Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:01 PM   #1
DayOfChaos
macrumors 6502

My iPad 4 is perfect, so happy I didn't choose Mini

And this is coming from someone who just retired their iPad 1. The display is PERFECT. There is NO blacklight bleed, no dead pixels, and the colors all look perfect, just like my iPhone 5. Performance is rockin', and while the OS as a whole is smooth as butter, everything from websites rendering to photo editing apps are about x10 faster then the iPad 3 (used my mother's iPad before deciding to upgrade).

Then..I saw the Mini. I laughed. The A5 is alot slower, the screen is laughable, and I read about the 512MB of RAM, which doesn't future proof the Mini at all.

If you are looking for power, and a big beautiful display, the iPad 4 is the way to go. Happy with my purchase!
DayOfChaos is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Binarymix
macrumors 6502a

yay you!
Binarymix is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:04 PM   #3
jmthigpen
macrumors regular

loving my LTE mini that came today
jmthigpen is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4
DayOfChaos
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmthigpen View Post
loving my LTE mini that came today
Enjoy, but just wasn't for me. Glad it works for you though.
DayOfChaos is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Lindsford
macrumors 6502a

I wish everyone made a post every time they were satisfied with something they just bought.
Lindsford is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:08 PM   #6
kingalien
macrumors regular

Have both, love both. Mini primarily to check emails and simple stuff. Love the form factor.
kingalien is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:09 PM   #7
DayOfChaos
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsford View Post
I wish everyone made a post every time they were satisfied with something they just bought.
Well, you did read it, then click it, then choose to even comment on it. If it bothers you, the back button is a click away.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingalien View Post
Have both, love both. Mini primarily to check emails and simple stuff. Love the form factor.
Agree. I wish all the internals of the 4 were in the mini, then I would be sold.
DayOfChaos is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:12 PM   #8
Tokes Green
macrumors regular

Again, different devices for different purposes. I'm much happier pulling the mini out when commuting (saves me carrying a bag around) than the 4. They are both good devices in their own rights.
Tokes Green is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:36 PM   #9
token787
macrumors regular

I love the Ipad 4.
token787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:43 PM   #10
DaReaper
macrumors member

Talking

I haven't had a chance to check out the iPad 4 but I got my mini today. I love it, I'm replying to your post with it.
DaReaper is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:58 PM   #11
Poochi
macrumors 6502

returning the mini after trying to love it for 2 weeks, and I do love its size but my eyes are really tired switching between retina (iPad 3, iPhone 5, RMBP) and non-retina...

so iPad 4 here I come!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokes Green View Post
Again, different devices for different purposes. I'm much happier pulling the mini out when commuting (saves me carrying a bag around) than the 4. They are both good devices in their own rights.
I find mini is a lot more discrete and the size is perfect... only if Apple didn't put that bloody screen on such a nice device...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:11 PM   #12
Trooper Sam
macrumors newbie

I'm looking forward to being happy with my new iPad 4 tomorrow. It's at home waiting for me.
Trooper Sam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:12 PM   #13
atthecross
macrumors 6502

i'll end up with both, ipad for me, mini for my bride
atthecross is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:36 PM   #14
Badrottie
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOfChaos View Post
And this is coming from someone who just retired their iPad 1. The display is PERFECT. There is NO blacklight bleed, no dead pixels, and the colors all look perfect, just like my iPhone 5. Performance is rockin', and while the OS as a whole is smooth as butter, everything from websites rendering to photo editing apps are about x10 faster then the iPad 3 (used my mother's iPad before deciding to upgrade).

Then..I saw the Mini. I laughed. The A5 is alot slower, the screen is laughable, and I read about the 512MB of RAM, which doesn't future proof the Mini at all.

If you are looking for power, and a big beautiful display, the iPad 4 is the way to go. Happy with my purchase!
really? I hope iPad 5 will be THINEST I can wait until March/April 2013.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:52 PM   #15
plucky duck
macrumors 6502

I don't think I can give up my iPad 3 and replace it with an iPad mini. They can both compliment each other nicely. I like both form factors equally. An iPad mini is in the cards, but I can afford to wait and see what the mini 2 brings.

The iPad 3 does not feel slow, has retina display, does everything I ask of it. As for the issue with weight and oddity with holding it in my hands I did get a Targus Versavue case which made it so much more easier to handle and didn't mind the extra weight.
plucky duck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:55 PM   #16
cang87
macrumors member

Quote:
I think you should cry instead of laughing when you realize the weight of mini is half way less than the 4. Of course 4 is very powerful device compared to the Mini, but even when comparing and laughing about the differances, you miss or don't want to see the better points of Mini. Which has more buying power than iPad 4 for sure! At least till now..
Retina MacBook Pro 15'', 2.3 Ghz Quad-Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD
cang87 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:00 AM   #17
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

Nice to hear that you are happy with your decision. A few days ago I was in the Apple Store trying out the iPad mini, and when I saw the screen, I immediately decided that I would not buy it. As someone who is used to using the retina display on the iPad 3, I just couldn't bear the quality of the iPad mini's display. I am extremely happy with my iPad 3, haven't found a reason to upgrade to the latest generation, but it will be a huge improvement for people like you who upgraded from iPad 1. Enjoy your new iPad
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:02 AM   #18
ANMA dojo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Agree. I wish all the internals of the 4 were in the mini, then I would be sold.
sure, next year... but then you might be pining for the ipad 5 at that time.
ANMA dojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:54 AM   #19
Tokes Green
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochi View Post
returning the mini after trying to love it for 2 weeks, and I do love its size but my eyes are really tired switching between retina (iPad 3, iPhone 5, RMBP) and non-retina...

so iPad 4 here I come!

----------

I find mini is a lot more discrete and the size is perfect... only if Apple didn't put that bloody screen on such a nice device...
I'll be getting a retina mini for sure, but the screen is not an issue for me - I love retina, but it didn't effect my purchase decision. I bought the mini purely for the portability and weight of it, great little device to have around, and now we have two
Tokes Green is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:05 AM   #20
Dlanod
macrumors 6502a

Sold my iPad 3 a few moths back having decided on a Mini when it was released. Received the Mini on release day and was so disappointed that I boxed it up within the hour and went to my local store and bought an iPad 4. Never looked back. The Mini screen quality is just a killer for me. That and the fact that both the units I received had debris under the screen.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:57 AM   #21
Chrisxenofontos
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to Chrisxenofontos
mini screen is a backdown....
I am sure retina ipad mini will sell really well next year
Apple Airport Time Capsule 2TB
Chrisxenofontos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:24 AM   #22
maflynn

The bottom line is you bought a device that best suits your needs, that's great you found one and didn't compromise.

Conversely the mini for me is a better fit for my needs, the bottom line. One size does not fit all.

Congrats on your new iPad
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:27 AM   #23
nishishei
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cang87 View Post
I think you should cry instead of laughing when you realize the weight of mini is half way less than the 4. Of course 4 is very powerful device compared to the Mini, but even when comparing and laughing about the differances, you miss or don't want to see the better points of Mini. Which has more buying power than iPad 4 for sure! At least till now..
The iPad 4 is barely 0.80 pound heavier. Your case is likely to add as much in weight. If lifting 1.44 pounds makes you cry, I hope for your sake you never get drafted.
nishishei is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:36 AM   #24
Northwestern
macrumors regular

I haven't decided yet which way I'll go, iPad mini or iPad 4. But reading all the negative posts about the non-retina display of the iPad mini, I think I might go with the iPad 4. My parents have the iPad 2 and I have a MacBook Air. I don't know if I really need an iPad, but I am using my parents iPad 2 for some time and I like it very much. I will decide by the end of november, because I would like to have an iPad with cellular.
Northwestern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:41 AM   #25
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

serious question, what kind of future proof are you looking for? I would say about 90% of the people who bought a mini will buy the new version next year. It is future proof enough to last a year, and that is all I personally care about.

If you upgrade yearly, the mini actually makes perfect sense b.c you could buy 2 of them for almost the price of an ipad 4.

I own both right now, but the more I use the mini the more I like it. At first I could not get past the screen, but using a difference browser definitely helps.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad