Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Ramius
macrumors 6502

How are sales in iBooks Store?

Iīm considering writing a book in iBooks Author. I think I have a good idea, that I could put some time and effort in, but first I want to know this: Are people buying these iBooks?

This is normally the sort of thing I would have asked Apple about themselves. But I have no idea on who to turn to here, so I might as well ask here.

Is there a successrate for people debuting as authors through the iBooks store? Is there a chance to generate enough sales to earn proper money?
Is it mostly the classics and big writers who can make bucks there, or is it a good platform for starting out in the litterature business?

I ask these questions because from what I have gathered, once you publish a book with the iBooks Author, you basically have to stick to the iBooks Store platform. You canīt print it and sell it to publishers etc..? You have to stick to the Apple way.
Ramius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:21 AM   #2
maflynn

I don't know what tools other authors use, but there are books that are on sale for the Kindle and iBooks, perhaps you should look at any of those tools which offer better cross platform support.

I have no real statistics, its really my personal observation but I believe the Amazon's Kindle platform is larger and moves more books then apple's iBooks.

For the record I have both apps but I prefer buying them from ibooks, I like the presentation and polish better but I have more selection from kindle.
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Ramius
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I don't know what tools other authors use, but there are books that are on sale for the Kindle and iBooks, perhaps you should look at any of those tools which offer better cross platform support.

I have no real statistics, its really my personal observation but I believe the Amazon's Kindle platform is larger and moves more books then apple's iBooks.

For the record I have both apps but I prefer buying them from ibooks, I like the presentation and polish better but I have more selection from kindle.
Thatīs exactly the reason I got my eyes on Apples system. The free iBooks Author app seems like a good and easy way to make a good looking book. And Iīm educated in Media, and know inDesign and all that, but still I prefer simple tools such as iMovie and such.

I also see a potential problem for Apple: There are too many different stores. You got iTunes, iBooks, App Store, News Stand etc. I suspect there might be some cannibalism between these.
Ramius is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store