Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:09 PM   #1
kylera
macrumors 6502a
 
kylera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seoul
iPad 4G's battery life shorter than the 2's?

I have the cellular version of the latest maxi iPad, and somehow it feels like it lasts a bit shorter than the 2, which I had prior. I note that some reviewers said that as well, and I was wondering if it is the case. I can figure out why it could be shorter, given the screen and the extra processing oomph, and it isn't so short that I can't do anything, so I'm not disappointed or anything.
__________________
Current Macs: 2012 13" MBA | 2011 27" iMac | PowerBook G4 12" | eMac 700Mhz
Current iOS: iPad 4 3G 64GB | iPhone 4S 16GB
kylera is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:39 PM   #2
SunnyRenegade33
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to SunnyRenegade33
My iPad lasts an incredibly long amount of time. I usually end up charging it every two days with casual use. It really depends on what you set your brightness to. If its set on 100% then your device is going to drain through battery power relatively quickly.
__________________
SunnyRenegade33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:57 PM   #3
kylera
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
kylera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seoul
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyRenegade33 View Post
My iPad lasts an incredibly long amount of time. I usually end up charging it every two days with casual use. It really depends on what you set your brightness to. If its set on 100% then your device is going to drain through battery power relatively quickly.
I have the brightness set to auto-adjust, and I use the iPad in relatively dark places most of the time. The brightest it gets is when I'm in the bus heading somewhere and it's sunny outside - if not that, then it doesn't get horribly bright.
__________________
Current Macs: 2012 13" MBA | 2011 27" iMac | PowerBook G4 12" | eMac 700Mhz
Current iOS: iPad 4 3G 64GB | iPhone 4S 16GB
kylera is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Shadow%20Mac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Send a message via AIM to Shadow%20Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
I have the cellular version of the latest maxi iPad, and somehow it feels like it lasts a bit shorter than the 2, which I had prior. I note that some reviewers said that as well, and I was wondering if it is the case. I can figure out why it could be shorter, given the screen and the extra processing oomph, and it isn't so short that I can't do anything, so I'm not disappointed or anything.
Granted I have the WiFi only (No LTE) version, but the battery life last way longer than the iPad 2 for me.
__________________
15" rMBP Intel Core i7 2.7GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 512GB Flash Storage (Mac OS X 10.10); iPhone 6 64GB AT&T (iOS 8.1); iPad 4 Wi-Fi 32GB (iOS 8.1)
Shadow%20Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Batavian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
The iPad 2 lasts longer. Fewer pixels, less power consumption.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review/8
__________________
I miss the down arrow.
Batavian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
LTE chews through battery life, even on standby. when you know you won't be using LTE, turn off cellular and watch your battery life drastically improve.

also, i found a lot of quirks with my iPad 4 were solved with a full iOS restore (erase data and settings). for some reason, initially it was stuttering and heating up really badly. after i wiped it clean and restored it again, everything went back to normal.

perhaps your battery life will improve too
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:12 PM   #7
kylera
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
kylera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seoul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
LTE chews through battery life, even on standby. when you know you won't be using LTE, turn off cellular and watch your battery life drastically improve.

also, i found a lot of quirks with my iPad 4 were solved with a full iOS restore (erase data and settings). for some reason, initially it was stuttering and heating up really badly. after i wiped it clean and restored it again, everything went back to normal.

perhaps your battery life will improve too
Damn, even though I have a 3G plan? That sucks...

Maybe I should just ditch my backup and do a full restore as well. Thanks for your input.
__________________
Current Macs: 2012 13" MBA | 2011 27" iMac | PowerBook G4 12" | eMac 700Mhz
Current iOS: iPad 4 3G 64GB | iPhone 4S 16GB
kylera is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:32 AM   #8
Batavian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
also, i found a lot of quirks with my iPad 4 were solved with a full iOS restore (erase data and settings). for some reason, initially it was stuttering and heating up really badly. after i wiped it clean and restored it again, everything went back to normal.

perhaps your battery life will improve too
This reportedly worked for the iPad 3. Might be worth a shot. Good tip.
__________________
I miss the down arrow.
Batavian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:40 AM   #9
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
just finished an article comparing Tablet battery life. Ipad with retina is the best in its class of around 13 hours with wifi on. Ipad 2 is 9.30 hours.

Like above comment, i think LTE will eat your battery like lunch time snacks. Im wondering whether i should sell my 2 and get a 4????
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:22 AM   #10
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
just finished an article comparing Tablet battery life. Ipad with retina is the best in its class of around 13 hours with wifi on. Ipad 2 is 9.30 hours.

Like above comment, i think LTE will eat your battery like lunch time snacks. Im wondering whether i should sell my 2 and get a 4????
only if you truly need the Retina display. but a word of caution - once you go Retina it's very hard to go back.

if you want Retina, i advice is to get an iPad 3 16GB refurb for $379. if you need more space then get a 32GB for $449. the reason why i say this is bc i have used both the iPad 4 and iPad 3 extensively and the difference right now is negligible. if you are thinking about getting the iPad 5, you would be flipping it in the near future and the iPad 3 refurbs will actually depreciate less from the refurb purchase price than a brand new iPad 4 from the full retail price

i ended up ditching my iPad 4 bc of light bleed issues and got the same 64GB LTE config for $679 (vs $829 for the iPad 4). for anyone who says the iPad 4's added resale value will make up that $150 is a giant fool

Last edited by Medic311; Dec 6, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:09 PM   #11
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
My 4 lasts bit more then the 3, but less then the 2 and 1. BUT it lasts the day, when I get home, I have enough charge to use it for an hour or 2, then it hits the charger and left overnight for another day of abuse
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:42 PM   #12
touchu4g
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
My iPad 4 Wifi lasts about 14 hours with a full charge. My friend has an iPad 2 and he gets 8 hours on it...
touchu4g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:09 PM   #13
ucdesai
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Eventhough Retina display uses more power than iPad 2, Ipad 3 got a major batery capacity boost. So comparatively both should have approx. same battery life time. Ipad 4 should be same as ipad 3. As some people already pointed out it really depends upon the brightness and graphic intensive apps.
ucdesai is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: Battery life IPad air vs iPad mini retina kruso2 iPad 2 Oct 25, 2013 08:53 PM
ios7's effects use the gpu and cpu, so your battery will always be shorter. Zellio iOS 7 3 Sep 22, 2013 11:24 PM
iPad mini short battery life (is there a standardized battery test?) vladobizik iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 9 Jan 27, 2013 05:47 PM
iPad: iPad 4 has shorter Batt Life than iPad 3? metsjetsfan iPad 2 Nov 6, 2012 02:55 PM
Battery life shorter with 6 jsf721 iOS 6 5 Sep 20, 2012 12:51 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC