Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:52 AM   #1
imjoee
macrumors 6502

Which Mac should I buy? Please help

I'm going back and forth with the new iMac 21.5in 16GB ram for 1450, or the MacBook Air 13" 1400 8GB ram once they announce a new one in summer 2013. I take a tons of photos, I do a lot editing, I need a lot of space, which Mac should I buy and what specs should I get? Ill do my homework on it including iWork, Lightroom, photoshop, Final Cut Pro, photo editing, YouTube videos etc, which Mac would fit my best bet? Please help, I also want it to past 5+ years.
imjoee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:07 PM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Get the iMac. It is much more powerful, more screen real estate, more storage, all of which is good for photo editing. I don't think the Air will do what you need it to do from the get-go, and it certainly wouldn't last 5+ for that type of use.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Do you need portability? That is the only reason to consider the MBA.

Biggest difference is screen size, quality, and lack of discrete graphics in MBA. If you do effects in PS then discrete graphics would be a huge benefit. Also editing pics is easier on a bigger monitor with higher resolution.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:24 PM   #4
imjoee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Get the iMac. It is much more powerful, more screen real estate, more storage, all of which is good for photo editing. I don't think the Air will do what you need it to do from the get-go, and it certainly wouldn't last 5+ for that type of use.
If I do get the iMac, what kind of specs am I looking at? I want it to last 5+ years. Thanks

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Do you need portability? That is the only reason to consider the MBA.

Biggest difference is screen size, quality, and lack of discrete graphics in MBA. If you do effects in PS then discrete graphics would be a huge benefit. Also editing pics is easier on a bigger monitor with higher resolution.
It would be nice to have some portability, main key is lasting time. I want it to last long. I was looking at the base model 21.5in with 16gb ram, will that be good enough for 5+ years?
imjoee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac