Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:53 PM   #1
ivbaseball06
macrumors member

Has anyone figured out a way to plug an Xbox360 into the Thunderbolt iMac yet?

I was browsing around and found the device that was made that worked with the pre-Thunderbolt iMacs. It seems that they never updated to work with the new ones.

I just picked up a 27" and would love to be able to plug a console into it. Has anyone figured out a workaround that works? I figure not, but it's worth a shot!
ivbaseball06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivbaseball06 View Post
I was browsing around and found the device that was made that worked with the pre-Thunderbolt iMacs. It seems that they never updated to work with the new ones.

I just picked up a 27" and would love to be able to plug a console into it. Has anyone figured out a workaround that works? I figure not, but it's worth a shot!
There's no way. Sorry. A LOT of us have been waiting for this support for a long time. I gave up. Thankfully with my 2009 27" iMac I've been able to connect whatever I want, but I've been wanting to upgrade for a while, so I bought a separate monitor for my other devices for the new iMac.

And yes, it's ridiculous to have to do this with a perfectly good 27" screen in front of me, but there you go..
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:30 PM   #3
ivbaseball06
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
There's no way. Sorry. A LOT of us have been waiting for this support for a long time. I gave up. Thankfully with my 2009 27" iMac I've been able to connect whatever I want, but I've been wanting to upgrade for a while, so I bought a separate monitor for my other devices for the new iMac.

And yes, it's ridiculous to have to do this with a perfectly good 27" screen in front of me, but there you go..
What a bummer. I'm actually considering buying another 27" monitor to put beside my desk, just for TV and XBOX. It would be amazing to use the iMac as a true AIO.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:33 PM   #4
mfram
macrumors 6502a

You need an HDMI video capture box. OWC has one available for the Mac, I believe.
mfram is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:55 PM   #5
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfram View Post
You need an HDMI video capture box. OWC has one available for the Mac, I believe.
That's not a perfect solution, from what I gather. Causes input lag and other issues. But I'm not so familiar with it. All I gather is that it's not a "satisfactory" solution.

Others may know more, though...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:54 PM   #6
ivbaseball06
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
That's not a perfect solution, from what I gather. Causes input lag and other issues. But I'm not so familiar with it. All I gather is that it's not a "satisfactory" solution.

Others may know more, though...
Yeah, that would be my concern. Any lag and playing Live would be impossible. It would even make games annoying if you touched a button and a second later saw the result.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac