Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_11_icon-150x150.jpg
In his review of iTunes 11, AllThingsD's Walt Mossberg notes that Apple is preparing a minor update to address several issues with the initial release of the software. Among the changes included in the update will be the return of a feature that allows users to find duplicate songs in their libraries.
A feature that finds duplicate entries is missing. Apple says it will soon be restored in a minor update of the program.

In my tests, some album covers were missing in album view. Apple says this is a rare bug, but one it has solved and will fix in a minor update soon. Another bug the company says will be remedied prevents owners of Apple TVs from wirelessly streaming cloud-based movies to their TVs.
Mossberg also reports that Apple has no intention of bringing back the Cover Flow view of album art, with the company finding that few users were interested in it and the new Expanded View offering a fresh take on integrating large album art into library browsing.

Article Link: Upcoming iTunes 11 Update to Restore Duplicate Search, Fix Album Art and Movie Streaming Bugs

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
cover flow = skeumorphism, its on its way out then...

itunes 11 design / UI could be the basis for OS X 10.9, which is good imo

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Mossberg also reports that Apple has no intention of bringing back the Cover Flow view of album art, with the company finding that few users were interested in it and the new Expanded View offering a fresh take on integrating large album art into library browsing.

Will it be disappearing from other places? Short list of places I've seen it outside of iTunes:
- iAd Producer
- Finder
- iOS Music App (if you hold it in landscape)
- Desktop Safari Bookmarks/History page (this is actually a good idea, but it seems that sometime within the last few months Google results have completely F'ed up history... in the page they show up as empty frames and in the history menu it's garbled up Google URLs. IDK if it's Safari 6 or some recent changes to Google that rendered history borderline useless if you do a lot of Google searches – and who doesn't?)

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Why dont they upgrade the sound engine too so that we can stop using applications like Amarra or PureMusic in order to get some descent sound quality?

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Hope they fix TV Series Artwork. Currently if you have multiple season of the same series iTunes 11 only displays the artwork for the first season which ever episode / season you are viewing. This seems unique to iTunes 11 and Apple TV still shows the correct artwork, would be good to have the unique artwork relevant to the season re-instigated in an iTunes 11 update.

amtctt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
Has anyone been able to find if there is still a way to sort by the most recently added music? that is probably the most or 2nd most common way i sorted my music. if i buy a bunch of new stuff and just want to listen to it, i just want to sort that way and not have to create a "new" play list for it.

frankwrang

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
What about the getting the search field to finally filter audiobooks when selecting a particular book to be synced to a connected iOS device? This has been bugging me for years. When typing something in the search field, it will filters books, but does not filter audiobooks.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Has anyone been able to find if there is still a way to sort by the most recently added music? that is probably the most or 2nd most common way i sorted my music. if i buy a bunch of new stuff and just want to listen to it, i just want to sort that way and not have to create a "new" play list for it.

If anyone finds out I'd sure like to know. This was how I sorted my music most often.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Why dont they upgrade the sound engine too so that we can stop using applications like Amarra or PureMusic in order to get some descent sound quality?

Not to derail the thread, but can you teach me what you mean by this? I wasn't aware that there were apps that had better sound quality than iTunes. Or, put another way, I didn't realize that iTunes had bad sound quality (unrelated to inherent mp3-type issues). I'm quite curious. Thanks.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

It's still got the "Recently Added" smart playlist.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Hope they fix TV Series Artwork. Currently if you have multiple season of the same series iTunes 11 only displays the artwork for the first season which ever episode / season you are viewing. This seems unique to iTunes 11 and Apple TV still shows the correct artwork, would be good to have the unique artwork relevant to the season re-instigated in an iTunes 11 update.

Different seasons of the same TV show show up separately in my iTunes library, with their unique season artwork.

blodyholy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
Iowa

In song view, right clicking and adding the "Date Added" column allows for this. Is that not what you meant?

jtrenthacker

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I'm probably the minority, but I used coverflow when listening to music on my computer. I liked being able to glance at my screen to see what album was playing when I shuffled my music. Also, they have gotten rid of the now playing window in the lower left. I used this for two things. First: Like coverflow, I was able to see what album was being played. 2: When adding new artwork to tracks (I prefer to add my own artwork), I could just drag and drop the artwork into this window and add it to multiple tracks at once. This option is now gone. Now I have to select each track individually, go to info, select artwork tab and add it. That is a pain in the buns when adding multiple tracks to my library. Does anyone know of another way?

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009

You can still do this under Song view... Just right click on the top bar and select either "date added" or "date modified".

darrynsmith

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Cover Flow no loss

Wow, am I glad to see Cover Flow gone. I found it to be one of the least usable UI developments of recent years. It read to me, from day one, as a hardware/OS showcase with little practical utility.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Different seasons of the same TV show show up separately in my iTunes library, with their unique season artwork.

yes but if u click on them in album view the background doesnt change. like i got season 1-5 of friends and if i click from 1 to 4 i still see the background color of season 1

Jperkinski

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
If anyone finds out I'd sure like to know. This was how I sorted my music most often.

Yes, you can still do this. It must be done in "song view", and if you don't see the date added column, you must hover your cursor over one of the existing column headers like artist or name, and then right click and you'll see other options that you can add like date added and bit rate etc.

They sure hid it, but you can definitely get it back.

timtempest

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
Tokyo, Japan.
"Among the changes included in the update will be the return of a feature that allows users to find duplicate songs in their libraries"

Phew! That was holding me back from updating.

My kids are not going to be happy about the lack of cover flow though. It's how my 3 year old chooses what to listen to.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Hope they fix the bug where the column browser selection is not persistent when switching back and forth between views.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.