Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrancoRumors

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
The New York Times updated their app today for the iPad mini's smaller screen, has anyone been able to check this out? Will developers modifying their apps to strattle the screen size between the two models help to alleviate some (not all) of the issues people have had with text size and usability.? Just looking for some opinions of people who can compare the new app with the old on the mini. Thanks.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Very interesting ... also in line for feedback.
Changes affect both iPad sizes, or did they differentiate them?
Screen caps welcome (9.7" + 7.9" portrait/landscape for comparison) :)

ctcampbell

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Developers can target the mini specifically so they could in theory give you a whole different UI optimised for the smaller screen.

FrancoRumors

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Does anyone have any before and after shots of the NYT app? That would be interesting to see.

Last edited:

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I don't know that I like this. The point of the mini resolution is to get full iPad apps on a smaller screen. Seems pointless to optimize the app because it creates fragmentation.

Dragonomicon

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2007
They increased the default size of the fonts on the various section screens -- the update made a substantive difference in the way the app feels. The text under a given article (the synopsis) was quite faint prior to the update. Now it's quite clear, but an obvious side effect is that there is less room for article detail.

It's a fair tradeoff and works well.

S

syd430

What I really want to know is if the optimisations in this app made its way through to the 9.7" iPads as well.

I don't use this app, but I want to know if I should expect all my apps for my ipad 4 to be slowly devoured thanks to the Mini

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I don't own the app but I've read they just increased the font size within the articles.

I did the same thing in the Huffington Post app. I increased the font size by a few points in the app's settings. Increases readability nicely. I'd hardly call this fragmentation though since a simple in-app preference to change font size is all that's needed (and likely already exists in many).

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The NYTimes app has always had an option to change font size. So why was this necessary?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.