Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

podiki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Lagovouni
I'm starting to notice I have a lot of smudges coming from the keys on the screen of my 2011 13" MacBook Air. Is this a common thing on these laptops? Or have I just dropped it once too often? :)

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Do you use a keyboard membrane?

I was going to, then my concern for smudges stopped me doing so. Mine happens to be perfect naked, no smudges unless caused my eat&surf sessions. :)

Try cleaning keyboard often see if it helps. Every a couple of days wipe kbd with damp, BUT NOT WET! clean cloth.

podiki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Lagovouni
I find it a bit silly that I would need to use a membrane. I've had many laptops and my most expensive one is designed in away that I can't close the lid without the screen getting dirty. Pity...

Oh well, I'm going to trade in this 13" Air for a 2012 Air with 8GB. Still the best laptop I ever had. ;)

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I'm starting to notice I have a lot of smudges coming from the keys on the screen of my 2011 13" MacBook Air. Is this a common thing on these laptops? Or have I just dropped it once too often? :)

I recommend taking a cotton cloth, such as a washcloth or microfiber, and dampening it with water. Not dripping, just damp. Then open your hinge fully, and gently wipe down the display.

No more smudges :)

Works for me :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.