Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
[EDIT2] Should now be working fine - make sure you remove the old version from the plugin directory - gave me a headache trying to figure why it was still reporting an old version!

flash11_5_PPC.png

I've managed to update our beloved 10.1 plugin to spoof a version of 11.5.502 (current Adobe build). I don't use Flash much, so I'm not sure what functionality they've introduced since 10.1 and thus some sites which actually require these newer features may not work. I have yet to come across one though.

Installation is simple, just replace the existing plugin with the one in the archive. Installation instructions and info are in the download.

Download: http://scriptogr.am/nordkril/post/adobe-flash-11.5-for-powerpc

Last edited:

JadeGreenGirl

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
This would still have all the security vulnerabilities of 10.1 which are many and you want to spread this? Why would any informed person ever want to use this? Do you always share your colds and sickness with people also? That wouldn't be as bad as spreading this.

thorns

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
The only difference to the current version is the identifier string, correct?

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Yes, it's plain old 10.1 under the hood, but the identifier string has been changed to report back that it is 11.5 in order to work with websites which restrict their content to only those running the latest version of Flash.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
This would still have all the security vulnerabilities of 10.1 which are many and you want to spread this? Why would any informed person ever want to use this? Do you always share your colds and sickness with people also? That wouldn't be as bad as spreading this.

And if people didn't use this, they would use 10.1- the security vulnerabilities are the same, the functionality is greater.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
appears to be working good for me, I was hoping someone would update this hack as I was starting to get those unwanted "Update your Flash version" messages again.

macaroniguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
It works as described.

Both Firefox and Aurora report the latest version of Shockwave Flash is installed, both when running Tiger and Leopard on a G5.

Many sites that deny access until you install the current version of Flash become usable, BUT sites that have installed the latest Flash to run on their servers, do NOT work, especially if they are using brand new features.

So this is a great help, but it still stinks that both Apple and Adobe no longer support PPC, and I imagine a real hack to convert/run the Intel version is impossible.

Thanks for what you did make available!

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Thanks for testing guys!

@ChrisMan287 - Are you having problems getting the official Flash player on there in the first place? I was under the impression that the plugin was self-contained - so it might still work if you took the plugin in the archive and dropped it in the relevant folder.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
Are you having problems getting the official Flash player on there in the first place? I was under the impression that the plugin was self-contained - so it might still work if you took the plugin in the archive and dropped it in the relevant folder.

Yup, official one is giving me trouble. TenFourFox doesn't support it anyway (I don't think) but I was going to install another browser to test for you. Weird issue..

boneskid1

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Tiff actually does support flash Google flash in ten four fox on Ppc and you have to go into plugin preferences and make it true

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Hmm that is indeed very strange. I just gave it a try and that site is working fine for me. What browser / OS are you using?

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
The plugin was pulled from a 10.5 machine - though I'm pretty sure it should be working fine on 10.4 too. Did you install it to the root Internet Plug-Ins folder in the one in your home directory? It's possible if you installed it in your home directory that it is conflicting with the one in root.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Same here.. sorta

Yeah, tried out that same site also.. though it doesn't bring up a warning box saying that I need flash 11.5 in order to continue. The flash content simply won't open and play.. just sits there and the streaming circle just spins round and around.

I am using Leopard WebKit - latest version.. Can some one recommend another browser so that I may view the flash content on that site?

tried it on this site:
http://www.surfreport.pt/cam03.php

says I have to download 11.5,but flashplayer version site tells me I have 11.5

cyberghoser1

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
Athens, Hellas
Yeah, tried out that same site also.. though it doesn't bring up a warning box saying that I need flash 11.5 in order to continue. The flash content simply won't open and play.. just sits there and the streaming circle just spins round and around.

I am using Leopard WebKit - latest version.. Can some one recommend another browser so that I may view the flash content on that site?

I tried it with Safari, no problem, works amazingly good.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Yeah, just tried it on my Quad.. No problems there.. The videos DO start up in High Definition 780/1080p, so it brings my PowerBook G4 1.67 DLSD to its knees and there is no lower setting(360p, 480p).

QUOTE=cyberghoser1;16613653]I tried it with Safari, no problem, works amazingly good.[/QUOTE]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.