Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I'm writing a research paper on India's information technology and its growth.

Can you use I.T. / IT as a replacement for "Information technology"? I'm thinking no, but just making sure, as the book I'm using for reference uses "IT" and am really tempted to use it.

Thanks.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
From what I've learned, no but if you quote it, you can keep it as it is.

May 8, 2008
Yes. You would structure it similar to:

India's Information Technology (IT) industry has experience explosive growth in the past fifteen years. India's IT industry has grown steadily due to the fact...

Just make sure to use the full term once with the abbreviation. Then you can use the abbreviation from there on out.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
From what I've learned, no but if you quote it, you can keep it as it is.

Thanks for the quick response.

----------

Yes. You would structure it similar to:

Just make sure to use the full term once with the abbreviation. Then you can use the abbreviation from there on out.

Oh really? Makes it much more convenient lol. Thanks. (Conflicts with the leenak's post, but.. lol)

May 8, 2008
Thanks for the quick response.

----------

Oh really? Makes it much more convenient lol. Thanks. (Conflicts with the leenak's post, but.. lol)

All my experience has been with writing research papers for history and government classes in undergrad using Chicago style and information research papers in information studies for grad school in APA style.

I've never had a problem. Though some professors are picky and don't like abbreviations. However, they usually make that known at the start of the semester.

YMMV.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
All my experience has been with writing research papers for history and government classes in undergrad using Chicago style and information research papers in information studies for grad school in APA style.

I've never had a problem. Though some professors are picky and don't like abbreviations. However, they usually make that known at the start of the semester.

YMMV.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Am using it right now and am planning to ask my professor later if he allows it. If not - find and replace lol.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Yeah, it does depend. I guess I've used abbreviations for other things like NIH (National Institutes of Health) but IT was always something I spelled out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.