file transfers. :rolleyes:

Option 1 is to disable sleep, which I don't like.
Option 2 is to open terminal and type:

$ caffeinate -t number

Where number is a number of seconds. If you estimate the Handbrake is gonna take for lets say 7 hours. Just type:

$ caffeinate -t 25200

It'll stay away for 7 hours. Then will go to sleep as normal.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Thanks. I actually downloaded the caffeine app after I discovered the problem. Hopefully it won't be an issue from here on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.