|Nov 29, 2012, 05:28 PM||#1|
Roundup of Changes in iTunes 11: 'Expanded View', No Cover Flow, 'Up Next' and More
iTunes 11 has finally arrived, nearly a month after it was originally promised because of the need to "get it right" according to Apple. The app promises a redesigned store, simplified layout, and more.
Aside from the tentpole changes, there are a number of other things -- both promising and confusing -- that have changed in iTunes 11. Here's a selection:
- The default iTunes 11 view removes the sidebar that has been a staple of iTunes since it was first released. The Mac Observer tells us how to get it back. Head to the View menu and select Show Sidebar.
- iPods have come in a wide variety of capacities in their time, but one notable capacity has never graced the device. There has never been a 128GB iPod, though as Sonny Dickson points out, iTunes appears to be ready for such an eventuality. A 128GB iOS device has been consistently rumored over the years, but has yet to make an appearance.
- Users can now redeem store-purchased iTunes Gift Cards by using the camera built into most recent Macs (or Windows machines) to scan the redemption code. This should make redeeming cards quicker and reduce user frustration.
- It has a new icon, as seen above.
- The red/yellow/green buttons at the top left of the window again perform in the standard OS X manner. Previously, the green button would send the iTunes into its special MiniPlayer window. Now, a special icon in the top right corner, next to the full screen button, toggles minimization.
- John Gruber at Daring Fireball notes the new 'Expanded View' mode:
- iTunes DJ, formerly called Party Shuffle, is gone. It's been replaced by the clever 'Up Next'.
- Cover Flow, a major feature when it was introduced, is gone. It's been replaced by the 'Expanded View' mentioned above.
- There seems to be a bug with the AirPlay button. The button, which has been moved from the bottom right to the top left of the main window is missing for some users. Some have reported restoring the button by going to the MiniWindow and activating AirPlay there and it will then appear in the main window. Not all users are affected by the issue, however.
- Many users are reporting label issues within the iTunes and App Stores. As the stores are basically glorified web pages, these issues will likely be fixed server side while Apple gets the bugs shaken out.
Article Link: Roundup of Changes in iTunes 11: 'Expanded View', No Cover Flow, 'Up Next' and More
|Nov 29, 2012, 05:31 PM||#4|
Miss my coverflow already... :'(
Guilty feet do have rhythm, they just dance to the wrong theme music to amuse the villian
Instead of killin', I spare the raccoon n' start fillin' sand bags as I stare at the moon...Thoughts flood
|Nov 29, 2012, 05:36 PM||#10|
I have to say I was a little worried I wasn't going to like this update, but I am pleasantly surprised. It seems like a big improvement over previous versions of iTunes.
17 inch Macbook Pro 2007 Black iPhone 5 32GB Sandy Bridge i7 Hackintosh
|Nov 29, 2012, 05:38 PM||#12|
iPhone 5 Black
|Nov 29, 2012, 05:39 PM||#14|
Bugs, bugs everywhere! Where on earth have you seen a music player crash simply just by clicking the album cover?
They had an additional month and THIS is what they're going to show? I am disappointed.
Last edited by Blackberryroid; Nov 29, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
|Nov 29, 2012, 05:39 PM||#15|
Could this be the end of Cover Flow? (aka. the most amazingly-awesome-gorgeous way to view your media)
*grabs party popper*
Last edited by miniroll32; Nov 29, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
|Nov 29, 2012, 05:39 PM||#16|
Very fast. I like how the text colours match the colours off the album art
32GB iPod U2 Special Edition | MacBook Pro Unibody | 16GB iPhone 4S | 16GB new iPad
|Nov 29, 2012, 05:41 PM||#19|
I'm confused by the "Up Next:" thing... I turn it on and then it goes away as soon as I do anything else and I have to turn it back on again. It just sort of hangs in the middle of the screen and blocks my view of what is underneath.
This should be a side-bar so you can see it, but you aren't constantly opening and closing it.
|Nov 29, 2012, 05:46 PM||#25|
Lots of useful little things gone.
The expanded view is wonderful in theory. But you can't change the columns, so you can't see the iTunes Match status of the songs and you can't get the checkbox column so no way to uncheck that annoying video that you don't want added to Up Next when you add the album.
No sorting in the iTunes store, so the > 80% of the time when you know what album you want, you can't find it becuase things are sorted by the useless popularity with no way to change to sort by name or release date.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Cover Flow and HD||Tech198||Mac Applications and Mac App Store||1||Feb 6, 2014 03:26 AM|
|Selected file doesn't correspond with thumbnail in cover flow view||memo90061||OS X Mavericks (10.9)||4||Nov 8, 2013 02:00 PM|
|Cover flow?||dvir971||iOS 7||4||Jul 6, 2013 03:54 PM|
|iTunes 11.03 Album Cover View Limited to 400X400?||Partron22||Mac Applications and Mac App Store||2||May 30, 2013 03:08 AM|
|Cover flow?||Dwalls90||Mac Applications and Mac App Store||0||Nov 29, 2012 07:00 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.