Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Rick2020
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Order now or wait?

Hey guys,

I'm just waiting to hit the order button on my 2005 macbook which is slowly dying. Streaming vids has been a pain the ass last few years. Not only that but working with Imovie and even light programs like Itunes and Office products have been hell.

As a not too rich student living in the Netherlands I decided to go with the better 21.5 Imac and the fusion drive.
I'm a student commercial economics but I have a passion for a little bit of video editing and programs such as photoshop and illustrator. So I think this one definitely fits my needs.

The question is:
Order right away, or wait till the first batch is shipped and order at the end of December or maybe even the beginning of January ?

Thanks everyone.
Rick2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Galatian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick2020 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm just waiting to hit the order button on my 2005 macbook which is slowly dying. Streaming vids has been a pain the ass last few years. Not only that but working with Imovie and even light programs like Itunes and Office products have been hell.

As a not too rich student living in the Netherlands I decided to go with the better 21.5 Imac and the fusion drive.
I'm a student commercial economics but I have a passion for a little bit of video editing and programs such as photoshop and illustrator. So I think this one definitely fits my needs.

The question is:
Order right away, or wait till the first batch is shipped and order at the end of December or maybe even the beginning of January ?

Thanks everyone.
And what exactly are you going to gain by waiting? A little more context is needed...
__________________
iPhone 5S Gold 64 GB -- 13" retina MacBook Pro
Galatian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:19 AM   #3
bflowers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
No one can answer that but you! If you can afford the purchase now, and you've made up your mind, then go ahead and order. If you are worried about being out of town over the holiday (live at school and going home over a break) than wait until the estimated shipping fits your needs.
bflowers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Rick2020
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
And what exactly are you going to gain by waiting? A little more context is needed...
What I meant was: will the first shipping batch have problems like yellow screens etc. or will it not have such problems. The money is waiting to be spend. Thanks for your reply btw
Rick2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Been waiting since February. Can't wait any longer. Ordered this morning. Can't wait to retire my PC!
__________________
iMac 21.5 2013, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2/4/Air Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 2.8/24-70 2.8/14-24 2.8/60 Macro 2.8/10.5 Fish eye 2.8
Apple fanboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Rick2020
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Been waiting since February. Can't wait any longer. Ordered this morning. Can't wait to retire my PC!
Me 2 since February. Crazy long wait, thank god I managed.
Rick2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Swordylove
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Wait??? Hell no!
__________________
~
Swordylove is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:12 AM   #8
photoz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Ordered this morning as well, hoping it arrives early!!
photoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:14 AM   #9
comatose81
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Do you also solicit anonymous internet strangers on whether you should go to the bathroom now or later?
comatose81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:26 AM   #10
Rick2020
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by comatose81 View Post
Do you also solicit anonymous internet strangers on whether you should go to the bathroom now or later?
Hilarious just wanted to know as it seems the first batch always has some sort of problems to it.
Rick2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:47 AM   #11
sdo1982
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Vancouver
I'm waiting... I wasn't going to, but 1040 for the 768 option has really made me think again... As I see it, I can pay 3000+ for the spec i want from apple, or I can pay 2000 and void my warrenty fitting my own SSD, neither is ideal!
3000+ and I am thinking I should a) Continue struggling using my old MacBook and works Win Vista machines or b) Pick up a refurb mini
Both would be stop gaps until we see the new Pro... But what if that is 12 months away? Can I wait that long?
sdo1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:50 AM   #12
Jingleballz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Buy Apple Care with your purchase and order it now. Why wait!?
Jingleballz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:53 AM   #13
pukingpixels
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sweden
You'd better push the button and let us know.
pukingpixels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:18 PM   #14
Rick2020
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Pushed the button
Rick2020 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:23 PM   #15
xgman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
It's now 3-4 weeks for the 27"'er.
__________________
{2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-UAD Apollo/Marantz/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins Sound-Impulse 61}
{ipads}{iphones}{LG G3}
xgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:56 PM   #16
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick2020 View Post
Pushed the button
Good choice. I was about to post... if you don't order now you'll likely have to wait because Tim Cook already said they have significant production issues with the panels.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Order Now or Wait EezyE iPad 14 Nov 24, 2013 09:55 PM
Order MBA now or wait for Mavericks nagihcim1 MacBook Air 7 Jul 3, 2013 10:41 PM
Wait, so when does pre-order start? DayOfChaos iPad 24 Oct 26, 2012 02:20 AM
Do you have to activate when you order or can you wait? MacLifer iPhone 3 Sep 21, 2012 09:42 AM
Order 4 now or wait for 4S drop (UK) Solarsail iPhone 2 Aug 22, 2012 02:33 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps