Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:15 PM   #1
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a

So I got an iPhone 5 but I have a G5 iMac and can't sync...

Well I got my first ever smartphone and got an iPhone 5. I went to hook it up and sync it up to my iTunes account on my iMac G5 and BAM it tells me I need iTunes 10.7 and you need an intel Mac for that. So WTF am I supposed to do??

I have a MacBook Pro that I use from work that I could use to set up my iPhone, also all of my iTunes library is on an external HD so could I plug that into the MacBook and get the music onto the iPhone that way?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:35 PM   #2
darkside flow
macrumors 6502

Unfortunately no way to do this on a G5. Going to have to use a newer Mac or borrow someone's trusty Windows machine. Shame that a 10+ year PC can do this but a 6 year old Mac can't.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside flow View Post
Unfortunately no way to do this on a G5. Going to have to use a newer Mac or borrow someone's trusty Windows machine. Shame that a 10+ year PC can do this but a 6 year old Mac can't.
Well said.
Its pure Greed.
Not like a G5 cannot run itunes or support syncing an iphone.
Applejuiced is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:41 PM   #4
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a

Well ain't that some bull$@#+ I spend money on another Apple product because I am in the ecosystem only to be screwed for being a loyal customer...
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:06 PM   #5
MadGoat
macrumors 65816

Your computer is nearly 7 years old, running a RISC chip. You need to update to an intel based system, man. You can't expect your antiquated architecture to be supported indefinitely, can you?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:36 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post
Your computer is nearly 7 years old, running a RISC chip. You need to update to an intel based system, man. You can't expect your antiquated architecture to be supported indefinitely, can you?
Have to agree, it is time to upgrade OP.
ucfgrad93 is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:15 PM   #7
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad03xtreme View Post
Well ain't that some bull$@#+ I spend money on another Apple product because I am in the ecosystem only to be screwed for being a loyal customer...
Not that I disagree, but the requirements for the iPhone 5 are/were clearly posted at Apple's website. The system requirements for iTunes 10.7 were/are clearly posted there as well. iTunes 10.7 was released two days before the iPhone was announced and when Apple announced the iPhone 5 it made clear that you needed iTunes 10.7 to sync with it.

I made my preorder purchase on the 14th of September knowing full well I could not sync with the phone. Both the PowerPC forums here and the iPhone forums at Apple had many discussions on this.

That said, there are alternatives. PhoneView will at least allow you to see and interact with the iPhone file system. Dropbox allows you to get photos back and forth as well. But to do a true sync you will need (as has been mentioned) an Intel Mac or a PC.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:26 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
Not that I disagree, but the requirements for the iPhone 5 are/were clearly posted at Apple's website. The system requirements for iTunes 10.7 were/are clearly posted there as well. iTunes 10.7 was released two days before the iPhone was announced and when Apple announced the iPhone 5 it made clear that you needed iTunes 10.7 to sync with it.
Good point. The requirements were well known.
ucfgrad93 is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:33 PM   #9
Nolander07
macrumors 6502

When I got my iphone 4 (first smartphone) a couple years ago I had the same problem with iTunes. I ended up buying a new Mac essentially so I could sync my new iphone. So my $200 phone actually cost me $2000. Oh well, it was worth it.
Nolander07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:00 PM   #10
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

You do know that iPhones are now PC-free. Just use iCloud-based backup/syncing. Problem solved.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:12 PM   #11
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post
Far older Windows computers can run the latest version of iTunes.

It's a bit embarrassing that PCs made in the 90s can run iTunes on Windows, but something made by Apple in 2006 can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
You do know that iPhones are now PC-free. Just use iCloud-based backup/syncing. Problem solved.
The OP clearly stated that they want to sync their music collection.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:22 PM   #12
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Far older Windows computers can run the latest version of iTunes.

It's a bit embarrassing that PCs made in the 90s can run iTunes on Windows, but something made by Apple in 2006 can't.

