Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:12 PM   #1
The Peasant
macrumors newbie

Paying for the iMac (UK)

A quick question as i'm not sure on the process, I'f I buy the iMac on friday 27", do they take the money out of my account this friday, or do they take it out when its ready too ship? I know with pre-order's for other websites they generally take money out as its ready too ship, but don't know with apple, but would like to get my order in and potentionally go for a few BTO options if I have another month too save more....
The Peasant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

The money is taken when it ships. I have ordered of the apple web site quite a few times.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:48 AM   #3
The Peasant
macrumors newbie

cheers, know anywhere I can find to confirm this, can't find anything on the apple website
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:31 AM   #4
kaelell
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
The money is taken when it ships. I have ordered of the apple web site quite a few times.
thats hows its worked in personally experience too so no reason to think otherwise
kaelell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:35 AM   #5
cyclotron451
macrumors regular

when I bought a UK Mac mini last week, Apple made a 'test'/'blocking' charge to my card at the time of ordering - it lowered my credit ceiling but didn't appear as a debt, at time of order. It's similar to a care-rental "deposit". When the Mini was shipped, that's when the credit card charge was then applied. I got the mini the day after the charge was made.

My UK iPad mini is similarly shipping on December 10th, I'll actually be debited the blocked amount on that date, the December delivery was highly convenient to spread the credit card repayment until February in my case.
cyclotron451 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:40 AM   #6
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

Yeah they do check you have the funds in your account. So i think your order may get cancelled if you havent got the money available in your account.
boy-better-know is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:46 AM   #7
mazakii
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peasant View Post
A quick question as i'm not sure on the process, I'f I buy the iMac on friday 27", do they take the money out of my account this friday, or do they take it out when its ready too ship? I know with pre-order's for other websites they generally take money out as its ready too ship, but don't know with apple, but would like to get my order in and potentionally go for a few BTO options if I have another month too save more....
I'd rather they take my money immediately, to secure my place in an order queue.
mazakii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:41 PM   #8
The Peasant
macrumors newbie

thats what im thinking, I have the money to get what I want in the bank, but means having no money for 2 weeks, but I would like to be higher in the queue, so would like to use some of the money to survive then replace at payday before they take it out....as don't want to wait and find myself very low down the queue
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:11 PM   #9
mazakii
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peasant View Post
thats what im thinking, I have the money to get what I want in the bank, but means having no money for 2 weeks, but I would like to be higher in the queue, so would like to use some of the money to survive then replace at payday before they take it out....as don't want to wait and find myself very low down the queue
Credit card, sorted!

I'm paying by credit card too. It gives me airmiles when I buy stuff.
Airmiles for big items such as iMac could be well enough for a free flight to somewhere in Europe.
mazakii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:31 PM   #10
lucasfunkt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy-better-know View Post
Yeah they do check you have the funds in your account. So i think your order may get cancelled if you havent got the money available in your account.
I hope they don't do that, if you pay with a debit card.

I don't have quite enough at the moment in my account but will do by the time they dispatch it assuming it won't be within the next 10 days.
lucasfunkt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:47 PM   #11
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfunkt View Post
I hope they don't do that, if you pay with a debit card.

I don't have quite enough at the moment in my account but will do by the time they dispatch it assuming it won't be within the next 10 days.
Well when I bought my retina MBP earlier this year, it took about 3 weeks before it was dispatched and in that time random amounts of money were disappearing and reappearing in my account. I think it's just their way of checking you have the money I suppose.
boy-better-know is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac