Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ellisd27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
When Handbraking movies, using Meta X for taggin, & then importing into iTunes 11, the files get dumped into the HOME VIDEO section. Everything works normal, just not in the MOVIE section of iTunes. Once I cmd-I to Get Info & change the file to a iTunes MOVIE, it gets moved but only the audio will play, the video is black.

Tried moving the file out of the Movies folder to the desktop; didn't work, same issue. Tried retagging in Meta X; same issue. All software used is up-to-date.

Help me MacRumors Forum, you're my only hope.

Last edited:

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
just done one this morning, but in slightly different steps (not sure if it makes a difference

Rip DVD with Handbrake using Apple TV2 preset
Add Movie to iTunes
Run MetaX on the movie thats in iTunes
Get Info and change type to Movie

Does the Movie before you used MetaX play ok, should be in the trash as MetaX moves it there and creates a copy?

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
As Meta X is no longer being developed, you would probably be better to use something like Identify. I have not used Meta X for a while, but when I did, I found that the results weren't always reliable.

ellisd27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
just done one this morning, but in slightly different steps (not sure if it makes a difference

Rip DVD with Handbrake using Apple TV2 preset
Add Movie to iTunes
Run MetaX on the movie thats in iTunes
Get Info and change type to Movie

Does the Movie before you used MetaX play ok, should be in the trash as MetaX moves it there and creates a copy?

Before importing into iTunes everythings fine. Once iTunes imports it, a .mV4 (Handbrake's High Profile setting creates this kind of a file) becomes a HOME MOVIE, but it still plays ok. It's after switch the media in iTunes from HOME MOVIE to MOVIE that the files goes to the black screen w/ audio.

I'll try the AppleTV preset & report back.

BTW I've never had luck adding meta data in any program to a iTunes file; I always do that first then import into iTunes.

Thanks for your help.

----------

As Meta X is no longer being developed, you would probably be better to use something like Identify. I have not used Meta X for a while, but when I did, I found that the results weren't always reliable.

Following Identity link now. I've used Handbrake for 3 years & not had any problems.

Thanks for your help. & my God man, you have a Cube?!?!?

ellisd27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Thanks for everyone's help. Meta X is left behind; I could add artwork, rename the file & everything's fine. But once I tagged the rating or add director/actors = black screen & audio only.

iDentify is the way to go. Everything tested & works great.

W/o your help, my boys couldn't watch ParaNorman on any phone or tablet & that, my friends, would be a bad, bad thing.

thanks again

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Glad you got your problem sorted

Never had any issues with Metax, but as it in no longer being developed I am thinking of trying identify also

quick question on it, when you use ratings, does it allow you to use UK ratings for films?, I don't mind if this is not automatic aslong as I don't have to use the US ratings

neal52206

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Try Meta Z

If you have a Mac and you are still using Meta X, download Meta Z. It's exactly the same as Meta X but is still being developed and updated. I like it better than Identify. I have not had any issues using Handbrake or adding metadata with Meta Z and adding to iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.