Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:53 AM   #1
masp84
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
For the ones freaking out about Storage choices.

I was searching the web for 2 TB docks (one SSD and another SATAIII) and set them in daisy chain. I stumbled upon this product:

Drobo DRDR5A21

Specs:
  • 2 x Thunderbolt ports; second port for daisy chaining Thunderbolt devices (Mac OS X only)
  • 1 x USB 3.0 port
  • Up to five (5) 3.5" SATA I / II / III hard disk drives or solid state drives (sold separately) and one (1) mSATA solid state drive in the Drobo Accelerator Bay for increased performance
  • Drives of any manufacturer, capacity, spindle speed, and/or cache
  • No carriers or tools required
  • Expandable by adding drives or hot-swapping drives with larger ones

Sounds interesting, what do you think? it has a new "BeyondRaid tech" with its own algorithm.
http://www.demosondemand.com/DemoSta...94&startTime=0

Last edited by masp84; Dec 1, 2012 at 04:05 AM.
masp84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:07 AM   #2
StephenAndrew
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Connecticut, USA
I watched about 45 seconds of that video before I wanted to punch that guy in the face...

That said, I've heard mixed reviews about Drobos. One of the biggest complaints I've heard is that Drobo uses a proprietary read/write system, so in the event of a failure of the Drobo (not just one of the drives, but the unit itself), your data is basically held hostage until you find a Drobo-based solution. You can't just pop the drives into another enclosure and copy the data over, so you're forced to use another Drobo in order to retrieve your stuff. I have no personal experience with them, but I've considered giving it a shot as a working drive...but definitely not as a backup solution.

----------

Not to mention it's bloody expensive, especially when you add a handful of decent drives to stick in it!
__________________
27" iMac | 15" rMBP | iPad rMini | iPhone 5s | Couple o' iPods
CT Wedding Photographer | Facebook
StephenAndrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:51 AM   #3
masp84
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenAndrew View Post
I watched about 45 seconds of that video before I wanted to punch that guy in the face...

That said, I've heard mixed reviews about Drobos. One of the biggest complaints I've heard is that Drobo uses a proprietary read/write system, so in the event of a failure of the Drobo (not just one of the drives, but the unit itself), your data is basically held hostage until you find a Drobo-based solution. You can't just pop the drives into another enclosure and copy the data over, so you're forced to use another Drobo in order to retrieve your stuff. I have no personal experience with them, but I've considered giving it a shot as a working drive...but definitely not as a backup solution.

----------

Not to mention it's bloody expensive, especially when you add a handful of decent drives to stick in it!
Well they offer 3 year warranty and it's practically a fusion drive in a box but way more ahead of it, not to mention storage options from Apple are bloody expensive. I'm really looking forward for the write/read test and to see if I can set this as my main HD on a new iMac
masp84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:19 AM   #4
kennyap
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by masp84 View Post
I was searching the web for 2 TB docks (one SSD and another SATAIII) and set them in daisy chain. I stumbled upon this product:

Drobo DRDR5A21

Specs:[LIST][*]2 x Thunderbolt ports; second port for daisy chaining Thunderbolt devices (Mac OS X only)[*]1 x USB 3.0 port
I have one of these, this is actually the Drobo 5D. It's working well, and fast too - ex/ 230MB/sec sustained write to my iMac internal SSD. I have 5x4TB drives plus a 128GB mSata SSD drive for cache in the unit.
__________________
iMac 27" 3.4ghz 680mx 840 Pro SSD 512gb
2012 13" rMBP | 2011 27" Imac 3.5ghz 2gb vram
2011 MBP 17" | 2011 MBA 11" & 13"
kennyap is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
masp84
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyap View Post
I have one of these, this is actually the Drobo 5D. It's working well, and fast too - ex/ 230MB/sec sustained write to my iMac internal SSD. I have 5x4TB drives plus a 128GB mSata SSD drive for cache in the unit.
That's great numbers! we'll use 2 SSD 256GB and fill the rest with Seagate Barracudas @ 7200 rpm, It'll be like a Mega fusion drive. I hate the name of the thing though
masp84 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freaking UPS! RiddlaBronc iPhone 29 Dec 2, 2013 11:05 AM
Is New Jersey freaking retarded? LIVEFRMNYC Wasteland 23 Aug 29, 2013 09:38 PM
iMac with 768 Flash Storage - Which external drive for Lightroom photo storage? pete78 Digital Photography 7 Apr 5, 2013 02:43 AM
Speedtest app freaking out SilentLoner iPhone and iPod touch Apps 8 Jan 5, 2013 06:51 AM
Those two freaking black bars... tobiasfunke iPhone 82 Oct 9, 2012 01:55 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC