Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:39 AM   #1
WatchYouGo
macrumors member

Ordered AT&T iPad through apple, can get $100?

I ordered the new iPad through the Apple store, it's scheduled for delivery on Monday. I have a mobile share plan through AT&T, will I be able to commit to a contract and still get the $100 off? BTW, once I heard about the discount I had my local AT&T reserve me one as well, so one of them will be returned (but being a nice a guy I won't take the plastic off the box).
WatchYouGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:21 AM   #2
maflynn

Isn't the 100 dollars off when you buy the tablet from them, not just using their service?
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:25 AM   #3
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchYouGo View Post
I ordered the new iPad through the Apple store, it's scheduled for delivery on Monday. I have a mobile share plan through AT&T, will I be able to commit to a contract and still get the $100 off?
No. You have to buy it through AT&T. It's a discount on the device so how can AT&T give you a discount if you don't buy it from them?
TB07-NJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:56 AM   #4
WatchYouGo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB07-NJ View Post
No. You have to buy it through AT&T. It's a discount on the device so how can AT&T give you a discount if you don't buy it from them?
They could easily prorate your monthly service fee, not that they would but it is possible.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:19 AM   #5
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
They could easily prorate your monthly service fee, not that they would but it is possible.
Yes, theoretically they could, but why would they if you didn't purchase it from them? The whole point of them giving a discount is to get you to purchase the iPad and the service from them.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:28 AM   #6
rmhop81
macrumors 68000

Quote:
why not just follow the rules of getting the $100 discount? lol
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:41 AM   #7
WatchYouGo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
why not just follow the rules of getting the $100 discount? lol

LOL? I ordered one through Apple before AT&T announced the discount. Does that answer your question?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:36 AM   #8
iMas70
macrumors 6502

Same situation for me! It to late to do anything with the one in transit because it's bought/shipped. I'll be returning the one that arrives in a few days and getting one from AT&T at a $150. savings.
iMas70 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Txjole
macrumors member

Short answer is no one knows if AT&T will help u out for a device purchased from Apple. The reason for the promo is to get you in an AT&T contract not for them to make money off the device.
Txjole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 AM   #10
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
LOL? I ordered one through Apple before AT&T announced the discount. Does that answer your question?
Then return it to the store and go to att to buy an iPad.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:13 AM   #11
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
Then return it to the store and go to att to buy an iPad.
Agreed. If the $100 is that important to you OP, this is what you need to do.
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:07 AM   #12
Txjole
macrumors member

Or ask, I did and just got a $100 credit from AT&T for 2 MINI'S that are not even on the program, and I yet to add then to my plan

Quote:
By the way for the courtesy credit I can give you a $100.00 credits and it will be applied on your bill.
Txjole is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:42 AM   #13
rmhop81
macrumors 68000

Quote:
so why was this thread created?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:48 AM   #14
ansabakhan
macrumors 65816

this is for ipad 3 , not the new one correct?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:08 PM   #15
WatchYouGo
macrumors member

Quote:
so why was this thread created?
Because if AT&T won't prorate my plan I'll return the iPad to Apple and buy again through AT&T. Unfortunately, AT&T isn't "officially" taking orders yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansabakhan View Post
this is for ipad 3 , not the new one correct?
This is for the 4th gen iPad.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:17 PM   #16
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Because if AT&T won't prorate my plan I'll return the iPad to Apple and buy again through AT&T. Unfortunately, AT&T isn't "officially" taking orders yet.

This is for the 4th gen iPad.
So you know the solution. Why ask?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:26 PM   #17
WatchYouGo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
So you know the solution. Why ask?
Because I haven't been able to call AT&T and ask if they can/will prorate/credit my account. I thought this was a forum for asking questions, my apologies.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:31 PM   #18
rmhop81
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Because I haven't been able to call AT&T and ask if they can/will prorate/credit my account. I thought this was a forum for asking questions, my apologies.
we aren't AT&T. usually when rules are in place they are meant to be followed. If you don't follow the rules, how do we know what the results will be?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:35 PM   #19
WatchYouGo
macrumors member

Quote:
we aren't AT&T. usually when rules are in place they are meant to be followed. If you don't follow the rules, how do we know what the results will be?
Oh, OK. No AT&T related threads allowed here, got it. Thanks Sheriff.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:40 PM   #20
rmhop81
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Oh, OK. No AT&T related threads allowed here, got it. Thanks Sheriff.
never said that.......but AT&T says you have to buy through them. they don't say, buy wherever you want we'll credit you the difference since you didn't follow the rules.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:41 PM   #21
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
a) the OP is looking to see if anybody has done the same thing and might have feedback from AT&T
b) your attitude is miserable, you have nothing to contribute to the thread, not sure why you post

To the OP: Obviously keep trying to contact AT&T - I suspect that if you make a fuss about poor customer service etc., threaten to exchange for Verizon iPad, they will credit your bill $100.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:48 PM   #22
rmhop81
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepCalmPeople View Post
a) the OP is looking to see if anybody has done the same thing and might have feedback from AT&T
b) your attitude is miserable, you have nothing to contribute to the thread, not sure why you post

To the OP: Obviously keep trying to contact AT&T - I suspect that if you make a fuss about poor customer service etc., threaten to exchange for Verizon iPad, they will credit your bill $100.
i've been around a long time. it gets old seeing these type threads......

and one's like, what color shirt were you wearing when you purchased your LTE iPad at the apple store even though you meant to purchase it at an AT&T store to get the $100 discount.

it's reasons like you post as to why prices are high and increase. suggesting OP to threaten AT&T bc he can't follow the rules?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:03 PM   #23
WatchYouGo
macrumors member

Quote:
it's reasons like you post as to why prices are high and increase. suggesting OP to threaten AT&T bc he can't follow the rules?
It has nothing to do with me not being able to follow rules. If I have to get it directly through AT&T I will, that's not a problem. The issue is that I ordered through Apple before AT&T announced the discount (I can easily return to Apple before cracking it open). I was only asking if anybody knows if AT&T is giving credit to new iPad contracts that were not purchased through AT&T. After all, I'm on a mobile share plan and pay around $150 a month. It's not outrageous to think that AT&T would offer me $100 to extend a mobile contract. You do the math, $150 x 24 months is a substantial profit for them. Also, keep in mind I've been a good customer with them for ~5 years, maybe they'd consider it good customer service. I doubt I'm the reason prices high and increase.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:19 PM   #24
vanz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I ordered the new iPad through the Apple store, it's scheduled for delivery on Monday. I have a mobile share plan through AT&T, will I be able to commit to a contract and still get the $100 off? BTW, once I heard about the discount I had my local AT&T reserve me one as well, so one of them will be returned (but being a nice a guy I won't take the plastic off the box).
Doesn't matter if you leave the plastic on...they'll open it up anyway to check if the device is actually in there.
vanz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:10 PM   #25
jrlepage
macrumors 6502a

OP, I have the same question and was interested to see people's responses. Don't let the rude replies get you down. Some people get their kicks by being jerks on the interwebs. :-/
jrlepage is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad