Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Marco123
macrumors 6502

Bad QC on iP5 camera.

I am on my second new ip5 and the camera seems to allow dust in far easier than any other iphone camera I've owned.
Is there a QC issue with these new cameras.
Marco123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:08 AM   #2
macingman
macrumors 68020

What do you mean by allowing dust in?

I'm pretty sure the iPhone 5 uses a floating lens so that may be the problem. Do you wipe the lens every so often? Do you use a case which may trap dust/dirt in?

I've never heard of this issue but since it has occurred with both your iPhone 5's you could either be very unlucky, drumming up a non issue or I may be ignorant and not know about this common issue.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Marco123
macrumors 6502

My current ip5 has a tiny hair and few specs of dust under the lens.
I don't use a case but its a non-issue because it doesn't affect my pics.
I thought the cameras were a sealed unit.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:16 AM   #4
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco123 View Post
My current ip5 has a tiny hair and few specs of dust under the lens.
I don't use a case but its a non-issue because it doesn't affect my pics.
I thought the cameras were a sealed unit.
The cameras are a sealed unit, there certainly shouldn't be any dust/hair under the lens. A warranty replacement is in my opinion what should be done.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:34 AM   #5
canyonblue737
macrumors 6502a

Yep after just under two months two large purple looking lint dots appeared in every photo and you could actually see lint under the lens. Apple replaced my phone with a new one immediately which was great but a google search of "dust under lens iphone 5" brings up dozens of folks with the identical issue here on macrumors, apple.com, imore.com and others. i just looked at two iphone 3G and two iphone 4 units i still have (long story) and none have ANY dust under the lens.
canyonblue737 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Marco123
macrumors 6502

I thought so, they obviously are not as sealed as older models but if apple are exchanging phones if it gets worse hen I've nothing to worry about.
Thanks, apple customer service wins again.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:29 AM   #7
ray6712
macrumors regular

m
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:09 PM   #8
DanielCoffey
macrumors 65816

I wonder if the route in for the dust is via the power switch? They should be a sealed unit however.
DanielCoffey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:29 PM   #9
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

i had a speck of dust just out of the field of view of the camera. however, i took it to apple and they cleaned it out in 5 mins. i suggest anyone with the same issue do the same. and it didnt come that way, but the apple genius said it happens sometimes and comes from within the phone itself, not outside.
Apple TV 3rd Generation, Apple AirPort Express 2nd Generation
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:00 AM   #10
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

There's a quality control issue with the iPhone 5's for some reason, but the camera design itself shouldn't let more dust in. I had to have my iPhone 5 replaced because of an extremely large amount of dust inside within 2 weeks of owning my phone. My replacement doesn't seem to have any dust accumulating.

I don't know how the poster above was able to have dust cleaned from the lens. The genius said he was going to dust out the inside but then came back out saying he couldn't. The iPhone 5 opens from the screen side so accessing the rear glass is very difficult.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:16 AM   #11
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kockgunner View Post
There's a quality control issue with the iPhone 5's for some reason, but the camera design itself shouldn't let more dust in. I had to have my iPhone 5 replaced because of an extremely large amount of dust inside within 2 weeks of owning my phone. My replacement doesn't seem to have any dust accumulating.

I don't know how the poster above was able to have dust cleaned from the lens. The genius said he was going to dust out the inside but then came back out saying he couldn't. The iPhone 5 opens from the screen side so accessing the rear glass is very difficult.
i went in there assuming they would replace it, but he infact came back within minutes and the dust was gone. maybe only certain geniuses can take the phones apart. but it was indeed done within minutes. i even mentioned to him how quick that was because im familiar with how hard the iphone 5 is to take apart and i know that cleaning the rear lens is nowhere as easy as cleaning out a 4/4S. he even said yea it is a pain.
Apple TV 3rd Generation, Apple AirPort Express 2nd Generation
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:03 PM   #12
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Mine was replaced......

Mine was replaced but I also seem to think there was dust somehow embedded INSIDE the lens somehow towards the bottom of the pictures.

It may have been this way since I bought it a little over a month ago - I took over 1200 pictures on a vacation trip with it but I don't think any had a plain single color background with little detail or I would have noticed it.

they ended up replacing it but the actual problem stuck out like a sore thumb when I took a picture of high flying birds against a blue sky and the blotch was easily visible and was not removable via microfiber cloth.

I also wonder about dust - this phone seems to be far more susceptible to dust than the iPhone4 and the previous 3g.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone