Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1
applefiend95
macrumors regular

Torque

I know this is totally irrelevant but i figured one you people may be good at this:

Joe is using a torque wrench to tighten the head bolts his monster truck. The required torque is 80 foot-pounds. The wrench handle is 18 long. How much force does Joe have to apply to properly tighten the bolts? While he tightening, his wrench measures 29 foot-pounds at a particular point. He turns the bolt farther exactly 45 degrees. The measured torque is now 50 ft.-lbs. He turns the bolt farther exactly another 45 degrees. The measured torque is now 69 ft.-lbs. Predict how many more centimeters he must move the wrench handle to reach 80 foot-pounds of torque. Predict the torque at which the bolt will begin to break.

the final torque they need to have is 11 => 80-69=11
help please. thanks in advance
applefiend95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:11 PM   #2
ashleypenny
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefiend95 View Post
I know this is totally irrelevant but i figured one you people may be good at this:

Joe is using a torque wrench to tighten the head bolts his monster truck. The required torque is 80 foot-pounds. The wrench handle is 18 long. How much force does Joe have to apply to properly tighten the bolts? While he tightening, his wrench measures 29 foot-pounds at a particular point. He turns the bolt farther exactly 45 degrees. The measured torque is now 50 ft.-lbs. He turns the bolt farther exactly another 45 degrees. The measured torque is now 69 ft.-lbs. Predict how many more centimeters he must move the wrench handle to reach 80 foot-pounds of torque. Predict the torque at which the bolt will begin to break.

the final torque they need to have is 11 => 80-69=11
help please. thanks in advance
Joe needs to do his own homework else the bolts will break!
ashleypenny is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:23 PM   #3
ideal.dreams
macrumors 68000

1) Do your own homework, it'll benefit you later.
2) This is a forum for discussing iMacs, not Torque
ideal.dreams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:48 PM   #4
iohass
macrumors regular

the answer is potatoe
iohass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:49 PM   #5
jkautosports
macrumors regular

just use rf sin theta
jkautosports is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:34 PM   #6
joe-h2o
macrumors 6502a

The answer is twice half as much.
joe-h2o is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:19 PM   #7
digitalfailure
macrumors regular

Joe should have used a snap on tech-angle torque wrench and then he could have watched the torque applied reading rise and see the torque applied for a given angle of rotation on a lovely LCD display. That way he'd get the head tightened down a damn site quicker

digitalfailure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:02 PM   #8
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

It is quite simple really, [redacted]. But you know, you really should learn to do your own homework.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:21 PM   #9
iJohnHenry
Banned

It's patently obvious.

iJohnHenry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:46 PM   #10
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefiend95 View Post

Joe is using a torque wrench to tighten the head bolts his monster truck. The required torque is 80 foot-pounds. The wrench handle is 18” long. How much force does Joe have to apply to properly tighten the bolts? While he tightening, his wrench measures 29 foot-pounds at a particular point. He turns the bolt farther exactly 45 degrees. The measured torque is now 50 ft.-lbs. He turns the bolt farther exactly another 45 degrees. The measured torque is now 69 ft.-lbs. Predict how many more centimeters he must move the wrench handle to reach 80 foot-pounds of torque. Predict the torque at which the bolt will begin to break.
for the unlined part, could you just use t=rf, so 80=1.5f, so f = 53.3 of force. 1.5 is from the 18 inches, convert your units.

for the bold part, wouldn't it be just anything over 80 ft/lb?

and the middle part 11 = 1.5f so the force is 7.3 (not sure about unit for this, I normally use newtons because i use SI units). Now how to get the centimeters from that force, not sure. might give you an idea though.

also, this could be totally wrong lol

Last edited by wordoflife; Dec 9, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion