Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:13 AM   #1
geetee24
macrumors newbie

Java help

I'm new to the mac community so i'm really quite clueless with the java lingo here (not that i was with windows). I just bought my 15" rMBP and it comes preloaded with OS X v10.8.2. Here's my situation.

I was trying to install Vuze and it had a pop-up saying this: 'To open "Vuze Installer", you need a Java SE 6 runtime. Would you like to istall one now?". I clicked install and i got this: 'The update "Java for OS X 2012-006" can't be installed.'

Thinking that just installing any Java would suffice, i downloaded and installed V7U9. It still couldn't work so i looked around macforums and found this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559?viewlocale=en_US

I don't know what i did with that and i dont' know what's going on with my mac right now. I still have java 7 installed but i don't know if it's running as it should. and how can i get java SE 6 so that i can install Vuze, and some other applications that might need SE 6?

Sorry for the long post. don't know the jargons to shorten this.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:16 AM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

When faced with Installer issues, as you are, the first troubleshooting step is opening Console and searching the logs for "install" - that will return anything installd logged while installing software.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:39 PM   #3
geetee24
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
When faced with Installer issues, as you are, the first troubleshooting step is opening Console and searching the logs for "install" - that will return anything installd logged while installing software.
would having the icon in my system preferences be suffice to say that it's already installed? that was what i gathered from the java website itself.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:52 AM   #4
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee24 View Post
would having the icon in my system preferences be suffice to say that it's already installed? that was what i gathered from the java website itself.
That icon being present only says that Java 7 is installed correctly. It says nothing at all about Java 6, which is sourced from Apple, not Oracle.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:10 AM   #5
geetee24
macrumors newbie

i tried searching for install in console but i didn't find anything meaningful. either that or i couldn't decipher what was in there.

i think i've sorta solved my issue. went to this link: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#osxmountainlion and downloaded "Java for OS X 2012-006". works fine now.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:30 AM   #6
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetee24 View Post
i tried searching for install in console but i didn't find anything meaningful. either that or i couldn't decipher what was in there.

i think i've sorta solved my issue. went to this link: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#osxmountainlion and downloaded "Java for OS X 2012-006". works fine now.
You have completely solved your issue, if Java 6 and 7 are both alive and functional.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help