Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Masterhalifax
macrumors newbie

NEW iTunes...!

AAAAHHHHH...

So my memory was full on my Macbook Air, so i transferred all my Tunes library across to an external hard drive and deleted it off my MacAir. I opened it from my external drive and it opened no issues....

Later i updated my MacAir, this included new iTunes 11.0. Now i cant open my iTunes from my Hard drive, its states -

The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now? (which isnt true, it was created by an older version!

Then i click download and this message appears -

An unknown error occurred (-42408)

I have tried iTunes preferences - Advanced and selecting new library but it wont let me select from external drive (its faded out)...

HELP...
Masterhalifax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:36 PM   #2
AcesHigh87
macrumors 6502a

Have you tried trashing the iTunes preferences? I haven't seen this issue before but that might jump-start it working again and allow you to set your external as your library source.

If that doesn't work I have a hunch that you'll have to re-download iTunes and re-import your library.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Masterhalifax
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh87 View Post
Have you tried trashing the iTunes preferences? I haven't seen this issue before but that might jump-start it working again and allow you to set your external as your library source.

If that doesn't work I have a hunch that you'll have to re-download iTunes and re-import your library.
How do i 'trash preferences'?

I tried to delete the NEW iTunes but it wouldn't let me..
Masterhalifax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:40 PM   #4
AcesHigh87
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterhalifax View Post
How do i 'trash preferences'?

I tried to delete the NEW iTunes but it wouldn't let me..
Go to:

Code:
~/Library/Preferences/
(to access the library select finder and hold option while clicking Go, library will appear)

and search for
Code:
com.apple.iTunes.plist
When you find it just delete it. When you re-open iTunes it will be rebuilt and all your preferences will be default which may allow you to set them the way you like.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help