Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:17 PM   #1
///M Powah
macrumors member

Why did you pick Black or White for iPhone 5?

I chose White because I love how the white one is more shinier and it shows less scratches than the black one and I think it stands out more. So why did you pick black or white for your iPhone 5? Do you regret it and want to exchange it for another color?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:19 PM   #2
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

Picked black for two reasons,

1. In my opinion, the white looks too feminine.
2. The black one made me think of batman, therefor I had to buy it. Why you ask, I have no idea.
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:20 PM   #3
///M Powah
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlinerG View Post
Picked black for two reasons,

1. In my opinion, the white looks too feminine.
2. The black one made me think of batman, therefor I had to buy it. Why you ask, I have no idea.
I just want to know people's opinions and it's just for fun actually...
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:31 PM   #4
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

I picked the white because I think it looks more "fancy", and sleek.
I absolutely love the chrome looking back, and sides.
I've also only had black iphones in the past so it was time for a change!

I didn't like the black this time around because to me it looks dull. (not shiny)

I'm female, but I wouldnt choose the whitely solely because of that.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:31 PM   #5
alexander25
Banned

always wanted an all black iPhone (no silver). this is the closest thing to it.

the white does look good too.
alexander25 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:04 PM   #6
albertxp06
macrumors regular

The black one looked more sleek and "dangerous."

The white one looks great though and I would not have complained if I had bought that.
albertxp06 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:05 PM   #7
saberahul
macrumors 68040

I got the black, matches my style.
Black car, black clothes (always a suit), black sunglasses, black rims, black watch, black gloves, black car interior, black shoes, black belt, black phone, black case on black phone, i could keep going…
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:09 PM   #8
iTorment
macrumors member

Black because the slate looks so darn cool. I've always wanted a white iPhone though, I have the opportunity to get a corporate mobile phone and I may use that to get a white iPhone 5.
iTorment is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:14 PM   #9
Psycho Mantis
macrumors member

When you're watching movies or video, the black border gives a more "immersive" experience.

And I didn't like that extra visible sensor in addition to the face time camera.
Psycho Mantis is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:14 PM   #10
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Black because if I picked white it would make me feel insecure about my man hood.
duneriderltr450 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:14 PM   #11
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Black = sleek and sophisticated, gives a better cinematic experience when watching movies, more mature (mostly really young people get white Apple products - usually girls, too), black Apple iPhones are the default, don't stand out as much and less vulnerable to being stolen. Also, the white iPhones shows dirt a lot easier than the black iPhones do. I don't really mind the finger print issue on black iPhones because they're easily removable. The dirt that accumulates on the white iPhones are harder to get rid of. At the end of the day, though they are both really great products.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0

Last edited by SnowLeopard OSX; Dec 10, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:15 PM   #12
Duckit
macrumors regular

Black. In my opinion it looks more sophisticated. You can't go wrong with either color though.
Duckit is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:33 PM   #13
Skika
macrumors 68020

Black. It looks like a stealth bomber.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:43 PM   #14
jwlbel
macrumors newbie

White, because I have always had black iPhones and wanted a change.
Also, my husband got the black so it is easier to tell our phones apart.
jwlbel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:47 PM   #15
Scott2345
macrumors regular

Black, I love the murdered out look of it. The white is to shiny to much bling.
Scott2345 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:00 PM   #16
tmgarvey
macrumors member

I've never owned a white phone (or iPad or anything else, for that matter), and I was all set to buy the black phone. I read about the possibility of scratches on the black aluminum, and that sort of thing makes me a little nutso, so I started thinking about the white phone. Then when I looked at them in the store, that decided me. Both are pretty phones, but the white and silver is really striking.

It felt weird for a while looking at a white phone in my hand, but I've gotten rather fond of it. And the kicker, for me, was finally finding my "perfect" case for it. All in all, I am extremely happy with my choice. I don't think I would have chosen white in a larger phone (the white just makes it look bigger), but for the iPhone it's perfect.
tmgarvey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:07 PM   #17
jstar002
macrumors regular

Don't have an iphone5 yet... Generally I only drive black cars and use black phones; it looks sexier, more powerful, conveys authority and respect. I like to be taken serious perceive a "powerful" image... I LOVE driving a black car; it gets dirty fast but I feel "powerful" driving it, like people take me seriously and give me more respect. It's probably all in my head but as long as it makes me "feel" that way then why not?

However, from what I've been reading black iphone5 shows scratches faster which is the only reason why I am leaning towards white... however, aesthetically black looks better.

Look at Presidents and Prime Ministers; do they drive white cars? No, they always get chauffeured in black cars because it looks more "official" and "prestigious". I want to be taken seriously. Nothing looks more powerful than a black Benz or BMW.... However, I don't want a scratched up iphone so I still have to consider white...

Last edited by jstar002; Dec 9, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
jstar002 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:27 PM   #18
tienathlon
macrumors member

Black
- the slate finish is amazing(looks like a steath bomber as someone has said)
- the white is awesome too but it is kind of a fancy, celebrity thing. And I am not into that.
tienathlon is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:31 PM   #19
ineel
macrumors regular

sunlight

I live in the central valley of California where its very hot during the summers. Having a black iphone 4 prior to the 5, it would heat up extremely quick in any direct sunlight. So far the white 5 has been mostly cool to the touch even with direct sunlight on it.
ineel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:38 PM   #20
ercsliberty
macrumors 6502

white, had black before, wanted a change
ercsliberty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:40 PM   #21
jstar002
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienathlon View Post
- the white is awesome too but it is kind of a fancy, celebrity thing. And I am not into that.
Actually, I AM into that and what you just wrote made me want the white one even though I generally prefer black.. I like the fancy celeb thing... How is the white one more celeb? Cause Kim Kardashian has one? I've seen her take pics of herself holding the new iphone5 in white... What other celebs have the white one?
jstar002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:46 PM   #22
Oppressed
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar002 View Post
What other celebs have the white one?
Johnny Ive and Tim Cook for one thing.
Oppressed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:49 PM   #23
jstar002
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppressed View Post
Johnny Ive and Tim Cook for one thing.
I had to google those people... Didn't know who they were... Apple execs... lol
jstar002 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:05 PM   #24
ant the ninja
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar002 View Post
Don't have an iphone5 yet... Generally I only drive black cars and use black phones; it looks sexier, more powerful, conveys authority and respect. I like to be taken serious perceive a "powerful" image... I LOVE driving a black car; it gets dirty fast but I feel "powerful" driving it, like people take me seriously and give me more respect. It's probably all in my head but as long as it makes me "feel" that way then why not?

However, from what I've been reading black iphone5 shows scratches faster which is the only reason why I am leaning towards white... however, aesthetically black looks better.

Look at Presidents and Prime Ministers; do they drive white cars? No, they always get chauffeured in black cars because it looks more "official" and "prestigious". I want to be taken seriously. Nothing looks more powerful than a black Benz or BMW.... However, I don't want a scratched up iphone so I still have to consider white...
I beg to differ.

On that note, I will be getting a white 5 when I upgrade.
ant the ninja is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:11 PM   #25
jstar002
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
I beg to differ.

On that note, I will be getting a white 5 when I upgrade.
The white Mercedes looks great but can you imagine a head of state, President or Prime Minister driving it? Or a billionaire business tycoon? The white Benz is more like something a young yuppie would drive... However, a real powerful person (like the leader of the most powerful country in the world); Can you imagine Obama being chauffeured in a car like that? I don't think so.

Driving that customized Benz would most likely get you pulled over faster by the cops of anything. It doesn't convey real authority. People are more likely to think that there is someone "important" driving a black S500 that is stock (not lowered or customized).

The white Benz looks like it belongs to a racer/ricer that got his first high paying job....

Last edited by jstar002; Dec 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
jstar002 is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone