Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:28 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Roundup of Changes in iTunes 11: 'Expanded View', No Cover Flow, 'Up Next' and More

iTunes 11 has finally arrived, nearly a month after it was originally promised because of the need to "get it right" according to Apple. The app promises a redesigned store, simplified layout, and more.

Aside from the tentpole changes, there are a number of other things -- both promising and confusing -- that have changed in iTunes 11. Here's a selection:

- The default iTunes 11 view removes the sidebar that has been a staple of iTunes since it was first released. The Mac Observer tells us how to get it back. Head to the View menu and select Show Sidebar.

- iPods have come in a wide variety of capacities in their time, but one notable capacity has never graced the device. There has never been a 128GB iPod, though as Sonny Dickson points out, iTunes appears to be ready for such an eventuality. A 128GB iOS device has been consistently rumored over the years, but has yet to make an appearance.

- Users can now redeem store-purchased iTunes Gift Cards by using the camera built into most recent Macs (or Windows machines) to scan the redemption code. This should make redeeming cards quicker and reduce user frustration.

- It has a new icon, as seen above.

- The red/yellow/green buttons at the top left of the window again perform in the standard OS X manner. Previously, the green button would send the iTunes into its special MiniPlayer window. Now, a special icon in the top right corner, next to the full screen button, toggles minimization.

- John Gruber at Daring Fireball notes the new 'Expanded View' mode:
Quote:
I think my favorite new design element is what Apple is calling "Expanded View". In a graphical list of albums or movies or shows, you click one and it opens in a subview right there under the album/movie/show. Instead of going to a new view, you stay where you are. No way to get confused about where you are, more of a sense of direct manipulation. I think this is a brilliant design for everyone, particularly typical users. And there's a neat trick: the colors for the song listing are chosen algorithmically based on the album or poster art. (Examples: here and here.) Very clever, very fun. It's a digital approximation of going through real-world albums or DVD jewel boxes and opening them in place -- with the custom color palettes, the listings feel like the "inside" of the albums.
- Gruber also noticed that the 'Up Next' menu displays differently on retina and standard displays. "On regular displays, the Up Next icon is a bullet list. But on retina displays, it's a numbered list with minuscule numerals."

- iTunes DJ, formerly called Party Shuffle, is gone. It's been replaced by the clever 'Up Next'.

- Cover Flow, a major feature when it was introduced, is gone. It's been replaced by the 'Expanded View' mentioned above.

- There seems to be a bug with the AirPlay button. The button, which has been moved from the bottom right to the top left of the main window is missing for some users. Some have reported restoring the button by going to the MiniWindow and activating AirPlay there and it will then appear in the main window. Not all users are affected by the issue, however.

- Many users are reporting label issues within the iTunes and App Stores. As the stores are basically glorified web pages, these issues will likely be fixed server side while Apple gets the bugs shaken out.

Article Link: Roundup of Changes in iTunes 11: 'Expanded View', No Cover Flow, 'Up Next' and More
MacRumors is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:30 PM   #2
iphone495
macrumors member

So far so good. In my experience so far, it's A LOT snappier.
iphone495 is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Sky Blue

AirPlay didn't show up for me until I updated my Apple TV to 5.1.1
Sky Blue is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:31 PM   #4
TwinCities Dan
macrumors 603

Miss my coverflow already... :'(
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Bangolufsen
macrumors member

clicked agreed and forgot to read the print
what benefits were made by clicking agreed and can it be reversed?
Bangolufsen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:34 PM   #6
iphone495
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangolufsen View Post
clicked agreed and forgot to read the print
what benefits were made by clicking agreed and can it be reversed?
You MUST ALWAYS read the ToS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sglZGSwK6ow

LMFAO!!!
iphone495 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:35 PM   #7
chumawumba
Banned

Love the new icon
chumawumba is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

So basically the update is purely fluff. Nothing of substance to speak of. Apple have been dropping the ball recently so this comes as no surprise.
Puevlo is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:36 PM   #9
asd789789
macrumors member

No Cover Flow, no download
asd789789 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Shorties
macrumors 6502a

I have to say I was a little worried I wasn't going to like this update, but I am pleasantly surprised. It seems like a big improvement over previous versions of iTunes.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:37 PM   #11
mhobb
macrumors newbie

Sidebar icons

The sidebar icons are now back to color. That's new.
mhobb is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:38 PM   #12
bobbytallant
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

- Gruber also noticed that the 'Up Next' menu displays differently on retina and standard displays. "On regular displays, the Up Next icon is a bullet list. But on retina displays, it's a numbered list with minuscule numerals."
This undoubtedly now makes my rMBP worthwhile.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:38 PM   #13
Radio
In Time-Out

Love that apple released this late over rushed!!

Yay new mgmt!!
Radio is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:39 PM   #14
Blackberryroid
Banned

Bugs, bugs everywhere! Where on earth have you seen a music player crash simply just by clicking the album cover?

They had an additional month and THIS is what they're going to show? I am disappointed.

Last edited by Blackberryroid; Nov 29, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Blackberryroid is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:39 PM   #15
miniroll32
macrumors 6502a

Could this be the end of Cover Flow? (aka. the most amazingly-awesome-gorgeous way to view your media)

*grabs party popper*

Last edited by miniroll32; Nov 29, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
miniroll32 is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:39 PM   #16
EBreakingWave
macrumors member

Very fast. I like how the text colours match the colours off the album art
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:40 PM   #17
anzio
macrumors regular

So far so good! Loving the changes.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:40 PM   #18
macosxuser01
macrumors 6502

****a coverflow
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:41 PM   #19
topmounter
macrumors 68000

I'm confused by the "Up Next:" thing... I turn it on and then it goes away as soon as I do anything else and I have to turn it back on again. It just sort of hangs in the middle of the screen and blocks my view of what is underneath.

This should be a side-bar so you can see it, but you aren't constantly opening and closing it.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:41 PM   #20
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

Want coverflow back.
Bathplug is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:42 PM   #21
hutch34
macrumors member

I really like 11 so far. The interface is just much more modernized and looks nice.

Everything seems snappier too.
hutch34 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:42 PM   #22
pablo7
macrumors 6502

Will all the ghost tracks on my iphone finally go away? ?? Greyed out tracks that wont play or get deleted with this bloated piece of software.
pablo7 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:43 PM   #23
nwcs
macrumors 6502a

Yay! No more cover flow. It never seemed like a good UX design...
nwcs is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:45 PM   #24
tech4all
macrumors 68040

No Coverflow? No thanks, I'll stick with iTunes 10 then.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:46 PM   #25
honus
macrumors newbie

Lots of useful little things gone.

The expanded view is wonderful in theory. But you can't change the columns, so you can't see the iTunes Match status of the songs and you can't get the checkbox column so no way to uncheck that annoying video that you don't want added to Up Next when you add the album.

No sorting in the iTunes store, so the > 80% of the time when you know what album you want, you can't find it becuase things are sorted by the useless popularity with no way to change to sort by name or release date.
honus is offline   20 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion