Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I can't stand the sounds that come on the phone, that's one aspect of jailbreaking I need to take advantage of

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
I can't stand the sounds that come on the phone, that's one aspect of jailbreaking I need to take advantage of

Maybe you should make , and or download some new tones, or ringtones.

How many sounds come on your phone?? Maybe re-work your notification centre preferences too.

To answer your question, I only keep my phone on silent when I am at work, because that's the rule.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
For me, never.

I have downloaded the sounds I like for the alerts I can change.

One thing that does annoy me is not being able o choose how i want to be alerted over a Facebook update.

yezza

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
My phone's on silent all of the time, except on rare occasions where I'm expecting a super important call. And for those times, I've created my own ring tone.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
My phone's on silent all of the time, except on rare occasions where I'm expecting a super important call. And for those times, I've created my own ring tone.

Is that because you find the iPhone sounds annoying?

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I have silent on when i need it to be on. At night i have do no disturb on as its far superior to silent.

Also, this forum needs a quick reply.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009

I thought I was the only one! Even then when I'm expecting a call I just pay more attention to my phone

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I always keep it on silent. I find other people's ringtones rather annoying frankly. Besides, in iOS one can assign custom vibrations to different callers, so one needn't have a different ringtone for each person.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I heard my phone's ringtone for the first time after I started listening to music on it. Before that, the first thing I did the moment my phone was activated was to flip the silent switch.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
only when I go to bed and the rare time I'm in a meeting or something. but I do get alot of twitter notifications so sometimes if i'm getting alot i put it on silent if i'm with family.

Aug 5, 2012

I understand what you're saying about the sounds.

They've been the same for years now and often provoke various memories and thoughts

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
I use a silent ringtone for default, then custom ringtones for the select few I don't want to miss. Then do not disturb at night, with exceptions for the select few I don't want to miss. :D I also tried using loud ringtones for my customs, so that I can turn down the phone volume and my alerts are relatively quiet. Works for me.

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012

no. but i have to personal ringtones. 1. being a 'silent' ringtone and... 2. a general ringtone. thus i use the 'silent' ringtone as my default ringtone. and only a select few a ringtone that creates sound.

all without jail breaking the device.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
I keep my phone on silent at work or any other quiet places (church, waiting rooms etc)

Sometimes I will put it on silent when I'm having a text convo and the alert tone starts to get annoying.

I also keep it on silent around friends. (They are nosy)

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

I never need to have it on sound. The phone is either close to me or in my pocket so I can always hear the vibrate. If it turn sound on I may forget to turn in off before class in which case I would be screwed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.