Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I am on my second new ip5 and the camera seems to allow dust in far easier than any other iphone camera I've owned.
Is there a QC issue with these new cameras.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
What do you mean by allowing dust in?

I'm pretty sure the iPhone 5 uses a floating lens so that may be the problem. Do you wipe the lens every so often? Do you use a case which may trap dust/dirt in?

I've never heard of this issue but since it has occurred with both your iPhone 5's you could either be very unlucky, drumming up a non issue or I may be ignorant and not know about this common issue.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
My current ip5 has a tiny hair and few specs of dust under the lens.
I don't use a case but its a non-issue because it doesn't affect my pics.
I thought the cameras were a sealed unit.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
My current ip5 has a tiny hair and few specs of dust under the lens.
I don't use a case but its a non-issue because it doesn't affect my pics.
I thought the cameras were a sealed unit.

The cameras are a sealed unit, there certainly shouldn't be any dust/hair under the lens. A warranty replacement is in my opinion what should be done.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Yep after just under two months two large purple looking lint dots appeared in every photo and you could actually see lint under the lens. Apple replaced my phone with a new one immediately which was great but a google search of "dust under lens iphone 5" brings up dozens of folks with the identical issue here on macrumors, apple.com, imore.com and others. i just looked at two iphone 3G and two iphone 4 units i still have (long story) and none have ANY dust under the lens.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I thought so, they obviously are not as sealed as older models but if apple are exchanging phones if it gets worse hen I've nothing to worry about.
Thanks, apple customer service wins again.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
QC was bad in general on the ip5.
I think they are becoming way more concerned with selling the phone rather than making sure the phone is sellable.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i had a speck of dust just out of the field of view of the camera. however, i took it to apple and they cleaned it out in 5 mins. i suggest anyone with the same issue do the same. and it didnt come that way, but the apple genius said it happens sometimes and comes from within the phone itself, not outside.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
There's a quality control issue with the iPhone 5's for some reason, but the camera design itself shouldn't let more dust in. I had to have my iPhone 5 replaced because of an extremely large amount of dust inside within 2 weeks of owning my phone. My replacement doesn't seem to have any dust accumulating.

I don't know how the poster above was able to have dust cleaned from the lens. The genius said he was going to dust out the inside but then came back out saying he couldn't. The iPhone 5 opens from the screen side so accessing the rear glass is very difficult.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
There's a quality control issue with the iPhone 5's for some reason, but the camera design itself shouldn't let more dust in. I had to have my iPhone 5 replaced because of an extremely large amount of dust inside within 2 weeks of owning my phone. My replacement doesn't seem to have any dust accumulating.

I don't know how the poster above was able to have dust cleaned from the lens. The genius said he was going to dust out the inside but then came back out saying he couldn't. The iPhone 5 opens from the screen side so accessing the rear glass is very difficult.

i went in there assuming they would replace it, but he infact came back within minutes and the dust was gone. maybe only certain geniuses can take the phones apart. but it was indeed done within minutes. i even mentioned to him how quick that was because im familiar with how hard the iphone 5 is to take apart and i know that cleaning the rear lens is nowhere as easy as cleaning out a 4/4S. he even said yea it is a pain.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Mine was replaced......

Mine was replaced but I also seem to think there was dust somehow embedded INSIDE the lens somehow towards the bottom of the pictures.

It may have been this way since I bought it a little over a month ago - I took over 1200 pictures on a vacation trip with it but I don't think any had a plain single color background with little detail or I would have noticed it.

they ended up replacing it but the actual problem stuck out like a sore thumb when I took a picture of high flying birds against a blue sky and the blotch was easily visible and was not removable via microfiber cloth.

I also wonder about dust - this phone seems to be far more susceptible to dust than the iPhone4 and the previous 3g.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.