Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:31 PM   #1
iMas70
macrumors 6502

How Do I View Files On My Hard Drive?

I've been searching the web before posting and I'm sure some of you are probably smiling because it's a simple process but I'm lost right now.

How do I view the files on my hard drive? On a PC, I use Windows Explorer. That shows Documents, Pictures, Music, any external devices like a camera, hard drives ect...

I'm using a Seagate GoFlex Pro to move some pictures/files from my PC to the Mac. I just can't find how to see everything so I can drag the files to the appropriate location on the Mac.

And if there is a guide that shows "if you do this on a Mac, it's like doing this on a PC", that would be great!

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:32 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMas70 View Post
I've been searching the web before posting and I'm sure some of you are probably smiling because it's a simple process but I'm lost right now.

How do I view the files on my hard drive?
The Mac equivalent of Windows Explorer is Finder. There is an icon for it located on the left end of your Dock (at the bottom of your screen).

This may be useful, especially the Mac 101 and Switch 101 links in the first section of the following:
Helpful Information for Any Mac User
Mac Pro & Mac mini Fast Start: The new user's guide to the Mac
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:39 PM   #3
iMas70
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
The Mac equivalent of Windows Explorer is Finder. There is an icon for it located on the left end of your Dock (at the bottom of your screen).

This may be useful, especially the Mac 101 and Switch 101 links in the first section of the following:
Helpful Information for Any Mac User
Mac Pro & Mac mini Fast Start: The new user's guide to the Mac

Thank you! I just put my head down and shook it! I've seen that icon a hundred times but didn't think it was used for that. And thank you for the other suggestion too!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

Take a look at David Pogue's "Missing Manual: Switching To The Mac" for your specific Mac operating system. It does an excellent job of explaining the differences between Windows and the Mac OS, as well as lots of information about how to use a Mac. It can be very helpful if you want to migrate from Windows to Macs and you need help moving data from your PC to a Mac.
Mojo1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:25 PM   #5
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
Take a look at David Pogue's "Missing Manual: Switching To The Mac" for your specific Mac operating system. It does an excellent job of explaining the differences between Windows and the Mac OS, as well as lots of information about how to use a Mac. It can be very helpful if you want to migrate from Windows to Macs and you need help moving data from your PC to a Mac.
I used this when bought a Mac and it was extremely helpful getting the terms straight.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help