Ipod Touch 5 VS Iphone 4S (as an Ipod) - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:05 AM   #1
cooa99
macrumors regular

Ipod Touch 5 VS Iphone 4S (as an Ipod)

Hi Guys,

I am considering moving away from the use of an iphone as a communication device, hence looking at the Galaxy S3 as a likely contender. However I am still tied to apple ecosystem due to other apple products I have e.g. Ipad2, ATV2,ATV3,MBPrand daughter's ipod Touch 4 .....

So I was thinking of buying a new Galaxy S3 and a New Ipod Touch 5.

Then it occurred to me that rather than buying a new Touch 5, I could simply use my Iphone 4s sim free as an ipod....!

So if we completely ignore the obvious such as purchase costs, Weights and presence/absence of sim slot, does the new Ipod Touch 5 have any advantage/disadvantage over the Iphone 4S ?

cheers

cooa99
cooa99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:25 AM   #2
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooa99 View Post
So if we completely ignore the obvious such as purchase costs, Weights and presence/absence of sim slot, does the new Ipod Touch 5 have any advantage/disadvantage over the Iphone 4S ?

cheers

cooa99
I'm not sure that you can ignore the idea of having to buy something vs. using something that you already own.

That aside, the primary advantages that the touch would hold over the 4S are the larger screen and less breakable body.

Disadvantages include a slightly less wonderful camera and no GPS.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooa99 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am considering moving away from the use of an iphone as a communication device, hence looking at the Galaxy S3 as a likely contender. However I am still tied to apple ecosystem due to other apple products I have e.g. Ipad2, ATV2,ATV3,MBPrand daughter's ipod Touch 4 .....

So I was thinking of buying a new Galaxy S3 and a New Ipod Touch 5.

Then it occurred to me that rather than buying a new Touch 5, I could simply use my Iphone 4s sim free as an ipod....!

cheers

cooa99
Don't bother spending money to get yourself a new iPod Touch when your 4S can already carry out all of it's functions. If you're just listening to music, the 4S is more than capable of doing that. Just take out your SIM card, turn on airplane mode and you're all set.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Eddy Munn
macrumors 6502

If you can sell your iPhone 4S for more than a new iPod Touch, that may be a viable solution.
You will have some money to put towards your new Galaxy S3 too.

2013 13" MacBook Air +iPad Mini with Retina Display + iPhone 5.
Eddy Munn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 01:56 PM   #5
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

The screen alone is worth it in my opinion. I still think its a bit small but it's a HUGE improvement over the 3.5inch size. Going back to the 4s and other devices is painful. Everything feels squashed and cramped.
TacticalDesire is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
The screen alone is worth it in my opinion. I still think its a bit small but it's a HUGE improvement over the 3.5inch size. Going back to the 4s and other devices is painful. Everything feels squashed and cramped.
But if he only wants to listen to music on it, I don't think there's a need for a bigger screen.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:31 AM   #7
cooa99
macrumors regular

I received a Touch 5 64B from apple yesterday so looks like I am going to return it back again.
I am not going to be watching video on it's bigger screen size is lost on me.

The only advantage of the Touch 5 over Iphone4s is its better front facing camera, so looks like I will stick with the Iphone 4s and possibly buy the Galaxy S3 as well

cheers guys
cooa99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:25 AM   #8
jspandorf
macrumors newbie

for the majority of differences, the iPhone is the better way to go. Yes, you may have a bigger screen to work with on the touch, but you get more functionality out of the 4S.
jspandorf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 01:59 PM   #9
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspandorf View Post
for the majority of differences, the iPhone is the better way to go. Yes, you may have a bigger screen to work with on the touch, but you get more functionality out of the 4S.
How does a deactivated iPhone 4s do any more than the touch?
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch