Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which keyboard do you use?

• Wireless keyboard

Votes: 73 48.7%
  • Wired keyboard with numeric keypad

Votes: 58 38.7%
  • 3rd party keyboard

Votes: 19 12.7%

• Total voters

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Are you guys using the wireless keyboard or the wired one with numeric keyboard, or maybe a third party keyboard?

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I want the numeric keyboard, so I am wired right now. I may switch to wireless when my iMac gets here just to see if I like it. I can always change back.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I prefer to use numerical pad so I also need the wire. A wireless and numerical keyboard would be great.
For iPad and Mac Mini I have two wireless KB around.

ForceGhost

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Bournemouth, UK
I like the feel of the old wired numeric keyboard. It was more clicky and every now and then i switch to it but for the most part i use the wireless. Why? Because i hate wires.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Me, I hate wireless. I don't want to worry about keeping two sets of batteries EACH for the keyboard AND the Touchpad, and making sure the spare is charged when the other set has run down. To say nothing of the environmental impact.

And if you ever need to boot to the Recovery Partition or do other maintenance, you need to faff around with pairing up the devices before you can do anything.

I've even installed the Mobee Power bar in my Touchpad, which provides constant power via USB instead of a battery. If there was a USB version of the Touchpad, so I could turn Bluetooth off, that would be great.
I recommend the Mobee products: they make a whole range of induction rechargers for Apple peripherals.

The keyboard and mouse/touchpad sit on my desk, two feet away from the computer. They don't need to be wireless.

Gascogne

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Sweden

Attachments

• filco_tenkeyless_ninja_swedish_large.jpg
    filco_tenkeyless_ninja_swedish_large.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 79

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I use the wired one for a number of reasons. I use the numeric pad, and I use the buttons to the left of it (whatever they are called). I also use the keyboard's USB ports frequently, and also, on the wireless keyboard the extra fn-button messes up most of of my commands that include ctrl, - I don't have this problem with the wired one.

I also have no need for it to be wireless (even if it would be nice sometimes), and I hate changing batteries.

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
My current iMac and my on order iMac have the wired keyboard, I like to charge my phone and plug my cf card reader in.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Wireless Keyboard because it works iPads and iPhones.

Can always by a 3rd party keyboard later.

zemzabob

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
I just use the standard wireless keyboard but I do really miss the number pad.

yanksno1

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Also went with the wired. At work had the wireless keyboard, and could never get comfortable typing on it. The keys seemed too close together, and I missed the delete key and numeric keypad. The 2 extra usb ports are nice on it, but I'd trade those for a wireless version of the keyboard.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I've always used the wired keyboard with numeric keypad, and I love it. However, with the new iMac, I decided to choose a wireless keyboard for several reasons.

1. to keep a clean design with no wires
2. because I also bought an Apple battery charger to go along with my iMac
3. because I can use this keyboard with my iOS devices

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
I want the numeric keyboard, so I am wired right now. I may switch to wireless when my iMac gets here just to see if I like it. I can always change back.

I am about to leave the darkside (as soon as my 27" iMac arrives) and I anticipate missing my 'Model-M' style, buckling-spring keyboard with the num-pad.

I am very likely going to spring for one of these num-pad attachments.

D'OH !

Should have read the entire thread prior to posting :eek:

One of the reviews at the Apple Store says this extension num-pad is plastic. Oh snap!

Last edited:

wayne905

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Maple, Ontario, Canada
why doesn't Apple sell a wireless with Num Pad? People want one. I for one would buy one. On my BTO iMac I chose a wireless keyboard, which is what I also have on my other iMac. I'm thinking I may end up buying a wired one down the road, so I have the numpad

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I use the wired one for a number of reasons. I use the numeric pad, and I use the buttons to the left of it (whatever they are called). I also use the keyboard's USB ports frequently, and also, on the wireless keyboard the extra fn-button messes up most of of my commands that include ctrl, - I don't have this problem with the wired one.

I also have no need for it to be wireless (even if it would be nice sometimes), and I hate changing batteries.

Does the wired keyboard feature usb 3 ports? Now that would be a major plus!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.