Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:59 PM   #1
krashx7
macrumors regular

Refurbished iPhone 5 yay or nay?

Seems very tempting through AT&T right now. Would make a great christmas present for the wife. Anyone have any bad experiences(or good) with refurbished iphones?
krashx7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Wouldn't let me do an upgrade on a line using the refurbs.
Just add a new line or for new customers.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Spink10
macrumors 68020

You have full warranty.
Spink10 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:02 PM   #4
krashx7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Wouldn't let me do an upgrade on a line using the refurbs.
Just add a new line or for new customers.
What? Why not? That kinda shoots my whole plan down..
krashx7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashx7 View Post
What? Why not? That kinda shoots my whole plan down..
Yes. Ruined mine too.
Thanks AT&T
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Cevap
macrumors newbie

It let me upgrade my phone line. Just don't click on the iPhone 5 banner but go to the "smart phone" banner on the next row
Cevap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:15 PM   #7
krashx7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevap View Post
It let me upgrade my phone line. Just don't click on the iPhone 5 banner but go to the "smart phone" banner on the next row
thanks I'll give it a try
krashx7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:19 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevap View Post
Cause of my account type it takes me to the premier AT&T site for ordering.
I will check again though.
Hope you're right.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:24 PM   #9
fruitpunch.ben
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashx7 View Post
Seems very tempting through AT&T right now. Would make a great christmas present for the wife. Anyone have any bad experiences(or good) with refurbished iphones?
Definitely yes. Apple is the one company I would have zero qualms about buying refurbished. They check it over again very carefully, and you get the exact same warranty of a brand new product (with the option of extending it by AppleCare(+). In fact, I would guess that a refurbished product has likely been checked over more carefully than a new product and is more likely to free of defects. But that is just a guess on my part.
In fact now Apple has just opened an ebay store for refurbished products (though not the iPhone), at which you can avoid paying taxes (for most states) making refurbished even more of a no-brainer
iPhone 5 64GB Black
fruitpunch.ben is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:28 PM   #10
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yes. Ruined mine too.
Thanks AT&T
what is the price on these refrubs?
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:56 PM   #11
LaynieGorilla
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
what is the price on these refrubs?
Starting at $99 for a 16GB
LaynieGorilla is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:04 PM   #12
romeo0119
macrumors 6502

Got me a 32gig refurb in black, 200 bucks plus tax. Hope it ships in 3-5 days like they said
romeo0119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:05 PM   #13
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitpunch.ben View Post
Definitely yes. Apple is the one company I would have zero qualms about buying refurbished. They check it over again very carefully, and you get the exact same warranty of a brand new product (with the option of extending it by AppleCare(+). In fact, I would guess that a refurbished product has likely been checked over more carefully than a new product and is more likely to free of defects. But that is just a guess on my part.
In fact now Apple has just opened an ebay store for refurbished products (though not the iPhone), at which you can avoid paying taxes (for most states) making refurbished even more of a no-brainer
I'm sorry but your are 100% wrong. I went through at least 5 iPhone 4S refurbs before I said this isn't worth my time anymore.

All had obvious cosmetic issues such has loose rattling sleep wake buttons, light leakage, loose home buttons, one even arrived with dust in the camera lens. I'm very OCD about my phones, but when paying as much as Apple charges, one has to be.

DO NOT believe Apple when they say, "they thoroughly examine these, and they're just as good as new, if not better."
MattMJB0188 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:13 PM   #14
Justinf79
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
I'm sorry but your are 100% wrong. I went through at least 5 iPhone 4S refurbs before I said this isn't worth my time anymore.

All had obvious cosmetic issues such has loose rattling sleep wake buttons, light leakage, loose home buttons, one even arrived with dust in the camera lens. I'm very OCD about my phones, but when paying as much as Apple charges, one has to be.

DO NOT believe Apple when they say, "they thoroughly examine these, and they're just as good as new, if not better."
Well that sucks. Hopefully the iPhone 5 refurb that I just ordered turns out ok.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:30 PM   #15
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaynieGorilla View Post
Starting at $99 for a 16GB
ok...might be worth the risk.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:56 PM   #16
hcho3
macrumors 68030

Definitely ordering this one... for sure.

I will just take it apple store and swap for the new one. There are many reasons to do this and apple will not hesitate to exchange it.
hcho3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:09 PM   #17
fruitpunch.ben
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Well my post was based on my experiences, just as yours is based on yours. I've had less trouble with refurbs than new. But as always, YMMV
iPhone 5 64GB Black
fruitpunch.ben is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:15 PM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:

Yes, sounds like you are way too OCD.
You will notice and act like its a huge deal tiny things that others wont even bother looking at.
Light leaks in the dark? Who cares?
Rattling power button etc..
The phone does have a year warranty so if any of those tiny imperfections become a real problem down the road and the phone doesnt function as it should you can get it replaced.
But some people you cant make happy no matter what. They will go through 100 phones and find them all "defective".
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:39 PM   #19
noteple
macrumors 6502a

From AT&T website

What is a refurbished phone?
Refurbished phones are previously owned devices that have been repaired by a factory-authorized provider to the same functional requirements as a new device. AT&T backs this product with its standard 14-day return period as well as a 90-day warranty on the phone and accessories.

I have had good success with refurbs that came directly from Apple and their 1 yr warranty.

I don't know about iPhone but some open box returns from At&t are just wiped clean and sent back out.

In either case there is a return period where you should be able to wring out your purchase to prevent buyers remorse.
noteple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:44 PM   #20
sillywabbit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by noteple View Post
From AT&T website

Refurbished phones are previously owned devices that have been repaired by a factory-authorized provider to the same functional requirements as a new device. AT&T backs this product with its standard 14-day return period as well as a 90-day warranty on the phone and accessories.

I have had good success with refurbs that came directly from Apple and their 1 yr warranty.

I don't know about iPhone but some open box returns from At&t are just wiped clean and sent back out.

In either case there is a return period where you should be able to wring out your purchase to prevent buyers remorse.
That is THE deal killer! ... unless you can get Apple Care + (or similar insurance).
sillywabbit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:58 PM   #21
Irock619
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
That is THE deal killer! ... unless you can get Apple Care + (or similar insurance).
That's AT&T warranty, not Apple. If you have issues with a refurbished phone from AT&T just go to an Apple store and they'll take care of you.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:43 AM   #22
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by noteple View Post
From AT&T website

This has me wondering.

Is it Apple doing the refurbishment, or someone else?

I've had good luck with Apple refurbished products as I type this from my eleven month old refurbished iPad 2. I don't know if I would trust an Apple product refurbished by someone else.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:24 AM   #23
mandark100
macrumors member

So guys, should I buy a refurbished iphone 5 or go for new one?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:08 AM   #24
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandark100 View Post
So guys, should I buy a refurbished iphone 5 or go for new one?
I would. It's not worth the $200 "to me" any more on contract given the competition right now. Nokia 920's are free, Samsung S3 was free, the HTC DNA is decent at $200 and the Note 2 is just a better phone. So for me I would pull the trigger at $100 but not at $200. That's why we're seeing $100 refurbs so soon and Apple knows it.
cdmoore74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:10 AM   #25
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Nothing wrong with refurbished so I'd say go for it.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone