Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Best Buy is offering the previous generation iPad 3 for $50 off and a free $75 Best Buy Gift Card for today only. The specific models offered are:

- iPad Wi-Fi/64GB/Black for $649.99 and $75 Gift Card
- iPad Wi-Fi/32GB White for $549.99 and $75 Gift Card
- iPad Wi-Fi/32GB/Black for $549.99 and $75 Gift Card

Note that this is not the most recent generation iPad, so the $50 off price is a little disingenuous. If you are willing to purchase a refurbished iPad, these models are available from Apple's online store for deeper discounts.

Article Link: Best Buy Offering iPad (3rd Gen) for $50 Off with $75 Gift Card

Zaren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2000
That's a good observation that getting the same model as a refurb from Apple is a few bucks cheaper. Saves the hassle of waiting for Best Buy to come around with a gift card too.

nachotaco

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
I think they will have better BF deals...$40-$60 off, including the new models! I was lucky enough to have premier silver status and got in on their early preview on Monday...$60 off any iPad! I ordered a 4th gen 16GB white WiFi iPad which gets delivered today! :D

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I . . . don't know. I agree with the author about the deal being a touch "shady". This is clearly meant to liquidate their stock of outdated models (the older new iPad) at a price that looks like a good deal for the current models (the newer new iPad). God, I knew the moment I saw "the new iPad" that this crap was going to happen!

I'm still lamenting the mini's price. It's really hard to justify paying $329 for last years A5X and a non-retina screen when just a few more $20's will nab you a refurbed iPad 3 with basically the same internals, but a sprawling retina canvas that's still state-of-the-art.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I . . . don't know. I agree with the author about the deal being a touch "shady". This is clearly meant to liquidate their stock of outdated models (the older new iPad) at a price that looks like a good deal for the current models (the newer new iPad). God, I knew the moment I saw "the new iPad" that this crap was going to happen!

I'm still lamenting the mini's price. It's really hard to justify paying $329 for last years A5X and a non-retina screen when just a few more $20's will nab you a refurbed iPad 3 with basically the same internals, but a sprawling retina canvas that's still state-of-the-art.

The mini doesn't have a5x, just a5.

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
Whoa, I thought it was $50 off the list price ($549 - $50 = $499 + $75 GC), which would seem like a good deal on the previous generation, at least compared to Apple's refurbished prices for the same models.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
3rd Gen. hmmm.
Tricky, tricky, Best Buy.

Coal in your stockings.

I . . . don't know. I agree with the author about the deal being a touch "shady".

What?!?! How is this "shady" or "tricky"? The ad clearly states that this is a 3rd generation iPad and it states that right next to the iPad label. The "3rd generation" note isn't buried in small fine print anywhere. Sheesh...I know BB isn't the best electronics retailer out there, but come on...there's nothing shady about what they are doing.

Dgierok2

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
After looking closer at the Black Friday best buy ad, it turns out that the "iPad with Retina display" for $40-$60 off they have listed is actually the 3rd generation iPad, not the 4th. There are going to be a lot of upset shoppers on Friday who go in expecting the 4th gen only to find out it is for the 3rd gen, especially when their site lists the 3rd gen as "3rd gen" and the 4th gen as "with Retina display"

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
After looking closer at the Black Friday best buy ad, it turns out that the "iPad with Retina display" for $40-$60 off they have listed is actually the 3rd generation iPad, not the 4th. There are going to be a lot of upset shoppers on Friday who go in expecting the 4th gen only to find out it is for the 3rd gen, especially when their site lists the 3rd gen as "3rd gen" and the 4th gen as "with Retina display"

I think Apple is at least partially to blame for this confusion. The terms that BB use are the correct terms for each model (or at least Apple refers to the 4th gen as the 'iPad with Retina'). I think it is NOT clear to consumers which model is the newest. It is not really up to BB to educate consumers over and above correctly labelling products - that's what the Apple website and other electronics sites are for.
Presumably if consumers realize they don't have the latest iPad, they can choose to return it to BB within the return window. When they go to the store they will also see the more expensive 4th gen on display - a big clue.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Just like the Apple Store;)

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
The metaphor you were looking for is on the fence. On the ropes comes from a description of a boxer who is being pummeled and possibly about to hit the canvas.

Thanks for the metaphor correction Verbatim English. I wasn't "looking for" on the fence. Does one "look for" a metaphor? ;)

Edit: Regardless, it's a good deal!

Last edited:

brdwygurl

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I think the Best Buy offer is for the newest iPad. I was going to purchase one and made sure that the description said lightning cable and A6x chip. If it's not the 4th gen I will be taking it back

Dgierok2

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
I've called bby and have received many tweets saying it is the a5x chip meaning 3rd gen. With target right next store offering 4th gen with a $60 gift card, I bet more will go with that option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.