Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
G'day all,

I've finally made the jump from A2 to A3.

One thing I've been disappointed with in A3 is how brushes are no longer additive.

For example, in A2, each successive dodge over a region continuously brightens that region.

But now, in A3, that region instantly brightens to the value indicated by the slider, with successive dodges having no effect.

I can only seem to partially emulate the A2 way of working by continuously adding more dodge brush adjustments, but I find this is greatly unintuitive for a creative process.

I'm hoping there's a way for brushes to work like they did in A2, can anybody shed some light? Any replies are appreciated :)

Thanks,
-Reef

Last edited:

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I'm not an A2 user but have been using A3 for awhile.

I do know that you can brush an area of an image that you want to dodge or burn then use the slider to change the intensity of the effect within the area you've already brushed. The intensity of the effect will be uniform throughout that area.

You can also brush-in and brush-out these effects within the same image using the settings adjustments for each.

I'm not sure if that answers your question...

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Do brushes have opacity in Aperture? In Lightroom you can change the opacity (called "Flow") of a brush so that each successive stroke builds upon the last one. The end result is then affected--to whatever extent the opacity dictates--by the settings of the "pin" that governs that set of strokes, and those settings may be changed at any time.

I would not be surprised if Aperture 3 has something similar, but I'm sorry that I can't say for sure, since I don't use it myself.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
ApertureExpert may provide you with a definitive answer. Either do a search of the site or go to Help>User Forum>User Question. Whenever I was stuck with an Aperture issue, I always got it resolved there.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Many thanks for the replies.

I'm not an A2 user but have been using A3 for awhile.

I do know that you can brush an area of an image that you want to dodge or burn then use the slider to change the intensity of the effect within the area you've already brushed. The intensity of the effect will be uniform throughout that area.

You can also brush-in and brush-out these effects within the same image using the settings adjustments for each.

I'm not sure if that answers your question...

This is what I'm currently doing, it doesn't feel very intuitive compared to how I was working before.
I can see the advantages of this approach, being able to uniformly brighten everything I've painted is nice, but having to go drag that slider every time I want a small section brighter every time is a chore. Thanks for the info on brush-in, I appreciate the reply.

Do brushes have opacity in Aperture? In Lightroom you can change the opacity (called "Flow") of a brush so that each successive stroke builds upon the last one. The end result is then affected--to whatever extent the opacity dictates--by the settings of the "pin" that governs that set of strokes, and those settings may be changed at any time.

I would not be surprised if Aperture 3 has something similar, but I'm sorry that I can't say for sure, since I don't use it myself.

This sounds exactly like what I'm after Phrasikleia! Unfortunately I'm unable to find mention of brush "opacity", only references to the "strength" slider which is not additive. Maybe I should have jumped to LR...

ApertureExpert may provide you with a definitive answer. Either do a search of the site or go to Help>User Forum>User Question. Whenever I was stuck with an Aperture issue, I always got it resolved there.

Thanks fcortese, I've learnt a bit reading that site, I didn't find an answer but I'll try my luck asking there. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.