The OP clearly stated that they want to sync their music collection.
Exactly.
Its not that non-intell macs or older 6 year old macs cannot run the latest itunes or recognize the new iphone.
Its that Apple doesnt allow it for obvious reasons. $$$$$$
Its funny how my 15 year old windows XP computer installs the latest itunes and syncs and recognizes the iphone 5 fine but a newer mac doesnt.
Maybe in 3-4 years your now new mac wont get any more updates by apple so wont be able to recognize your then new iphone, ipad or ipod, apple tv and so on.
So in order to have the newer gadget and be able to use it you will have to keep buying new Apple computers.
Very shady IMO.
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:36 AM   #13
njean777
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Exactly.
Its not that non-intell macs or older 6 year old macs cannot run the latest itunes or recognize the new iphone.
Its funny how my 15 year old windows XP computer installs the latest itunes and syncs and recognizes the iphone 5 fine but a newer mac doesnt.
Maybe in 3-4 years your now new mac wont get any more updates by apple so wont be able to recognize your then new iphone, ipad or ipod, apple tv and so on.
So in order to have the newer gadget and be able to use it you will have to keep buying new Apple computers.
Very shady IMO.
Or you could just bootcamp and have a windows install and never have to deal with this problem...
njean777 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:40 AM   #14
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by njean777 View Post
Or you could just bootcamp and have a windows install and never have to deal with this problem...
I like that idea.
That's thinking out of the box.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:27 AM   #15
eastercat
macrumors 68040

You'll have to tell itunes where the library is, but that's pretty easy. Just make sure you have your hd plugged in when syncing; otherwise, your phone might get wiped.

Quote:
I have a MacBook Pro that I use from work that I could use to set up my iPhone, also all of my iTunes library is on an external HD so could I plug that into the MacBook and get the music onto the iPhone that way?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:45 AM   #16
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

I'd wager it won't be too much longer until the C2D imacs become redundant.
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:57 AM   #17
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Exactly.
Very shady IMO.
It's the difference in chips. Apple aren't going to write software for anything other than intel chips. They make that very clear and have dropped all support for POWERPC with Lion.

I bet the 10+ year old PC wouldn't be usable while running iTunes with a library more than a few songs due to the RAM constraints.
macingman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:03 AM   #18
hobsgrg
macrumors regular

Quote:
You can only bootcamp on Intel based macs! As the RISC architecture isn't compatible with Windows!
hobsgrg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:11 AM   #19
maflynn

Quote:
Not going to work, apple introduced bootcamp after the intel macs hit the street. Since PowerPC Macs cannot run windows, there was no reason for apple to introduce bootcamp.

OP, I understand your frustration but seriously, a 10 year old computer cannot be expected to run and interface with the latest and greatest products. Its not pure greed but rather economics. The number of PPC based Macs are but a tiny percentage at this point and apple as long since dropped PPC from being supported in OSX.

I'd recommend a second hand Mac Mini or MBP if your budget is an issue, otherwise grab a new MBP, iMac or Mac Mini at this point
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:12 AM   #20
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a

So with an iMac G5 there is zero way to get my music onto my iPhone5? Apple doesn't see anything wrong with that? That pisses me off to no end, I understand the announced the specs but why am I not allowed to load music I purchased from their store on a product I bought from them onto another product I bought from them? Seems asinine.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:31 AM   #21
hobsgrg
macrumors regular

Quote:
So with an iMac G5 there is zero way to get my music onto my iPhone5? Apple doesn't see anything wrong with that? That pisses me off to no end, I understand the announced the specs but why am I not allowed to load music I purchased from their store on a product I bought from them onto another product I bought from them? Seems asinine.
No way to sync directly no however you can use iTunes Match do it indirectly
hobsgrg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:47 AM   #22
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobsgrg View Post
No way to sync directly no however you can use iTunes Match do it indirectly
What's the latest version of iTunes for PowerPCs?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:49 AM   #23
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a

I am running 10.6.3 and it says I am up to date.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:40 AM   #24
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
I am running 10.6.3 and it says I am up to date.
It says you are up to date because Software Update does not show you any updates your Mac cannot run. iTunes 10.7 cannot run on PowerPC Macs, hence Software Update does not show it. You are "up to date" with what your Mac is capable of running.

Your options are:
1. Intel Mac with iTunes 7
2. PC with iTunes 7
3. PhoneView (PowerPC)
4. Some other third party PowerPC app that can allow you to access the iPhone file system.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:55 AM   #25
AppleDApp
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Log in to the iTunes store on your iPhone, from there you can download the music you purchased from the store.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone