Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:17 AM   #1
davideotape
macrumors 6502

iPad Mini designed apps?

Day 2 of my mini, noticing that because its a scaled down iPad, some apps and webpage experiences (built for the larger screen) are different as well. Like I'll accidentally click on something that I never did before on the larger iPad, or it will take me 2-3 tries to click on something that was easy before. Something easy to read on the larger screen takes some zooming here, etc.

Regardless of Apple making it "easy" on developers by not changing the screen dimensions or pixels, do you think we'll start to see the mini either create new mini-tailored apps, or influence app design overall for optimized use in both formats?
davideotape is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:19 AM   #2
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideotape View Post
Regardless of Apple making it "easy" on developers by not changing the screen dimensions or pixels, do you think we'll start to see the mini either create new mini-tailored apps, or influence app design overall for optimized use in both formats?
No. That was the whole point of releasing a 1024x768 Mini. To avoid precisely this.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:21 AM   #3
CocoPops
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
No. That was the whole point of releasing a 1024x768 Mini. To avoid precisely this.

This.
CocoPops is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:25 AM   #4
davideotape
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I understand that, on a practical level, yes. But the two devices do have two different experiences. My question is, do you think some app developers will understand this, and if not make a mini-specific app, at least heavily consider having to share 2 size platforms when developing new apps.

This forum might be a bit too hardware focused for this question, maybe I should post on a design forum or something.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:30 AM   #5
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
... do you think some app developers will understand this, and if not make a mini-specific app, at least heavily consider having to share 2 size platforms when developing new apps.....
The good ones will, or at least should. I mean, if there is something they can do to make it better on either platform (iPad 3/4 and Mini) they should, but I don't expect to see "Mini apps". There's a lot of apps in the app store, and many are neglected by their developers. If an app generated $20 in revenue (as in twenty dollars), the likelihood of them going back and tweaking it to fit the mini form factor are zero. There's a lot of crap apps in the app store. Something like QuickOffice HD or something like that I'd expect them to pay more attention.

So they should consider it. If they are good developers and have the financial incentive to do so, then yes.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:32 AM   #6
davideotape
macrumors 6502

For example: safari- the "x" close tab button is brutally close to the "back" arrow now. So, something that was never an issue on a larger screen now creates an issue of me accidentally closing a site when all I wanted to do was see the last page I was on.

Do you see where I'm going with my question? Just because you CAN port the larger iPad app to a mini doesn't mean it's the best design for it.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:34 AM   #7
ZBoater
macrumors 603

I see what you're saying, although in that case I'd swipe back.

Yes, if there are UI issues like that you would expect the better developers to respond with an update. Best bet is for us (the users) to let them know by giving them constructive feedback.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:36 AM   #8
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
For example: safari- the "x" close tab button is brutally close to the "back" arrow now. So, something that was never an issue on a larger screen now creates an issue of me accidentally closing a site when all I wanted to do was see the last page I was on.

Do you see where I'm going with my question? Just because you CAN port the larger iPad app to a mini doesn't mean it's the best design for it.
I have the same issue. Seems like once every 10 times I hit the back button, I end up closing the tab (by accidentally hitting the "x" button).

If you are a developer and make a mini-optimized version of your app, wonder how people would find it? Seems like Apple would need to make the App Store aware of this, and display apps optimized for the mini to mini owners.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:50 AM   #9
chleuasme
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes, if there are UI issues like that you would expect the better developers to respond with an update.
It's not "UI issues", it's "UI issues on the mini only". Spacing or sizing is not here a problem on the 9.7" iPad. How will your changes look on it, as both models would run the same modified UI?
chleuasme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:06 AM   #10
supertomtom
macrumors member

I think developers will at least start keeping iPad mini's size in mind when designing apps. Didn't The New York Times ipad app recently get updated with the change-log saying 'optimized for iPad mini'? I'm sure we'll see a few more of those.
supertomtom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:12 AM   #11
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by chleuasme View Post
It's not "UI issues", it's "UI issues on the mini only". Spacing or sizing is not here a problem on the 9.7" iPad. How will your changes look on it, as both models would run the same modified UI?
The software can be smart enough to recognize the platform and make slight UI changes to adapt to the screen size.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:14 AM   #12
bigboar
macrumors 6502

http://www.cultofmac.com/201462/appl...for-ipad-mini/
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:15 AM   #13
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
Ouch. It looks like Apple doesn't see this as a problem...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:23 AM   #14
MacDarcy
macrumors 6502

Naaaah. I don't think so.

Of COURSE the experience on the mini is gonna feel differently than on the regular iPad. Its smaller! There is always gonna be a slight "adjusting" period.

My AT&T cellular iPad mini hasn't arrived yet, but I have fooled around with the wifi mini ALOT at my local Apple store(I practically live there lol)....and I find it so much more comfortable to hold and use than my regular iPad. Typing is easier and Viewing webpages is just as enjoyable as on the larger iPad IMHO.

Personal Opinions may vary on this of course, but I find it so.

Yeah, I had to zoom in on some text here and there, but I do that on my larger iPad too sometimes.

Anyway....I can't wait to get mine. Fed ex says it should be delivered today. Yay! :-D
MacDarcy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:44 AM   #15
chleuasme
macrumors regular

Quote:
The software can be smart enough to recognize the platform and make slight UI changes to adapt to the screen size.
Yep, it may probably be good enough if it can work in every cases.
Another topic on the subject: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1426836

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertomtom View Post
I think developers will at least start keeping iPad mini's size in mind when designing apps. Didn't The New York Times ipad app recently get updated with the change-log saying 'optimized for iPad mini'? I'm sure we'll see a few more of those.
If they do this, aren't apps going to not look good anymore on the 9.7", with too many things a bit too large?
The NYT app apparently run differently on the mini: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1488619
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:39 AM   #16
davideotape
macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if this means they'll just drop the iPad 2 and make this the new effective iPad 2.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:58 AM   #17
chleuasme
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm wondering if this means they'll just drop the iPad 2 and make this the new effective iPad 2.
What for you means this?

The iPad 2 will probably disappear in 2013 with the next revision of iPads.

Last edited by chleuasme; Nov 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:05 AM   #18
davideotape
macrumors 6502

The fact that there's no differentiator to developers between the ipad2 and the mini might mean that ones planned for obsolescence- although it would make sense that they would at least have app/browser support so yeah it was likely just an Apple oversight.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:18 AM   #19
chleuasme
macrumors regular

Not sure we're on topic anymore, but
I think the iPad 2 was making sense when the iPad 3 came out: cheaper and still good hardware performances.
With the iPad 4 out, it becomes harder to me to justify its presence, for only $100 less with no A6 and no retina display, even more when his sexy small new twin is $60 cheaper.
They probably were still selling too much of them to remove it, or even knew they'd have problem with production of the 4 and the mini, and needed it at least for the coming months as the 2 is probably more easily available/produced.
Now, with the mini, and even more if it gets retina at the next revision, no reason anymore to keep the 2 around I guess, and more likely Apple will offer the actual non-retina mini along the retina more expansive one.
I can't see the link you make. These are two different form factors, then two different kind of usages (with intersections).
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:27 AM   #20
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Theres a very small fraction of iPad apps that take advantage of the A6 processor, and not ONE, not ONE that HAS to have it to run. So this old A5, A6 discussion is moot. If the iPad with the A5 (iPad 2 or mini) can run everything that the iPad 4 can run, then we are fussing over some perceived slowdowns in a couple of games.

Really?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:29 AM   #21
KingArthurVI
macrumors regular

Flipboard was optimized for the iPad mini. I'm sure other devs can do that as well.

Quote:
Make sure you have the latest Flipboard update. Then, when you open Flipboard from the 7.9″ device, the font size will automatically increase to accommodate the new screen. If you decide that you donít want this slightly bigger font size on your mini, go to Settings > Text Size to adjust.
Source: http://inside.flipboard.com/2012/11/...for-ipad-mini/
iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi, 16GB black
KingArthurVI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:31 AM   #22
chleuasme
macrumors regular

Quote:
Theres a very small fraction of iPad apps that take advantage of the A6 processor, and not ONE, not ONE that HAS to have it to run. So this old A5, A6 discussion is moot. If the iPad with the A5 (iPad 2 or mini) can run everything that the iPad 4 can run, then we are fussing over some perceived slowdowns in a couple of games.

Really?
Who's saying the contrary?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:32 AM   #23
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingArthurVI View Post
Flipboard was optimized for the iPad mini. I'm sure other devs can do that as well.

Source: http://inside.flipboard.com/2012/11/...for-ipad-mini/
I don't mind changes like this that can be "undone" but I'd hate to see completely different UIs on the Mini - the whole point of it is that it's the full "iPad experience" on a smaller device.

Personally, I've not had a single problem with the smaller screen vs my old iPad and hitting the wrong buttons, etc
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:34 AM   #24
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502

I thought SJ, said that you would need to include a sandpaper or file for your fingers for the touch targets. I guess it's an extra assessory now, if only Steve were still around. ok i know that was 7 inch not 7.9...
metsjetsfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:43 AM   #25
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Some developers are tweaking their text a bit and making it larger so that it translates to the mini better. Not a whole lot of work but we are seeing some updates to address display on the mini.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad