Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
Hey guys,
Just wondered how you all set up your samples and libraries etc on your Macs.

I have a 13" 2012 MacBook Pro i5 with 16GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD and a 500GB Momentus XT Hybrid HD all fitted inside.

Now the OS and Apps are installed on the SSD which is running pretty fast with read and writes at 415/475.

When i install a VST it all gets installed to the SSD, but when i install an Instrument plugin should i install the whole thing to the HD or install to the SSD and library to the HD?

Also setting up Logic Pro for recording audio, is it best to select the HD as a scratch disk to record vocals etc to?

Thanks.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
I'd put the instruments on the SSD and record to HDD, that's what I do and it works really well

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
how did u get both in there did you take out the optical drive ? i have a macbook pro and was trying to see how i can make my settup like this. i produce in windwos with ableton but i want to move over to mac and logic ( thats why i bought a macbook pro lol )

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
Yes i removed the optical drive and bought a hd caddy from ebay for the second drive to fit and a optical drive external usb enclosure. About £20 for both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.